Laminating printed maps

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Piemonster

Laminating printed maps

Post by Piemonster »

I have found that I enjoy being out in the hills less when using a GPS. I’m less engaged with my environment, particularly on the bike as I’m navigating by looking at a screen for directions more and taking my cues from the environment less. (As it goes, if it mostly road/gravel I don’t care). I’m genuinely enjoying the experience more with a paper map! On foot at least, I’m actually faster navigating with a paper map. I tend not to follow routes either, I’ll follow an idea of a route, but not a pre-prepared one. Unless I’m riding with someone that insists on a GPX beforehand.

So I’m going to go back to paper maps, of which I have plenty already laminated but in the form of factory produced and bulky maps, I think I have most of Scotland/England/Wales already, certainly all of the very hilly bits. For hill/fell running, this is fine as I’ve mostly stuck to routes below 40 miles, and especially at the minute being so appallingly unfit that 40 miles would likely result in an air ambulance.

But on the bike I think I’ll want to print the areas needed and laminate them. And I’m going to want this to be packable.

Will laminating film be robust enough? Any other suggestions?

I do also have an Extrex 10 kicking about. If I’m going anywhere where it looks tricky I can upload a bread crumb trail as a safety back up or grab a Grid Reference to fix my position. Although, in the 20 years of playing in the hills this has yet to happen. I’ve usually got the location thumbed!
RIP

Re: Laminating printed maps

Post by RIP »

At last someone else who extols the virtues of maps, and with some succinct points in your first paragraph, good for you Pie :smile: . 'less engaged', 'better experience' - nailed it. We await those flimsy counterpoints from the misguided gizmo afficionados :wink: :lol: .

TBH I just take the relevant OS Active map for the area which sits in this on my bars https://www.evanscycles.com/rixen-kaul- ... r-EV187513. Not very keen on 'single-use' stuff if I can help it but may sometimes take a printed sheet. Doesn't seem much point laminating it - just keeps dry in a pocket or fuel tank.

I've got a laminator, but a laminated sheet isn't foldable and therefore not 'packable'? Unless you laminate lots of little 1km square 'maplets' maybe :grin: .

Anyway, my compliments and salutations to you Map Man :-bd .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Always used to use the stick on film and cover my own maps. It’s certainly robust enough. It handles pretty well - folds easily, is compliant. The ready made ones from OS are more like sheets of perspex and imo hard to handle, put in a pocket etc.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Most of my OS Map collection has been covered with clear sticky plastic film. It will, eventually tear along the fold lines, but that's after many outings. Even then, it will hang together better than a non-covered map when wet (and/or extremely windy)

Unfold the map.
Take a warm iron along the edge of the cover to soften the glue and separate it from the map.
Iron the map to remove any folds and creases.
Lay mat on clean, hard surface.
Apply sticky film, allowing for a couple of cm overlap round the edges and over each piece of film.
Tuck overlapped bits round the edges.

FWIW I remove the strip with the map key before covering.
yeha

Post by yeha »

I use Ortlieb map cases in A4 and A3. You can roll them up and tie them to you. If you use 2m of cord, you can hand the map to someone else and worse case it'll drag along behind but you don't lose them Alternatively you can use the plastic A4 and A3 inserts for folders and seal them with sellotape. Again they can be rolled up and tied on.
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S.Eliot.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Analogue Garmin:
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I definitely get you on this Piemonster. I think if you have a background in running/walking/climbing in the Uk hills you develop a love of good ole OS maps. :-bd
I have a Miry mapboard for Trailquest type stuff, I haven’t used it for ‘normal’ riding. Map in back pocket is the usual for me.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

ALL HAIL THE MGHTY MAP AND COMPASS :cool:

Anyway, I like the analogue solution. Good enough if you stay on the same map. I’ll try some of the film type stuff on printed maps. See how I get on.

The option of printing and then using a laminator is something I’ve tried before, I’ve found the to be difficult to fold/manage. Although perhaps if I try to take an iron to them with a layer of fabric between them it might work.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

The ready made ones from OS are more like sheets of perspex and imo hard to handle, put in a pocket etc.
I think this is what I’m most keen to avoid. I remember on my ML training seeing maps covered in the film being used by instructors. Much easier to manage.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I quite like the laminated OS maps. relatively bombproof and double up as emergency shelter / sit mat :wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Harvey's range of maps is ever-increasing, and they have some that have a system of indicating ridability of bridleways to some degree, which is ace. They're printed on that waterproof paper, which is a bit less waterproof than laminated paper IME but a hell of a lot easier to fold up.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I used to go the lamination route but folding them was a pain and if using them for cycling you ended up with a fair bit of bulk on long distance rides. I eventually reverted to using those clear binder things (poly-pockets?)for sticking in folders. You can lob two sheets or more back to back inside and cycle through them as you progress. Not totally waterproof but never failed as a system for me. I have a huge stockpile of them in a large binder at home for future use when aliens blow up the GPS satellites or something. Would still use these when walking, as the slower speed suits map and compass navigation much more for me.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

I carry OS LRanger - light/small enough if you don't need more than a couple for where you're going. I had three for this years WRT, just stick the one you're on in jacket back pocket. Not so good for really bad weather though. I've never used a gpx file or a gadget to follow a line. I have full set of OS at 1:50K on my phone, and only use that to confirm location when there's some doubt - like when Reg says "there's a bridleway here and you're up to your armpits in brambles". I memorise the next leg at each stop, and use the lie of the land to keep an eye on things. It can lead to having to stop quite regularly, I'm okay with that but it can annoy people who don't get the map thing. I also like to be able to modify my rides on the fly, opening up a full size Landranger is a nice way to assess modifying a ride to unexplored ground if the fancy takes me.
Robster

Post by Robster »

Maps are great but following someone with a GPS is easier....

But, go to Bing Maps, zoom in to the area you need, Print Screen & into Paint, Print, trim, Laminate two prints together to get it double sided & your good to go. You can wrap them around your water bottle & they should then stay put in the water bottle cage.

OS create your own map is quite fun too.

Cheers Rob
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

It’s become quite quickly clear that using my existing maps is a flawed approach as they’re all for hill running and 1:25.

E.g. the relatively short route is planned with Scotroutes starting in Braemar involves at least 4 maps.

I think I’ll be printing 1:50 and using the film type stuff first. Hopefully durable enough to be reused for a few years on occasional outings.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH if you are printing to A4 then a soft map case works pretty well. There's just that period when you have to swap a different sheet to the top or want to see multiple sheets together that they might get wet/blow away.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

True,

And going by historical precedents. If it’s really foul I’m probably running rather than biking. Which limits the problem of exposure when changing maps as I’ll be on a laminated 1:25 and a smaller area.

Probably.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Soft folding map case recommendations then :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have an Ortlieb that is 10 years old and still fine. It rolls rather than folds.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I'm also a bit of a die-hard paper map-er. But, recently i've been finding ways to just use pictures of maps on my phone. I've used Bing OS layer in the past and done screenshots, and taken photos of paper maps I own. I've found I can satisfy my map readers need to look at a map and take in the environment around me, but have the convenience of having all the 1:25k maps i need on my phone (all working on airplane mode saved locally), but still using them like a paper map. This can work for long routes, and with a powerbank it could last many days. I just take it out my pocket to check when I need to, and even when i'm riding slowly. You can also take an economical amount of photos/screenshots so that you don't get issues with taking whole maps when you only need a small corner of one.

I know it will seem odd to those with a GPS, but i don't want a phone or similar device on my handlebar, and I don't just want to follow a line. I've now paid for OS maps on viewranger, which means I can download offline maps (zoomable from 1:50k - 1:25k) for an entire route, see my route and, - if i need to - check my satellite location against the map. It seems like a perverse way of doing things, because the idea of viewranger is to use it on a GPS, but so far this has proved a good compromise. I still record my ride on a simple small GPS, but I still get what i need in terms of actually reading a map. Following a GPS is definitely easier and sometimes quicker, but it gives me the map convenience and enjoyment i need. Of course, I'll still take a paper map as backup for somewhere i didn't know.
ripio

Post by ripio »

I used to laminate maps, have done both methods with a proper laminator and also the Blue Peter way with sticky backed plastic. Both work ok.

Nowadays I tend to print my own on Toughprint waterproof paper, https://www.memory-map.co.uk/accessorie ... roof-paper
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Yeh, I was planning on trying that stuff.

Although I discovered OS Maps online limits the area size you can print off. Is that due to wanting to keep the maps to scale?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I think it's just a licensing/control issue.
Do you have access to a printer doing A3 and up?
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

A3 with a donation should be easy enough. Probably unlimited if I’ve cash now I think about it.
ripio

Post by ripio »

I use my Fugawi software 1:50,000 OS mapping and print out at 1:100,000, to get more coverage on each A4 sheet.
Not sure if that's possible with the OS own mapping software?