Aaarrggh ... my knee!!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Aaarrggh ... my knee!!!

Post by TheBrownDog »

That will teach me to play football with a mob of 8 year olds. Doh!!

I've had nagging knees for a couple of years, but it's never really been an issue. Today I was wandering the corridors of O2 with a colleague, turned on the ball of my foot and something went twang. I was very brave, naturally, but the pain is quite exquisite. It's at the front, right under the knee cap. Oddly enough, the only time it hasn't hurt all day was the 2 mile ride from the office to the train station. Go figure.

Called my mate the GP (who honestly doesn't mind at all cos it's not like he's got anything else to do) and he told me to drop some ibuprofen, ice it, get to a physio, try a brace and if that doesn't work go to my actual GP and get a referral for a scan. Hmmm.

I'm screwed aren't I?
I'm just going outside ...
lune ranger

Re: Aaarrggh ... my knee!!!

Post by lune ranger »

Go to your actual GP or a registered private physio.
Rest, ice, elevate in the meantime
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

TheBrownDog wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:20 pm something went twang.
It's all downhill from there old man. Football ruined my knees after both went twang on a few occasions. Really miss playing tbh. :sad: Tried a few comebacks but the injuries got worse each time. Several partial tears of the ACLs, a bunch of cartilege damage (including a bucket-handle tear which was a right bastard) and eventually a complete rupture of my right ACL.

Cycling causes me no bother on the knees at all though.

In summary: you're not completely screwed. Might be time to hang up the Predators though.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

gave up well over a decade ago when my hamstrings would stand still whilst the rest of my body went from rest to sprint.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

TheBrownDog wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:20 pm I'm screwed aren't I?
Nope - your physio will advise but get yourself to a pilates class as it will help no end. Tight / weak glutes, tight IT band and muscle imbalance if you do a lot of pedaling will cause no end of knee issues and pilates will help a lot with this. A physio will direct you to some more specific exercises. Based on my own experiences sharp pain under the knee cap isn't arthritis and more likely to be due to knee cap tracking issues.....

Speaking as a long term duff knee sufferer.....
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

and more likely to be due to knee cap tracking issues.....
Defo what I reckon it is. Physio booked for Friday. And no more football.
I'm just going outside ...