Alpkit Parallax waterproof trousers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

padonbike

Alpkit Parallax waterproof trousers

Post by padonbike »

Anyone got any experience of these for MTB/cycling?
They are not specifically designed for cycling, so I suspect that they may not be tough enough in the seat, (I'm assuming they wear as quickly in that area as Goretex Paclite trousers have done in the past).
But the fit seems quite good, although a tight fit around the calf with a walking boot may still not be tight enough for drive side of a bike.
Any feedback appreciated :-bd
johnnystorm

Re: Alpkit Parallax waterproof trousers

Post by johnnystorm »

I've got some and they've proved tougher (regarding abrasion) than I thought they would and they pack down to bugger all. Having said that I think my madison's with zip off lower legs are a better bet.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Thanks Johnny. That's one positive review for them then. Not interested in zip off capabilty though as I have Endura waterproof shorts for less severe conditions.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got some and they are tougher than I thought they'd be given how light the fabric feels. The velcro adjuster on the leg allows a close enough fit that I've not got it caught in the chain yet.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Cheers Sean. Don't suppose you had them with you on HT? Be interested to know how they performed in that extreme wet? :geek:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I did have them with me but I was pretty wet before I put them on. I wore them for about 24 hours on the BB300 and they did well.

They're also light enough that I wear them overnight when riding to keep the wind off, I used them on the B150 for that even though it wasn't raining.

Mine are getting on a bit now, I've had them for over 2 years and I don't think they are as waterproof as when new, or maybe I've just gone soft?
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Ace feedback. Thanks Sean. I'm awaiting reply from Alpkit too, but what you say sounds positive. :-bd
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

These are the trousers I have Phil too.

Definitely not totally “waterproof” anymore as they do wet out in downpours but keep me damp rather than soaked, they do a good job of adding warmth for the weight. Light and small packing. The ankle strap makes the bottom tight but I tend to use a little additional strap to hold the shin section tight enough to give more clearance by the chain.

I tend to ride in baggies as you know. I have gore soft shell baggies that have a waterproof spray panel for 90% of Scottish riding then add these when it’s also cold!

I use them too commute in too when it’s similarly cold.

They are about as durable as you’d expect for the weight.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Seam sealing went on mine during the BB300, but I'm happy enough with them to be honest.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Scott L wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:39 am These are the trousers I have Phil too.

Definitely not totally “waterproof” anymore as they do wet out in downpours but keep me damp rather than soaked, they do a good job of adding warmth for the weight. Light and small packing. The ankle strap makes the bottom tight but I tend to use a little additional strap to hold the shin section tight enough to give more clearance by the chain.

I tend to ride in baggies as you know. I have gore soft shell baggies that have a waterproof spray panel for 90% of Scottish riding then add these when it’s also cold!

I use them too commute in too when it’s similarly cold.

They are about as durable as you’d expect for the weight.
Thanks Scott - good enough for your Highland shreddin', then good enough for me :grin:
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Richard G wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:57 am Seam sealing went on mine during the BB300, but I'm happy enough with them to be honest.
Thanks also Richard :-bd
composite

Post by composite »

So I bought a pair of these in their last sale over the weekend. I think the sizing is quite big, I was wondering if anyone else agrees?

I'm a 32 inch waist and leg, so sized as a medium (like every other bit of clothing I buy) and although the waist is "OK" I suspect the 30" waist small size would fit and the legs seem long. When I tighten the ankle it makes the legs billow out quite a bit as well. Is this anyone else's experience as well? Do they billow because of the leg zip and that settles down after a few wears?

When I look at the image below it makes it look like the leg is fairly close cut but they don't sit that way on me at all. I have pretty big carves too. Not sure what to make of them... I have folded them back up to go back at this point but like I ask above I just wondered if anyone else felt the same at first but then they turned out fine ? :-S

Last edited by composite on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Alpkit are really good about returns for sizing. I'd order the small to try and then send back either one or both pairs if the small aren't a better fit.

I'm usually a medium and I have a pair in a 12 :smile: they were out of mediums so I tried on a pair of Jane's riding shorts to gauge my size in ladies and bought the women's version :lol: don't know if the ladies have a narrower leg but don't think mine billow too badly.