Full Mudgaurds?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: Full Mudgaurds?

Post by FLV »

JoseMcTavish wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:31 pm My gravelly bike spends most of the year with these SKS Bluemels 45mm guards on and some 35mm Marathon Winters or 38mm Vittoria Hypers.

Hard to imagine winter riding without them, to be honest.
Great photo, very atmospheric :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Glad I just seen this thread. Other day came home mucky as, erm... a rhino...

On boost suspension forks, whats a nice front mudguard that goes nicely?? :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles

Thanks v much Colin... My Stan salutes you :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:00 pm https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-65 ... t-EV327735

Unfortunately it looks like they're out of stock just in time for winter. :roll:
Had an email from Evans,

"We would like to update on your order, reference xxx for the PINN 650B MUDGUARD BLK.

The Back Order Team have been notified of a delay to your order and are now expecting delivery of your item on 30/10/19.

We will email you as soon as the stock is with us and when it has been dispatched to you."

Looks like i'll return to the hunt and choose some others then, but thanks for taking my money anyway Evans...

Was trying to avoid the sks style ones as I dont like the skinny stays and dont like the pokey out bits at the top. My wife has SKS chromoplastics on her bike and they arent the most stable of things.
Also trying to avoid spending 120 pounds quid...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used SKS ones for years, never any problem.

Have a look at the Trek ones though. We used those on the hire bikes as they were quite robust.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have the SKS 45s in my arkose. I run 35f32r marathon plus tyres with plenty of room. I have a picture of my bike running nano 40 and the mudguard, which I don't actually remember, but can't see how much mud clearance there is

Have put thousands of miles onto my mudguards and they've been great. Definitely recommend, although it's used far more on road than off
FLV

Post by FLV »

Indeed, I am sure SKS will be fine and given my lack of patience I've now ordered some bluemels from SKS. I'll give them a go.
Al

Post by Al »

45mm sks bluemels on my Camino. Very happy with them.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I'm another one with bluemel 45s on my arkose, usually put them on this time of year until about April. Very happy with them, quiet except over the worst potholes, into their 3rd winter now, and room for for 38mm G-Ones.

Mudguards are the way to go for off road in winter
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Hopefully not off topic but re Bluemells or Velo 65 how do you attach a full rear mudguard to a bike with no mounting points and a 12x142 rear axle?
Looking for an 'easy on easy off' solution that does not involve any ty-wraps.
Has anyone used Old Man Mountain metal P clips with rubber lined clamps?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I had to use p-clips for the rear guard on my Marin commuter due to the sliding dropouts having no mount point. I just got some generic plastic coated ones off the internet which have held perfectly so far.
Mpolo

Post by Mpolo »

A few options here if you have deep pockets
https://www.cyclingabout.com/list-fat-b ... ide-tires/
FLV

Post by FLV »

Well, sks bluemells arrived, fial 1 bolt for the forks too short. Need to buy a longer one. Already annoyed with these :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Fettled for a while and got fed up for tonight. What a sub standard product that is.

Blooming stays arent even long enough, bolts too short, front axle cant come out if you use spacers needed to make the silly plastic ends fit the fork.

Designed in the 90s i think. Poor show.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:05 pm Mudhugger FRX

https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/collecti ... -mudhugger

Buy the extension for additional coverage

https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/collecti ... t-extender
Muckynutz do a longer one - https://muckynutz.com/mudguards/MugGuard/MugGuard_Long
If your frame or forks don't have eyelets for proper mudguards, cable ties and bits of inner tube work very well.
redefined_cycles

htrider wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:46 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:05 pm Mudhugger FRX

https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/collecti ... -mudhugger

Buy the extension for additional coverage

https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/collecti ... t-extender
Muckynutz do a longer one - https://muckynutz.com/mudguards/MugGuard/MugGuard_Long
If your frame or forks don't have eyelets for proper mudguards, cable ties and bits of inner tube work very well.
Used to use the good old inner tube ziptied method years ago (when I last had suspension). Let me whack something together tomorrow to see if I can get by... I wonder how much extra protection a proper guard gives (dont think I've ever tried a proper mudguard on the mtb front forks as the inner tube worked well enough)...

Good reminder :-bd
redefined_cycles

SKS raceblade pro is whats been working for me for past 12 months or so on the road bike and seem solid. Previously had some others that didnt last well.

These just fasten on with their included rubber fastenings and once you get em centred they're solid and quiet with good coverage...

Not sure if they come in a wider version for gravel tires though (I'm on 28c with actual width of 30)
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bit of a thread revival

Anyone tried honjo h95 flat fenders?

I solved last times connundrum with some velo orange guards. Looking squeeze some mudguards round some 2.25 tyres this time.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

SKS do a 60mm wide 700c guard. I used them on My Fargo with 2.3's no probs. I bought mine from bikediscount.de as non of the UK stockists had them at the time...
faustus

Post by faustus »

SKS do a 75mm guard that looks to cover wide mtb tyres up to at least 2.5inch, and nice fittings if not the longest blades. Quite heavy but worth a look. I'm contemplating some for my Unit over winter... EDIT - and way cheaper than Honjo! :grin:

https://www.merlincycles.com/sks-blueme ... source=PHG
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'll have a look. Although, I got all swapsie earlier.

I had good root about and discovered an unused set of 53mm bluemels I bought last year that didn't fit over the 45mm riddlers on my pinnacle. At the time, I stored them for future use (forgot to return them) and bought a set of VO 63mm guards.

So, I've swapped the tyres on the Arkose to 35mm G-Ones I had that I took off an old bike before donating it to my middle child and put the SKS guards on that.

I now have a set of 63mm VO guards to try to fit over the 2.25 tyres. I hate fitting mudguards so got bored after the first set (Arkose) and have left the next stage for later or tomorrow. I'll look at thse 75mm ones if these dont fit
faustus

Post by faustus »

Well the VO 'guards are very nice if they do fit - good luck! :-bd