Your bike collection

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: Your bike collection

Post by thenorthwind »

As has been said, some great collections here. Some impressive, some worrying :lol:

I've recently consolidated two bikes into one and currently have a paltry four. In order to withstand being thrown at rocks:

Nukeproof Mega

My first "proper" bike, bought in 2015 after I finished my PhD. Occasionally seen at trail centres, but more often causing me to be "overbiked" on long natural rides with bits of fun stuff. Here it is on the Lakeland 200 earlier this year:

Genesis Longitude

My most "bikepacking" bike, but also used for local bimbling. Seen here in full-on tour mode with aero bars and everything:

Pinnacle Arkose

Latest acquisition. Serves as both "gravel" bike and road bikes. It seems I've not even taken any photos of this yet.

Fudge

My current commuter. A complete mongrel. A 90s Rudge Bi-Frame folding frame, with the only 1" steerer rigid carbon disc fork in existence, and a smattering of equal random parts. Now living out its days transporting me to and from work/the pub, but in previous, even more eye-watering incarnations, had massively flared drops and has been on thousands of adventure miles on road and off. Seen here stuck in a Scottish bog:

br

Post by br »

In order of date purchased:

2008 On One 456 26"
Currently sat on my turbo cw Magura Thor forks and a mismatch of parts

2009 On One 456 Ti 26"
Used when my other bikes are u/s (such as last week when my FS ate it's rear wheel). Expensively built-up originally and now wearing 1x11 plus loads of carbon/Ti, Formula RI brakes, carbon rims etc.

2018 Cotic Flaremax 29"
Replaced a carbon Spesh FS which replaced a carbon Cube FS - both of which I wrote off the frames. Rode today at the Golfie and Inners. Brilliant super-stable piece of kit, built up with 1x12, Pikes etc.

2019 Planet X Full Monty
Bought earlier this year with an upgrade wheelset and tubeless tyres plus 1x11 Apex hydraulic. First drop bar bike since I was a kid, really enjoying it and did the outer Cairngorm Loop a couple of weeks ago.

Also in the garage is a spare Trek Fuel EX FS 26" that visitors and sons' use plus an alloy Identiti Dr Jekyel 24"/26" jump bike that the kids had which has just spent 3 years been borrowed by a friends kids and now returned.

I'm lucky as I live in the Scottish Borders with Innerliethen, Glentress, Golfie, Yair etc all westwards and within riding distance (but it does mean kilo-weight tyres on the MTB's just to survive) and then eastwards its loads of gravel estate & farm roads.

If I could only have one bike, it'd be the 456Ti.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

benp1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:30 pmI suppose I could double up within the same category - maybe a bakfiets or low loader style cargo bike and another commuter

I just looked up Bakfiets. I want one of these. I won’t get one of course - I’ve run out of kids to carry, :lol: so no point. Maybe I should try to make a few more? :o I can still want one though. The bike, not a baby - Mrs Frog might take a dim view of that one.

It’s got me thinking though. Something like a Big Dummy maybe? Then I could get the weekly shopping (12 miles round trip) instead of taking the car. Oh hang on though, that means I’d only get one ride into town instead of two or three. Hmm?
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
gairym

Post by gairym »

gairym wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:37 pm Oooh, timely as my stable is currently undergoing some changes.....

Here goes (order tyres smallest to largest):

1. Planet X 'Kaffenback'

SS pub bike but with some lovely Middleburn RS2 square tapered cranks on.

2. Cotic 'Escapade'

Was my gravel bike but now putting on a compact double chainset and 32c wheels to have as my road/tourer type thing (with potential fast gravel option if needed).

3. Velo Orange 'Piolet'

Not delivered yet but will replace the gravel bike as a bikepacking orientated drop bar 29er - I can't wait!!!

4. Cotic 'Solaris'

My most regular 'mountain bike'. Bouncy forks, dropper post, double chainset and the bike I ride most on every terrain.

5. Santa Cruz 'Blur LT'

26" full bouncy bike for gravity assisted alpine fun.

6. Singular 'Rooster'

Fully rigid, great big (3" tyres on 52mm rims) monster truck of a thing that'll handle anything and everything - love it!

7. Travers 'Bat Fastard'

Absolutely sublime fatbike built up with the blingest of bling gear (that I'd never have been able to afford if not for the website/magazine a few years ago). Lauf fork, carbon Nextie rims and other finery - it really is the bee's knees :)

I can't see me changing much for the time being as I've spent a lot of time and effort (and not as much money as it looks as I buy most frames used and get most components cheap off eBay etc...) getting things exactly as I want them.

But.....that's not quite all.....

Only got rid of my road bike today, I still technically have my hardtail 26" Cotic 'Soul' but that'll be gone by next week.

And if we're going to get brutally honest about the numbers of bikes we own then I should probably mention the three steel 80s road bikes that I've got for future restoration (a Dave Marsh, a Raleigh and another I can't remember).

Oh, and a carbon On-one 'Lurcher' that I'll likely build into a single speed fully rigid something or other at some point.

Ok, that's it (I think) - :shock:
Hmmm, interesting to look back (3 years) at this.

Sold the 26" Soul, sold the Lurcher, sold one of three old steel road bikes, sold the road bike.

Everything else is pretty much as above with the exception of replacing the ancient Santa Cruz 'Blur' with a lovely new 'Hightower' and I never did put that double compact chainset on the Escapade.

Oh, and I might have bought a BMX and a unicycle as well.

:-bd
substandard

Post by substandard »

Mixed terrain / winter commuter : Sonder Camino al. Parts bin build mix of apex and 105. 1x11 38mm pathfinder pros, nothing else to say, just works.

Road bike: unbranded carbon, carbon rim brakes, mix of force and rival, 1x11 done around 15,000miles.

Adventure bike: Smokestone mr harry, 29x2.6, off road drop bar titanium comfort weapon. Anything involving long days in the saddle tends to involve this one. Will likely
Move the frameset on soon as have ordered something n-1ish and either the best thing since sliced bread or a piece of junk that I defo did not design!!!

Fat bike: smokestone bow ti, back in mtb spec with a bluto, did gbduro on it, lots of ultra nice bits on it.

Ss track bike: vitus six, impulse buy, added halo clickster and drop bar brakes. Flat pedals, gets used for errands into town, pub,doctors,brewery. Has a fixed cog on the other side but can’t get on with it, zone out and forget to keep pedalling after about 5mins, nearly totalled my knee last time I rode it fixed

TT bike: hasn’t moved for a while, just looking at the 1x 58t chainring makes my legs hurt.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Full bikes
Salsa warroad drop bar grave
Trek Procaliber 9.something or another hardtail
Specialized Langster SS

Needs some mechanical time
Salsa El mariachi in SS mode
Salsa Mukluk (might SS this…)

Frames
Pinarello SS frame - believe it or not, the Specialized is much nicer
Scott TT frame
Voodoo wanga steel hardtail - wouldn’t mind turning this into a lamp…
Genesis Equilibrium designed by JamesO in Reynolds 853
ton

Post by ton »

20220714_061606.jpg
20220714_061606.jpg (127.9 KiB) Viewed 894 times

that is it. no bike collection anymore. :sad:
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Brother Cycles Big Bro 29er
Specailized Epic Evo
Trek Domane ALR5 Winter/Zwift road bike
Harry Quinn 1982 (MIKA) in a box as it was on the day it was given to me from a work colleague :lol:

Really want something else tho, no idea what I just enjoy bikes
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Trek Procaliber 9.something or another hardtail

Miss my Procal sometimes :sad:
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
slarge

Post by slarge »

My collection went up by one - in age order:
1938 Pollard tandem
1963 Falcon San Remo (new and restored)
1960's Gundle butcher's bike
1995 Colnago Master Road bike
2002 Stumpjumper Ht Ss
2002 Stumpjjmper FSR
2012 Ribble road bike
Planet X Dirty Harry 29 er ht (just resprayed)
Planet X uncle John road commuter
Kinesis Pro6 CX
2018 Spesh Epic fs

Do I need them all? No
Are any worth selling? No
Am I happy? Yes, just need to replace the ribble road bike as its now 30,000 miles old and getting old...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I had 4 at the start of this thread but my circumstances were different. I lived in London, had less space, cycled to work, lived somewhere flatter and didn't have good MTB on my doorstep. Have now moved further south

The original 4 have stayed, with a tweak
1 - 2015 Pinnacle Arkose 2. Was my commuter and the most ridden bike I had. Now rarely used (can't remember when it was last used) but not worth anything and useful to have just in case
2 - Brompton. Now much more regularly used on a train commute, still a fun little bike
3 - Cotic Solaris, rigid. My bikepacking and everything bike. Used as my normal MTB in wet/muddy conditions
4 - Surly Big Dummy cargo bike. Has since been electrified with a Bafang kit and as a result has become far more useful. Gets used very regularly and carries all manners of things - various combinations of kids (I have 3), wife, shopping, cargo. Did the school run on it, often do the shopping on it. No issue with traffic or parking and kids love it. Haven't done many miles in total on it because it's all short journeys that are annoying in a car

Have also add a full sus bike as I now MTB on a more regular basis and wanted some suspension.
5 - Orbea Oiz. FS XC bike with slightly longer travel, gets ridden 1-2 times a week
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, the four that immediately spring to mind are "I have a problem "
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Agreed it looks like you have run out of space to hang bikes :lol:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

There are 2 hooks on the rack on the left that are unoccupied, trouble is we've another 7 to accommodate. We have a number of bikes that we hire out as part of our B&B Casa Rural thing, they're not ridden by us as they are a range of sizes.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

ton wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:11 am 20220714_061606.jpg

that is it. no bike collection anymore. :sad:
Yeah, but what a bike? Superb Tony. One bike to rule them all.
I'm just going outside ...
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

went from 7 bikes down to 4

SOLD - Brompton, Inbred 26”, Specialized Hardrock, Pompino & CAADX
BOUGHT - Krampus and Croix De Fer
KEPT - Inbred 29” and Genesis High Latitude
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

2010 Ragley mmbop - winter MTB
2013 transition bandit - fair weather MTB
faustus

Post by faustus »

2021 Kona Unit X frameset, with collection of my older SLX/XT/XTR stuff on it
Sonder Camino Al v3 frameset, again with my own parts, 650b
2012 Inbred 26er town/utility bike

Only the utility bike might get 'upgraded' due to having spare 29er wheels/tyres, others are keepers.