Laminating printed maps

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Re: Laminating printed maps

Post by Al »

Another vote for toughprint paper.
I got round the limitation of the a4 sheets by shrinking the map before printing - 1:50,000 seems more forgiving of being shrunk. I did this in memory map. You can also print them double sided.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Ortleib map case here. Doesn't split like the cheapy plastic ones.

And Fugawi software - the name always made me smile. Mapping software that's called " where the Fugawi?"
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I print from Basecamp if I ever want a paper copy.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I’m not sure I have access to an OS map that’ll work on basecamp.

And as I have a subscription, and paper maps already they can get to **** if they think I’m buying another version.

It’s proven easy enough to stitch together Images to make an A4 sheet.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I’ve actually realised I already have a map case. Somewhere at least!
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Ahh, map case is somewhat knackered.

Considerable amounts of duct tape involved.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Piemonster wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:26 am I’m not sure I have access to an OS map that’ll work on basecamp.
See me after school...
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Started using OS maps again this year after a hiatus involving using various Garmin devices.

I've subscribed to the OS site (twenty odd quid a year) and print off the bit I need (on both sides of an A4 sheet if needs must) and run it through a laminator.

Small enough to fold into quarters and put in my shorts pocket and have not had any issues so far.
Powered by crumpets.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Double post
Last edited by Piemonster on Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Tough Maps, definitely Tough Maps! Tried laminating film, which works but is fiddly and more prone to leaks, tried a laminator in the past and didn’t get on with with. But Tough Maps are bang on, price aside. I don’t even think I had a weight/space penalty.

And for what my view is worth. The experience was definitely enhanced by not using a GPS. It’s not a better, faster, easier way to navigate, I doubt it’s even cheaper! But for me, personally, as a way to improve the experience of being in the hills, definitely a win.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Ah….

I no longer have a printer! There’s also no one local with a decent printer (I mean the sort of place that has a printer you pay a small fee to use).

Has anyone had any luck buying printed one of sheets from an online printer? It would likely be laminated rather than tough paper which is a shame but acceptable if it’s a decent job.

I don’t want to be using a full size OS laminated map.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have you tried Harvey’s maps?

Have got the lakes and Peak ones and they’re brilliant on the bike. Waterproof, tough and can be folded in a trouser/shorts pocket whilst riding for easy reference
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

For long/multi-day trips, after tryy various options, I generally print the maps double sided on AT and keep them in an appropriately sized zip lock plastic bag. Carrying a second bag, or document wallet allows you to just have a couple out at a time. Easy to handle, fold etc. There's something nice about binning/burning/recycling the sheets you've travelled across.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:26 pm Have you tried Harvey’s maps?

Have got the lakes and Peak ones and they’re brilliant on the bike. Waterproof, tough and can be folded in a trouser/shorts pocket whilst riding for easy reference
agreed, the broader range of terrain symbols & changing contour colours to reflect more types of terrain, e. g. Grey= rocky, is a step up relevant detail and a game changer. I find OS maps full of blue symbols for parking and grockle stops/traps annoying. :oops:
I recently brought the BW, Pennine Bridleway one. :-bd .
Edit 1:40k is a good size for bike packing. one map and more detail than OS 50k. almost a condensed os 25k.,but with less crap :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I really dislike using Harvey maps. I do wonder whether in part it's down to my colour-blindness and the more subtle colouring they seem to use?
May the bridges you burn light your way
HUX

Post by HUX »

You can waterproof a normal OS map with a waterproofing spray like Grangers or similar. I did it years ago and worked a treat. Cant remember what I used though. Google it and theres plenty of info on doing it online.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:27 am I really dislike using Harvey maps. I do wonder whether in part it's down to my colour-blindness and the more subtle colouring they seem to use?
They definitely have their uses as I stated but I know what you mean, takes me a while to get my eyes into them (unlike OS which is much more second nature to me).
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Have you tried Harvey’s maps?
I have tried them

A) Limited U.K. coverage
B) I’m very good at visualising OS maps, not so much Harvey Maps
C) Possibly as a result of B) I do not like the design
Last edited by Piemonster on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

HUX wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:03 am You can waterproof a normal OS map with a waterproofing spray like Grangers or similar. I did it years ago and worked a treat. Cant remember what I used though. Google it and theres plenty of info on doing it online.
I’m trying to avoid that, I’ve a cupboard full of laminated OS maps. I technically have the maps I need, I just prefer having only the bits of those maps I actually need.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

boxelder wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:33 pm For long/multi-day trips, after tryy various options, I generally print the maps double sided on AT and keep them in an appropriately sized zip lock plastic bag. Carrying a second bag, or document wallet allows you to just have a couple out at a time. Easy to handle, fold etc. There's something nice about binning/burning/recycling the sheets you've travelled across.
If I could print, this thread wouldn’t have been resurrected :grin:
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:27 am I really dislike using Harvey maps. I do wonder whether in part it's down to my colour-blindness and the more subtle colouring they seem to use?
On “another” forum I was bemused by yet another Android/Apple squabble.

But, in reflection, I think I might be exactly the same but with maps.