Anyone (wish to) got any thoughts on this: Hydration related

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Anyone (wish to) got any thoughts on this: Hydration related

Post by redefined_cycles »

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... oir-p11007

After much thinking over the months and experimentation with my ancient 2L camelbak bladder (which has a shortish hose). I've decided this to be a good option and would go both in the roadie and mtb framepacks. Already ordered some magnets (one to go on stem and other on the actual hose).

One thing previously thought to be a 'con' (as mentioned by Chew -with thanks) was that bottles are easier to fill. This overcomes that problem as the hose comes apart and bladder out of framepack for easy filling without unrouting the hose.

According to Hydrapak they offer a 'beyond lifetime' warranty. So the investment doesnt seem that bad especially since it would replace potentially 4 Camelbak bottles which would come in at over £20 themselves...

Also on a Hydrapak Youtube vid they've made the bladder strong enough for a car to run it over (high claims, I know... which I'll not be testing).

So.... Anyone got any thoughts (pro's/cons/whatever)!

https://hydrapak.com/warranty/
thenorthwind

Re: Anyone (wish to) got any thoughts on this: Hydration related

Post by thenorthwind »

I have a very similar hydration pack - branded Geigerrig but made by Hydrapak I believe. Had it for years, use it at least weekly. Very strong. Easy to fill (though does occasionally cause confusion in cafes when someone's filling it up for you). Had a replacement hose (bite valve went) on the warranty (through Geigerrig) with no issues.

Just bought a new hose though, since the bit valve flow was a bit low, the lock was very stiff, and the quick release fittings were VERY tight meaning they weren't really quick release at all. My girlfiriend's Camelbak hose fits mine and solves all these problems, so I bought one of them (well at least a knock-off of it, since hoses alone are about £20. It is a little short though).
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Interested. I hate bottles because they get caked in crud. I also hate carrying stuff on my back.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

you can get water bottles with plastic covers[domed so plenty of coverage] so they dont get the drink bit covered and it stays clean [ though i only use one on my downtube mounted bottle personally].
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:53 pm you can get water bottles with plastic covers[domed so plenty of coverage] so they dont get the drink bit covered and it stays clean [ though i only use one on my downtube mounted bottle personally].
Good point Johnny. I think with me I just like to have lots of water on board all at once to minimise stops. Especially on the commute where I tend to run a little late (last minute shifts so they dont mind and it keeps me paced).

I think the 3L thing has all just come to a head after my 80 miler round commute tge other day (I normally just do the 40 miles there and then train back but money was tight and i need to pick up the challenges if I'm hoping to be able to get anywhere near completing an ITT) I got home with my 2L camelbak bladder totally sucked dry. I had obviously become dehydrated as after this I had some icecream to celebrate and then a sleepless night followed...

Ice cream - ever since I managed to quit Vaping [alot] and smoking [even more] before that - normally sits on my chest and i always end up with a cough ever since the PeriMyocarditis (which convinced me I needed to quit with the Shortness of Breath that followed it). So that along with the dehydrationand lack of sleep... by morning I had the beginning of a chest infection and by afternoon full on fever. Just about recovered now.

Lessons learnt... Take more water... drink alot on shift. STOP having lots of ice cream... D9nt try and watch extreme sports crap when its sleep time :shock:

I'm an idiot... but an idiot with a good hydration strategy is better than one without :-bd

The bottle... I will be carrying a spare bottle too (for ablution/toileting water etc) :smile:
redefined_cycles

Thanks alot for the input... will get saving...
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

I have a hydrapak 2l bladder which came with a running pack I bought. I'm really happy with it. Mine looks similar to the one in the link, but colourless rather than black. I used on the WRT this year and placed it in my frame bag on top of the stuff I took out the least often. Unlike the camelbak reservoirs, it's more cylindrical which made fitting it in my frame bag easier.

The only little issue I had was the hose length (a bit short, but mainly because I ride a medium frame so the exit point from the frame bag was low as I needed the hose connection on the hydrapak to be near the seat tube so gravity would aid sucking) and the slider (as it's rigid, it was a bit tricky to get it into my bag when the bag and hydrapak were full).

Would recommend though as both of these were livable and it seems bombproof, I dropped it about 30 feet onto rocks when refilling in a waterfall on a run a while back and other than a scratch to the slider, it's completely intact.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Andy... that was another thing I wasooking at: length of hose... I normally have the csmelbak bladder similar to your placement with the hose and bladder interface near enough as I can to the BB... Still leaves it rather short and sometimes drinking on yhe go means getting into some awckward positions :smile:

Partly the reason might be cos I only have friction/velcro straps stipping the hose from flapping when out of the framebag port so maybe the magnetic attahments might help a little...

I'm hoping that whatever I buy it'll have a hose longer than what I have with the CB but unfortunately manufacturers dont seem too interested in publishing such info... might have to do lota of emailing pre-purchase. :roll:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I have hydrapak salamon running bottles and one split at the seam on Saturday during my ultra (of all times for it to go doh) on Sunday I filled in the warranty form on their site and Monday morning had an email saying a new one was in the post but may take a week or so as they are in the u.s , great service. Ps i have a running pack bladder too it's great
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I have that bladder, in grey (2ltr) as it is the standard one supplied with my USWE pack. It does open wide, much wider than a bottle and if you take the hose off it's easy to hand it to somebody to fill up for you. The supplied hose (red) is long enough to go from the middle of my back, over my shoulder down to the middle of my chest and back up to my mouth. Can't measure it at the moment. It had zero taste from new and the bite valve works well and doesn't leak.

Cheers

d
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Quick update new bottle arrived this morning posted from France rather than US great service
redefined_cycles

firestarter wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:43 pm Quick update new bottle arrived this morning posted from France rather than US great service
Sounds like a company you need to 'only buy the once'... I will be ordering my first Hydrapak item very soon (a few days after pay day... once the wife is appeased)
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

They are spot on :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

More positives from me. Salomon use them in their bags, our house hold has two of the bladders and half a dozen of their bottles (all varying between 6-18 months old). All work well, slight plastic taste but juice etc stops that taste.

So far m, so good :-bd