Seat Post Clamps

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Seat Post Clamps

Post by sean_iow »

Does it matter which way round the seat-post clamp goes? The slot in my frame points forward so I've aligned the gap in the clamp with this as I always have.

I'd like to put a top tube bag there but the clamp is in the way. I was just going to turn it round to move it out of the way but Salsa's instructions say it should be aligned with the slot.

The slot in the collar should be over the slot in the seat tube of your frame, and the inner lip of the collar should sit flush on top of the seat tube

In reality it this the case? Does anyone use their clamp with the gap in the clamp on the opposite side to the slot in the seat tube?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearlegged

Re: Seat Post Clamps

Post by Bearlegged »

I've always run separate clamps with the slot facing forward in an effort to reduce mud ingress, regardless of the slot in the frame. I am yet to die in a seatpost-clamp-related-fireball-of-doom, and doubt you will either.
FLV

Post by FLV »

It'll be fine, spin it round
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

FLV wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:05 am It'll be fine, spin it round
I’m running mine back to front and everything works fine.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

The way their instructions are (IMO) is more to do with leverage/clamping force... by aligning both gaps you get better clamping (probably and what Ive always thought makes .. makes more sense according to physics). But its probably negligible in the grand scheme of things and most likely only the dofferencw of torqueing the bolt and extra 0.5nm if gping against the instructions...

I've used the clamps and slots facing opposite ways (fot whatever reason) amd cannot remember getting any slippage issues Sean...

---------------

Short answer: do it and get that top tube bag stuck in there :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

I sometimes prefer the clamp slot opposed to the frame slot, as long as it stays put like that / it's a good quality clamp. Reduced the pinch-in effect that can damage carbon posts.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheers all :-bd I'm going to make a top-tube bag sized to fit my MSR trailshot. It's obviously a lot easier if I don't have to include a cut-out in the corner for the clamp :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It makes no difference whatsoever.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

So, encouraged by the responses that it doesn't matter which way round the seat clamp goes I've knocked up a bag to house my trail-shot. I carefully measured the location of the frame bag straps and spaced the webbing ladder on the underside of the new bag so the same straps will fix both bags to the top-tube.

What I forgot to do is check the stand-over clearance with a bag in this location #-O When stood over the top tube there is a bag/undercarriage conflict of interest :roll:

Easily solved by moving the bag to the front of the top-tube..... but in that case I could have just used a commercial bag? But luckily the webbing ladder still aligns with the existing bag.

Although the end of the top bag doesn't line up with the end of the frame bag so another strap is required to hold the end down as the top bag lifts up when I close the zip :roll: I think a DeWidget might be needed to keep it upright, I'll have to load it up and give it a test.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sean, could you turn the bag 90 degrees so the long dimension is against the seat post? May not get interference that way :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Sometimes I'm so slow on the uptake I wonder how I've survived this long :lol: I'll give it a go, cheers :-bd