Genesis longitude yay or nay

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Leerowe76

Genesis longitude yay or nay

Post by Leerowe76 »

After owning a high lat genesis which I loved and don’t really know why I sold on anyway after looking at the longitude the 2016 had an alloy fork and then went back to a steel fork on newer models anyone got one in here and what’s their impressions/review on the bikes basically for the money I’m guessing there a great value pack horse 👍🏼 TIA
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
middleagedmadness

Re: Genesis longitude yay or nay

Post by middleagedmadness »

Had a 2017 for the last 2years ,it's virtually replaced my full suss unless it gets really bumpy ,done long days and it's really comfy ,the only downside is it's a touch lardy but so is the owner so no problem, it's one bike I don't plan on replacing anytime soon also it's got a straight steerer so quite limited if you want to swap out the fork
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

got a 2016 i think [ second hand from here - the alloy fork/tapered steerer year]

Never ridden it rigid and use a FS fork [ if you are worried about weight you bought the wrong bike]
I really like it and have no intention of replacing it
have ridden it in 650 b + 29 er and SS [ in both]
Very adaptable bike with sliding dropouts that is comfy as can be
Basic kit and weight* are drawbacks but the price is a massive plus point.

I like mine so much that if i were to replace it it would be with a titanium version of it.

I m north of manchester if you want to throw a leg over one and try [ clearly I am not selling it ] a medium

* weight currently is 31 lbs - I can get sub 30 with my other suspension fork on it. Its not as bad as I thought. The back wheel alone weighs 6 lb with the standard deore casette [ currently off the bike as just setting up a new tubeless tyre.]
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Another Longitude owner here - 2017, steel fork.

Done many, many (mostly) happy hours on it. No, it's not the lightest, and sometimes you'll wish it was, but that's probably true of any bike.

I found the stock brakes developed the common Shimano "micro-leak" problem after a year or so, so they've been replaced with some SRAM Guides now.

Messing with different bar setups at the moment.

Otherwise it's stock (now I've put the original WTB Trailblazers back on).

Go tubeless (obviously). Easy enough to do, once you've got the tyres off the rims with the aid of a crowbar or similar :lol:
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Not really to fussed over the weight of these as I know roughly what they from when I owned the high latitude aiming for comfort and loading up with bags and value for money seems to tick the box 👍🏼
survivor

Post by survivor »

2015 owner here and love it to bits.

A colleague bought a 2017 and sat together they are no different other than colour. Frame is identical. I'm guessing they just went back to the original design but kept the 27.5+ sales pitch of the 2016. It'll still run big 29er tyres if needed.

Actually they did beef the fork up now I think about it. His is chunkier than mine.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I have a 2016 model fitted with Rockshox Judy forks and love it. The only thing I'm not so keen on is having to constantly take into account pedal strike due to the low BB height.
faustus

Post by faustus »

My mate has got on older model designed for 29+. I've ridden it a couple of times and I love it, very capable and ideal for bikepacking. Imagine the current ones are just as capable.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Just out of interest as I can’t find it anywhere are the newer Longitudes 142 or 148 boost ?? CIA 👍🏼
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

My 2017 definitely isn't boost , pretty sure is 135 qr and the front 100
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Cheers, doesn’t seem to have any info on the reviews or specs descriptions 👍🏼
Only asking as I’ll want an additional set of 29er Hope wheels to go with the bike as well as the 650+
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Mine is Boost front 110mm and QR 135mm rear
2016 vintage alloy fork and tapered.