Framed Bivvy

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

didnothingfatal

Framed Bivvy

Post by didnothingfatal »

Anybody using one? Is a framed/hooped bivy a half way house between bivvy and tent, and good as neither? I'm wondering with the lack of airflow and a single skin condensation is going to be high regardless of breathable fabric.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Framed Bivvy

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If I were to buy one I'd get a RAB Ridge Raider.
May the bridges you burn light your way
didnothingfatal

why?
paul78

Post by paul78 »

I am interested in these as well ...

would like to hear from someone that uses one :)
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The reason I'd go for a Ridge Raider is the eVent material. IMO it's about the most breathable waterproof material you can get. The weight of the RR is a bit on the high side but it's a sacrifice that might be worth making for the quick set up it offers.

There's cheaper stuff out there but mostly anything eVent is more expensive than the RR. I did have a Snugpak Stratosphere hooped bivvy (which Valley Daddy now has) which was good and much cheaper than a Rab. I only ever suffered with condensation once ... in France, in 100 degree heat with no breeze. I believe I must have sweated my bollocks off ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I wonder whether one of these might do the job.
http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN90347

Or if you wanted a touch more room and didn't mind a bit more weight.
http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN90089
Ian

Post by Ian »

I used to have one of these: http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Product_Typ ... cification

Used several times on Polaris, including the infamous Leyburn event. It was good, back then it weighed a bit over a kilo, but still worth it. It packed down nice and small and it was handy to have a small porch area that you could cook under while lying down inside. Condensation didn't seem to be an issue either, and it was easy to vent the door without letting water in. I sold it in the end to fund the purchase of Photon. In hindsight, I probably should have kept it...
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I use a very aged Phoenix Phoxhole hooped bivi, bought 2nd hand off the UK Climbing forum, and I love it. It's not the lightest (old gore-tex top, poly base) but it's more than roomy enough to get changed in, space for basha at the head and built in bug mesh that zips over if it's a dry night and you don't need a full closure.

My first night in it was a baptism of fire. Force 7 gale and horizontal rain, tucked into the lee side of the then wooden hut that doubled as the ferry office at Aird Mor on Barra. No leakage, little flapping around, no condensation, and I was in much better shape than the two tents that friends had tried to pitch. Since then it's done me great service, on mountain tops, Hebridean beaches, city parks and a round of the MotoGP.

I've used it both with and without the front hoop and it's great either way. I've also used it with trekking poles and branches to support the front and it's worked brilliantly. Perhaps the best £45 I've spent on accommodation ever.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
didnothingfatal

Now it's interesting you linked to The Outdoor Shop, because I've been chatting with them and we're heading to there tomorrow.

My main concern other than condensation, is, is it getting too near the Laser Comp? In rain at least I can move around in the Laser and make a brew in shelter.

The better half is wondering what the hell is going on, thank god she's a gear junkie too 8-)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have a search online for 'Dutch Army Hooped Bivi' ... hooped goretex bivvy for around £100 ;)
didnothingfatal

I have framed bivvy :) Will test it later this week. Couple of minutes to pitch, plenty of ventilation; zipped flaps and mesh, low profile so perfect for storms.

As for the Dutch Hooped Bivi, I have a two man tent with vestibules that weighs less!! and that's proper two man! How the hell do they make a goretex bag so heavy, supply it with lead pipe as the pole?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What did you go for DNF?
didnothingfatal

The Vaude Bivi, met my requirements and was a good buy :)
The venting in the head area really sold it too me. The vents are all zipped, if I really need to batten down the hatches. Already modified the guylines, fitted them with clam cleats.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does it have any midge netting over the vents / door?
didnothingfatal

Yes vents have netting and the one under the hood on top has a secondary zip to totally undo.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

DNF does the main door have midge netting? If not, will you have to sleep with the door closed regardless of weather in midge season?
didnothingfatal

No midge net behind the door, so yes you would have to face the midges or zip in, or alternatively use one of these;

Integral Designs Bugabivy

Please keep me away from ultralight gear sites and ultra race sites :|