Stooge 19 deg bend bar

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Stooge 19 deg bend bar

Post by redefined_cycles »

Anyone got any experiences. I cannot afford the lighterweight Jones versions and dont wish to add almost half a KG of bars after dropping weigjt so carefull elsewhere...

I've put doen my name for a set of these (well, just the one bar actually) and wondered if anyone has any experience or thoughts (did i say that already :o )?

Wonder how much they weigh??
http://stoogecycles.co.uk/product/moto-bar/
Chew

Re: Stooge 19 deg bend bar

Post by Chew »

Have a set on my Stooge and they work really well with the frame.
Great for trail riding but feel they would be too wide for long distances
techno

Post by techno »

On one OG bars are a good compromise on cost, I run mine with some barends further in than the levers for a Jones light (of cost and weight) setup.
IMG_28062019_195106_(1000_x_396_pixel).jpg
(49.18 KiB) Downloaded 2364 times
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBOOOG/on ... -handlebar
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:06 pm
From that page "Weight – 270 grams."
redefined_cycles

techno mail wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:02 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:06 pm
From that page "Weight – 270 grams."
:???: yup seen that bit soon after posting... Means its only minimal grams over or under my current carbon Nukeproof Warheads.

Just getting the 'bicycle' prepared for any longer stints so dont end up with numb fingers for too long/at all.

Thanks Chew and TM for the input and experiences aswell. Unfortunately with the oneOne/PX, its possible Stan (the Sonder) has an allergy to the OG bars (but its more likely just a sensitivity :lol: )...

Will wait for the Stooge to come into stock and it can only add value and mental strength out on the trails...
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:21 pm :???: yup seen that bit soon after posting... Means its only minimal grams over or under my current carbon Nukeproof Warheads.

Just getting the 'bicycle' prepared for any longer stints so dont end up with numb fingers for too long/at all.

Thanks Chew and TM for the input and experiences aswell. Unfortunately with the oneOne/PX, its possible Stan (the Sonder) has an allergy to the OG bars (but its more likely just a sensitivity :lol: )...

Will wait for the Stooge to come into stock and it can only add value and mental strength out on the trails...
If you're anti PX there's these which are going to be my next set. I find Jones type bars have too much backsweep for me: https://eu.ritcheylogic.com/eu_en/bike/ ... -handlebar
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As much as I love my Stooge, I can't get on with the bars. Just too high and wide for me ... however, I believe this was Andy's intention, so they do exactly what they're designed to do but I'd class them as more of a hooning about bar than a distance one.
May the bridges you burn light your way
composite

Post by composite »

Just to add in another option. I have the Salsa Bend 2 bars, both the 17 and the 23 degree versions. They are called the Bend Deluxe now.

They worked out great for me, solving some wrist pain I had been getting from straighter bars.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:33 pm they do exactly what they're designed to do but I'd class them as more of a hooning about bar than a distance one.
Got some on my single speed & have to agree with Chew & Stu.
Don't get me wrong, they're a good handlebar, but they're a big beast to be riding distance on..

Problem is with anything like this, is that it often comes down to personal choice & what works for you..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Love um! :-bd
survivor

Post by survivor »

Another fan here.

Can't fault them. Trimmed mine down to 780ish. Biggest ride on them is 100 over two days... Very comfy
redefined_cycles

Thanks all... What a rather informative thread. The Ritchey ones seem very cheap and I've always liked his quality control (not on the moustache)...

Thing with the Stooge is that they dont make the bike look as though the rider might be a retard (which arguably anyone wanting to do more than 100 might be correctly classed as)...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Big fan here also but just seen these:-
http://stoogecycles.co.uk/product/stoog ... pre-order/
Pretty much a Surly sunrise (also a fab bar) with a wider middle bit. More is always more :mrgreen:
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

I've currently got some renthal motorbike bars on my rooster with a bmx stem. Nice and wide with a good amount of sweep. I've been pretty comfy on them but they probably weigh quite a bit and cant take bar end plugs as the wall thickness is quite thick.

On a slight tangent how are people getting on with on one's geoff loop bars?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cath's got the Moto bars on her Stooge. At the original 800mm they are way too wide even for me, I felt like I was attempting a crucifix whilst riding. She's cut them down to 720mm. She did last year's BB200 with them plus five days of 150km+ on the French Divide so not that shabby for all day riding.

Avoiding numb hands/fingers takes a bit of working out: I'd be fine up to eight or ten hours but a twelve hour ride would induce the numbness. I'd then have to wait for my hands to recover before changing one thing and trying again. It took eighteen months until I sorted it out properly. If you've ever set up a grandfather clock, it's somewhat similar - first attempt it runs for a few seconds; so you make an adjustment and it runs for a minute; another adjustment and it runs for an hour; again and it runs for twelve hours; a bit more and it runs for three days; one last minute tweek and it runs for the full ten days.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
techno

Post by techno »

RobLyon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:10 am On a slight tangent how are people getting on with on one's geoff loop bars?
purely personal opinion but i found the Geoffs had too much back sweep and brought back the numbness problems my OG bars had alleviated.
I sometimes find my hands a bit cramped on the grips so am going to try the ritcheys as the straight section is longer which will give me more room to push the gear levers inbound. Like Bob says slight changes.....
Cocker

Post by Cocker »

my mate has a pair of moto bars spare,he bought them but never bothered putting them on.

could probably get him to sell them cheap if you're interested
redefined_cycles

Cocker wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:15 pm my mate has a pair of moto bars spare,he bought them but never bothered putting them on.

could probably get him to sell them cheap if you're interested
Thanks Cocker... Could you ask him for us and if its cheap as my cheap budget (currently had settled on the Ritchey which can be had for £35 so I guess I'd keep my budget around that mark) then I'll probs take em :-bd Thanks Cocker
Cocker

Post by Cocker »

i've just text him,hes at work,so he'll ring when he gets chance,and i'll let you know
redefined_cycles

Got the bar (it is rather wide isn't it :smile: ) and have cut it down to 770mm so knocked 30mm off. Hopefully that might be enough to find the middle ground between hooning and long distance... :-bd

Thanks again Cocker and everyone else for the input.

Thankfully the bike will remain non-retard looking for onlookers :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You should embrace the weird / retard look - I find it keeps the dull, uninteresting types away, yet encourages interaction with life's more colourful characters.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:21 pm
You should embrace the weird / retard look - I find it keeps the dull, uninteresting types away, yet encourages interaction with life's more colourful characters.
Getting there Stu... Maybe once I can afford a carbon Jones H bar and I've managed to complete my first TT :-bd
redefined_cycles

Plus I've already told Cocker that when he decides to sell one of his Stooges I might be first in the queue (I didn't know Stooge also has that full on crazy rigid Jones type forks look going on... and I'm not sure who started it first but I sure do want one of them things)...
Cocker

Post by Cocker »

not planning on selling anytime soon,but you're more than welcome to try one mate