Your bike collection

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: Your bike collection

Post by jameso »

1950's Mercier 650b Randonneur. Really must get round to restoring it one day.
:shock: :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe I should get it done and head back over to Torino on it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

1) Cannondale 1fg. The perfect ss. Light scandium frame, headshock, EBB. Rides and climbs brilliantly.

2) Kona A. Built this up with a Fox talas 80-125 fork. Not as light as the 1fg, but riding singletrack on a full suss singlespeed always brings a smile to my face.

3) Commencal Meta. Don't ride this very much, but a great bike.

4) Rose Thrill Hill. Carbon full suss xc. Weighs about 10.5kg. Ridden loads, looking a bit scruffy now.

5) Canyon Dude. Carbon fibre fat bike with Bluto fork. Really enjoy this bike.

6) Felt F85 road bike. The only road bike I've ever owned. Ride it quite a lot but don't really like road riding.

7) Brompton. 2 speed black black edition with s bar. Used to use as part of my commute. Now mainly used to go shopping instead of using car.
May satan walk with you
ton

Post by ton »

Have two. To get there, had ... 200? :grin: Kidding .. good to know you got a keeper or 2.
jameso, who said anything about keepers.......... :grin:

it has been a very enjoyable journey, and one i hope to continue, if anything catches my eye.
thing is with bike design, i feel most things have been done, and are now on their second time round, if you get what i mean.
nothing seems to impress me bikewise nowadays.
i had a go on a big plus ebike in norway. it was good, but i fear the boredom would set in quickly.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ couldn't agree more. The only things new are e-bikes and a few things in suspension, but otherwise it's just re-works. Some just work well for us and that's all that matters?
jay91

Post by jay91 »

On one inbred 26"
Had it about 5 years brilliant bike b SS most of its life Sus & ridged

On one scandal 29"
Gears &Sus
Don't know why just don't like it that much

On-One Pompetamine
Just put some flat bars on it use it for going shops etc

claud butler road bike
Not sure on year it was my grandads race bike probably 80s
Trying to ride bikes.
slarge

Post by slarge »

There's a few in my garage, built up over the years....

A 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR - my first proper mtb and it's worn out, so just not worth anything.
A 2002 Spesh Stumpy hardtail. Bought off ebay 10 years ago and built up as a race bike. Now SS and just great fun, but only gets used a handful of times a year
Planet X Dirty Harry - bought as a frame and built up as a new race bike. It's a veteran of quite a few long rides
2018 Spesh Epic - my newest bike and just fast. Will be taking some weight out of it with new wheels etc, but just enjoying it at the moment
Kinesis Pro6 CX - used for cross racing and not much else
Plnet X Uncle John - the winter commuter
Ribble Sportive - summer road bike
1995 Colnago Master - beautiful paintwork, and completely original. Bought in Italy on holiday last year
1937 Pollard tandem. Bought cheaply for a giggle last year - it's quite tatty and I have ideas about a full restoration with box lining, and Cyclo gears.
1950's butchers bike, fully restored never ridden as it's just a bit unpleasant to ride, and serves no purpose unless delivering sausages......and it weighs a blimmin ton.

Most of my bikes are ridden into the ground, and they're not worth selling. Having so many bikes does mean that there is constant maintenance to keep them all working well. I do find "fiddling with bikes" quite theraputic though (and better than decorating!)
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Random order:

Thorn eXXp:
26er heavy b@stard world tourer. Full custom 853 steel. Rohloff. S&S coupling. Full works racks. 203mm disks.

Xtracycle Swoop:
Longtail family/cargo bike. Bosch electric assist. A total blast with 2 kids on the back hitting 20kmh uphill!

Salsa Fargo:
My newest love. Rohloff. 80mm sus fork or steel Firestarter.

Surly Krampus:
55mm Fatlab rims with 3” tyres. Rigid. Rohloff.

Ribble Ultralight:
Alloy road bike. 25mm tyres. Campag Centaur. Mavic Kysirium wheels.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:15 pm One bike is utter madness and i could not do it- its impossible to have a bike that will be fine for both a 20 mile each way commute and MTB
Although I’m one biked out of space/wife’s decree
My Fargo with two sets of wheels is far from madness, I run mine with a Fox teralogic fork. It’s like witch craft, suspension but very little bob depending on the little blue knob setting. It’s reasonably light due to carbon rims,bars and cranks etc, it keeps surprising me with just how capable it is. Granted it may not be as fast as some gravel bikes or keep up around your local bike park but it’s reasonably good at lots of things.
I can see why, before the cutthroat it was a favourite on the divide, my longest ride on it was the SC2C and I really can’t imagine a better tool for the job, unless titanium becomes really cheap.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m with you Steve.
The Fargo is easily capable of matching all my other bikes except the longtail. It’s by far the ‘best’ bike I’ve ever had.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Honestly if you gave me a few K to spend on bicycles it would either be a Ti Fargo frame or at a long short Sram red eTap brakes paired with AXS eagle drive train for my steel Fargo. My rides are very varied, I go along places then up hills Sometimes off-road sometimes on. Coming down I don’t get left behind on most bike packing trips.

Back in the mists of time I rode a diamond back assent, as I broke stuff it gradually became mostly XTR. People asked why I didn’t upgrade the frame....it just felt like home. Apparently moving home is up there with divorce on life’s trauma scale. :-bd

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

some bikes are workable but my commute is basically flat [ less than 1000 ft over the 40 miles and the bike for that is just radically different from the bike for the Lakes
Yes i could make something work if i had to [ god knows what mind but i bet it would include spare forks [sus and rigid]as well as wheels]
the best i could ever do is three [possibly]
Genesis as it can be 29 er, 650 b and plus and also has sliding drops so can SS
A cross/adventure/road bike option
A FS bike i can use for big lake days and also bikepacking long hauls.
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

In no order whatsoever:

Cotic Bfe - 26" fun bus and fave ride at the moment

Cotic Escapade - Gravel iron

Rikulau 931 road bike - Used to import this Taiwanese brand, Summer road bike blinged up with Campag Record and H plus Son hoops

Kona Smoke - bike I use for work teaching Bikeability and the one that gets the least maintenance and most miles

Specialized Tricross - converted to singlespeed and mainly used as a winter hack

Cinelli Unica - 1991 frame and spent an age kitting it out with C-Record bits. Only used when the sun's out

Peugeot PV10 - 1978 frame and built up with Simplex and Stonglight bits. Another summers day bike.

Mercier - another one from the late '70's. Built it for the first Eroica Britannia with 28mm tyres and lower gears

Hercules Commuter - Singlespeed pub bike

Tern folding bike for train journeys and when I need to sling a bike in the car for work

Cinelli Vigorelli - track bike

Dawes Discovery Twin tandem. Now used with my 10 year old so we can get a decent distance in

Boardman CX Team - Specced out as my Winter road bike with guards and skinny tyres.
Powered by crumpets.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I rode my Jogle on my bigdummy, whatever you ride you still have to pedal the thing, these days the bike is not often the weakest link.

composite

Post by composite »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:13 pm
Carver 69er. This one is a collection of bits that I've yet to put together. I had one years ago and loved it dearly but like a nob I sold it and regretted it ever since.
Seeing you mention a 69er has reminded me that for a while I ran my P7 with a rigid 29er fork in and some of that time I had a 29er wheel on the front (with 26 on the back). I had forgotten that was even a thing. I seem to remember it riding really well too!

edit:
Also just remembered that the last time the P7 was set up for me, I had made it single speed. That P7 frame has just been so incredibly versatile.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

N=0 for me.
I tried to join the dark side last week and went out to buy an eMTB but the dealer had sold out and none available until 2020 stock starts shipping.
Came home with a new Martin D28 as a consolation prize. Its brilliant and yes steel is real after nylon strung guitars. :-bd
So just going to sit here picking until a Stooge Mk3 18" in plum comes up for sale or next years bikes start shipping.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

psling wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:06 pm And hanging on the wall, a 26" Orange P7 frame (if anyone wants it?!)
PM sent: as luck would have it, I've just snapped my Inbred :-bd
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well there's yer next BaM theme Pete - P7s only :smile: . I copped eyes on Peter's P7 when I visited, so it's nice to know I'll see it again - in action :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

MuddyPete wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:52 pm
psling wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:06 pm And hanging on the wall, a 26" Orange P7 frame (if anyone wants it?!)
PM sent: as luck would have it, I've just snapped my Inbred :-bd
PSLING - my PM to you is hanging around in my outbox, for some reason. Would you mind PMing me, please?
Ta,
Pete
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

my PM to you is hanging around in my outbox, for some reason.
Because that's what they do until someone the other end has read it.

Maybe he's out enjoying the weather, after all, it's only about an hour and a half since you sent it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Ahhh....technology :roll: :lol:
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Excellent timing for this thread as I'm having a bit of a tidy/rationalisation. No particular order - probably most recently used first I guess...

Saracen/mad trials bike. Singlespeed, rigid, 26" wheels, maguras, no seat and tiny. Pretty much pointless but fun to ride around the woods with the dog looking for silly things to hop & roll over or to ride to the corner shop being an overgrown child

Chumba vf2, Al front carbon rear full suspension. 26" again. Bit of an accidental purchase from singletrack this spring, saw the frame going for cheap and couldn't resist. Not quite sure it's the right shape for me, but it's a nice change to be on something boingy after nearly a decade on hardtails

Shark traverse gravel/cx/commuting bike. 700c, gravel tyre on the front fat slick on the back. Currently 1*10 but probably going double at some point. Love it as it's nearly as fast as the road bike, but when I see an interesting track I can follow it without worrying about skinny wheels and tyres.

Omega radius ti road bike, with old 10 speed ultegra. Fast and smooth, but currently leant to my brother for the summer as I take the shark nearly every time instead.

Forme Ripley, 650b hardtail. 2*10, 120mm fork, wide bars with bar ends in the middle to give a similar position to the hoods on the cx setup. Probably the most used bike and starting to get rather battered. Contemplating replacing this and the chumba with a short travel 650 something or other... Often found with the kids' trailer bike attached to it.

On-one fatty trail, with rigid forks. Currently incomplete as I scrounged a few bits from it to build the chumba - I'll build it back up for the winter. I don't ride it too often, but love it when I do. Nearly sold it in 2018, but (contrary to the popular way of things) my wife persuaded me not to as I always come back from the occasional rides on it with a silly grin.

KHE root BMX. Barely gets ridden, mostly keep it as my daughter likes to scoot around a skatepark at times and it's nice to pretend to be in my teens/20s again and join in!

Eek - that sounds a lot when written down like that... Also got a NS society frame on the wall in the garage.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm enjoying this thread immensely. The varieties in bikes and the reasons for keeping or using them are great!

It seems that most of us haven't fall into the approach of needing to have the latest, shiniest bike around, although there are some very nice bikes listed

Lots of 26ers around too. I got into bikes as an adult and went straight into a 29er. My big dummy is a 26er though

I think if I had more room to store them I'd have a few more bikes. I wouldn't necessarily have more time to ride them though
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

This thread is a good read...

I have the following 3 bikes:

Genesis Fortitude Race. Bought in June 2013 just after my first ever BB event, the WRT 2013. Apart from the tyres and some alt bars and grips, it has remained standard. I have taken part in 6 BB200s on it, finishing 4 of them. For that reason, I won't part with it. We have been through too much together!

Genesis Croix De Fer. I bought the 2015 frameset in November 2014 and put together a modest custom build with Mavic wheels, SRAM Force and Rival groupset, 3T bars and stem and a carbon post. My first venture into drop handlebars. I have ridden this bike the most over the last couple of years, commuting around the bay. It is dependable, comfortable and does what I want it to do. I have occasionally put knobblies on it to compete in CX events and it managed that very well. A great all rounder. It is my only bike with rack mounts, so I am about to use it to do some of my bread deliveries.

Aske Bikes custom steel 650+. Slightly tricky to describe this. My friend Simon Aske runs Colin Lewis Cycles in Paignton and also builds steel frame bikes. Most of his bikes are road, but after seeing some of my bikepacking rides, he got curious about making bikes that could cope off the beaten track. He came up with what most people seem to call a "Monster Cross" bike. When I saw his for the first time, I immediately knew I wanted the same. I only got it just before WRT this year and absolutely love it. It is Reynolds 853 steel, Mavic wheels, Maxxix Ardent race 2.6" tubeless tyres, Ritchey flared drop bars, post and stem, SRAM Apex drivetrain and Truvativ Stylo crankset. It sounds obvious, but having a bike made specifically to fit you makes such a massive difference. It is a real treat to ride.

I feel very lucky to have such lovely toys.

Si
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

In approximate order of tyre width;

1/ Cube GTC Agree (2010). My "fast" carbon road bike. Doesn't get used much since moving to Aviemore but it owes me nowt as it's almost 10 years old (and bought when I worked in a bike shop) and I really enjoy the sensation of easy speed on those occasions I take it out.

2/ Van Nicholas Amazon (2010). Also almost 10 years old but really forward-looking design means it'll run 640x47 tyres and disk brakes. About to go hydraulic/11 speed with it. Touring/gravel/adventure (#gradventourer), and it's Ti, which means it still looks like new. I have 3 wheelsets for it and could probably ditch the Cube above really.

3/ Ragley Marley (140mm hardtail) (2015). One of those bikes built up from a frame "use up" some spare parts :grin: Really fun hardtail that is mostly used on local trails and when the weather/conditions aren't too great.

4/ Orbea Occam (140mm FS) (2016). Bought to replace my Blur XCC after riding the Ragley so often that I couldn't convert back to steeper angles. Used for mountain days, steeper trails, trail centres. I have some longer trips in mind where I might appreciate the ongoing comfort. Easily exceeds my riding skills.

5/ Pact Wildcat (2016). Custom made Ti frame (through Brant Richards). Runs front suspension or rigid forks, B+ or 29er wheels (and any permutation thereof). My main bikepacking ride. Replaced a Burls frame (now in the possession of one D Barter Esq. ) when B+ became available.

6/ 9ZERO7 fatbike (2011). I had to import this from Alaska as they weren't available in the UK at the time. Old school for a fatbike with 135 OLD front and rear and no option for suspension. This gets ridden all winter, also makes it out for some bikepacking trips and beaches of course. This is the one I'm most likely to replace. No particularly good reason, though the ability to fit wider tyres is something I'd like. I keep looking at Ti and carbon options....

I could easily "lose" two bikes out of that lot (the Cube and the Ragley) but I'd not get much for them so not much value tied up. I'm not short on space either. If I cold only keep one it would be a hard choice between the Pact and the Amazon.