Cassette range question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Cassette range question

Post by ootini »

If I wanted to replace the HG500 cassette on an Arkose D2, with this: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-deore- ... tte-11-42t will it be a straight swap, or would I need a wolf tooth goat thing?
techno

Re: Cassette range question

Post by techno »

ootini wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:09 pm If I wanted to replace the HG500 cassette on an Arkose D2, with this: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-deore- ... tte-11-42t will it be a straight swap, or would I need a wolf tooth goat thing?
I fitted that cassette with my long cage deore mech. Only needed a longer b screw, and it didn't really need that.
Should be fine depending what mech you're running.
ootini

Post by ootini »

According to Evans the rear next is a Tiagra 4700 gs, but I don't know if that is long or short, so to speak.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Another Q, if I left the 11-32 On one set of wheels, put the 11-42 On another set, would swapping between the two be doable, or would I be forever adjusting the mech and chain ?
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Can't really answer your questions apart from when I went from 11-36 to 11-42 the new chain had to be cut 2 links longer than the old one,and I'm presuming using a road mech your gonna need a road link ,32-42 is a big difference
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Another Q, if I left the 11-32 On one set of wheels, put the 11-42 On another set, would swapping between the two be doable, or would I be forever adjusting the mech and chain ?
Even if they're the same wheels on the same hubs it's likely you'll be adjusting them. Ive got three sets of wheels for my OO Fatty, all on the same hubs, and every swap over requires some fettling. Also, you might find that as the chain wears, it will only really work smoothly with the cassette you use the most, as they wear together, if that makes sense.

As to the original question, I'd just give it a go. Looking at pix of the Tiagra mech, it looks like it will handle a 42t, but there are so many variables when it comes to that end of things. If it doesn't work, a Goat Link should do the trick. I've got one on my bike and I'm running a long cage XT on a 46t top. All the maths said it shouldn't need the Link but it did and it works very well, thank you.

HTH
I'm just going outside ...
ootini

Post by ootini »

Thanks folks. If the 42t for neddedvthe link, would I then have to remove it when going back to the 32t ?
jameso

Post by jameso »

ootini wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:56 pm Thanks folks. If the 42t for neddedvthe link, would I then have to remove it when going back to the 32t ?
To get good/best shifting yes, but it'll probably work with it left on there. Just with more chance of mis-shift. It's like screwing in the b-tension all the way when you don't need to, gap between mech and cassette increases and means the shift can be less accurate.

I'm a big fan of having a gear range that suits all that a bike does and leaving it like that :wink:
ootini

Post by ootini »

jameso wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:02 am
ootini wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:56 pm Thanks folks. If the 42t for neddedvthe link, would I then have to remove it when going back to the 32t ?
To get good/best shifting yes, but it'll probably work with it left on there. Just with more chance of mis-shift. It's like screwing in the b-tension all the way when you don't need to, gap between mech and cassette increases and means the shift can be less accurate.

I'm a big fan of having a gear range that suits all that a bike does and leaving it like that :wink:
Jameso, as the resident Arkose expert, can you confirm the cassette linked to above would be a straight fit ?
jameso

Post by jameso »

The Shimano tech book says it won't work, Tiagra mech max capacity won't handle a 42. I don't know whether the long GS cage length will take the slack across that range either, but it should do (edit, nope, wrong - it wont when front ring range is considered). Whether it's all workable with links and adjustments I'm not sure, not from experience anyway sorry.

An 11-36 should go on fine and 32-36 is a fairly low gear for this type of bike. You could go 30T up front also, 30-36 is almost as low as as 32-42.
Last edited by jameso on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ootini

Post by ootini »

jameso wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:31 am The Shimano tech book says it won't work, Tiagra mech max capacity won't handle a 42. I don't know whether the long GS cage length will take the slack across that range either, but it should do. Whether it's all workable with links and adjustments I'm not sure, not from experience anyway sorry.

An 11-36 should go on fine and 32-36 is a fairly low gear for this type of bike. You could go 30T up front also, 30-36 is almost as low as as 32-42.
Thank you. Very much appreciated.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

With the new 105 and ultegra rear mechs that officially support 11-34 people have gone up to 11-40 on the back with just b-screw adjustments (avoiding big-big). There was a road.cc article on it.