What Plus tyre?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

What Plus tyre?

Post by techno »

I've been running a 2.25" goma on the back of my stooge during the clag season and am looking for potential summer replacement (wishful thinking).
What recommendations would you give me for a light rear tyre in 2.5" to 2.8"?

Ta.
lune ranger

Re: What Plus tyre?

Post by lune ranger »

I’m liking WTB Ranger with light casing in 27x2.8.
Kind of reminds me of a Nobby Nic. Nice all rounder.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
techno

Post by techno »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:41 am I’m liking WTB Ranger with light casing in 27x2.8.
Kind of reminds me of a Nobby Nic. Nice all rounder.
cheers, i'll shortlist that.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

The newer 2.8 specialized grid range seem nice. Ive got one up front with a 2.5 wtb convict up back and lile em both.

Just be aware that not all 2.8 will come up at 2.8 (some depends on the inner profile/width of the rim but) manufacturers do tend to blur the truth a bit... I've goy a Schwalbe magic mary (I think) which came as a 2.6 but in actual fact it was closer to a 2.3 (in fact less...).

Both thw wtb convict and the specialized are in real figures 2.45" to 2.5" now
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Another vote for the Ranger.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Is it not meant to be a nightmare to set up tubeless - anyone any experience of doing this ?
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:47 am The newer 2.8 specialized grid range seem nice. Ive got one up front with a 2.5 wtb convict up back and lile em both.
Thanks shafiq, but the butcher is a bit portly for me ta.
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:56 am Another vote for the Ranger.
thanks, i liked the trailblazers i had for dry packed conditions we had for a fortnight last year and the ranger looks like a slightly more open treaded version so might work well.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:38 pm Is it not meant to be a nightmare to set up tubeless - anyone any experience of doing this ?
Why so Johnny.. is it not a tubeless tyre?? As long as it doesnt leak like a sponge (ie. From the carcass) and its only due to a sloppy sidewall to rim interface... you just thicken up the rim tape to make it a tighter fit and jobs a good un (and Maqbools your fathers brother)
techno

Post by techno »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:38 pm Is it not meant to be a nightmare to set up tubeless - anyone any experience of doing this ?
Depends on tyre and rim fit.
i've been really lucky with mavic, wtb and halo rims working well with (new) vittoria, schwalbe + WTB tires.

This is what I do:
Clean rim with IPA/disc cleaner
put Gorilla or Kapton tape on the rim
pierce rim for valve
fit tyre
soap tyre + rim
go mad with the track pump/inflator/compressor.
pump up to 40/50psi or until the pinging from the wheel stops.
let air out slow-ish
remove valve core + put sealant in through valve.
replace valve core & reinflate.
swish
swish
swish
check for leaks
ride!

theres a load of good how-to vids on youtube.

PSA: Don't inflate tires to 60psi on a freezing cold night and then bring them into the warm house :oops:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

pretty sure i read a review of it - possibly bikepacking.com where the tester failed to set it tubeless and had to take it to a shop who described it as the hardest they had ever done

https://bikepacking.com/gear/wtb-ranger-review/

Need a new one and have the trailblazer - ripped so works fine but cannot be set up tubeless so no point getting a trye that wont go tubeless

I am fine with tubeless setup and only my road bike is not set up tubeless - some rim and trye combinations are a very bad match - bontrager and Continental for example* - but i have always managed to seal eventually. My WTB trailblazer [popped straight on and was one of the easiest i have ever done ]

* about a weak till it actually properly held air despite it making the loudest pop i have ever heard setting up a tubeless tyre
techno

Post by techno »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:50 pm pretty sure i read a review of it - possibly bikepacking.com where the tester failed to set it tubeless and had to take it to a shop who described it as the hardest they had ever done

https://bikepacking.com/gear/wtb-ranger-review/

Need a new one and have the trailblazer - ripped so works fine but cannot be set up tubeless so no point getting a trye that wont go tubeless

I am fine with tubeless setup and only my road bike is not set up tubeless - some rim and trye combinations are a very bad match - bontrager and Continental for example* - but i have always managed to seal eventually. My WTB trailblazer [popped straight on and was one of the easiest i have ever done ]

* about a weak till it actually properly held air despite it making the loudest pop i have ever heard setting up a tubeless tyre
DOH! i thought you meant, generally, isn't tubeless a nightmare to setup.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

sorry I should have been clearer
techno

Post by techno »

Lazarus, i guess that will be down to the rim tyre combo in the test set up. surly rabit hole + ranger 29+ (tough/fast).
if it's a bugger to fit i'll be off to the compressor at the 24hr garage.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Not for me. The 2.8 went straight up with the track pump only.
My 3.0 needed the use of an air shot thingy.
They are set onto WTB i40 Sraper rims.
WSC
techno

Post by techno »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:06 pm Not for me. The 2.8 went straight up with the track pump only.
My 3.0 needed the use of an air shot thingy.
They are set onto WTB i40 Sraper rims.
That's reassuring. My trailblazers went up fine scrapers & further down that review the tester states:
"I have a feeling that this was a somewhat isolated experience, however. As I mentioned, I had been running a Light/Fast Ranger on the exact same wheelset without any issues. I’ve talked to many folks who use and love the Rangers, and not one has complained about issues with setting them up tubeless. Thankfully, in my experience, they’ve been rock solid since I finally got them seated."
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Mine are the the light/fast carcass Ranger.
Out of many plus tyres I have used.
Chronicle
Dirt Wizard
Trax Fatty
The Ranger seated possibly the easiest first time. I literally pumped up the 2.8 no bother. I bet I could have done it with a mini pump.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

interesting my tyre [trailblazer]got slashed on the sidewall just below the tread on terrain so tame i would have taken my road bike [ all be it slowly]on it.
It was basically a bumpy track.

Ok ranger it is [ much lighter] and if does not go up tubeless easily I will be asking for volunteers to do it for me :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

went up tubeless first time [ use a compressor mind] and remains inflated without any fluid
stu is right for some reason the sidewall is wider on a trailblazer than the tread sits exposed on the ranger the knobs are wider than the carcass
Despite being lighter the ranger has a noticeably [ by touch] thicker and tougher sidewall.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

WTB Ranger (in tough casing).

Wore one out, replaced it with a Maxxis Rekon which lasted about 5 hours (sidewall slash start of the descent from the Lairig & Louigh) so replaced replacement with another ranger.

Went up tubeless no problem on a hope 35W with a track pump.

The Maxxis needed the airshot iirc.
Give the dirt a little room.