Best Saddle and Shorts for ITT’s and LD XC Racing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Best Saddle and Shorts for ITT’s and LD XC Racing

Post by dlovett »

I currently have some charged spoons and a Love mud Kush.

What are you opinions for super comfy saddles to only be used for 150-300 single day and 500-900km multi racing as the ones I have are great for everything else.

Also shorts, i’ve never spend much money on fancy shorts, do they make a difference? I currently have about five pairs of Aldi/Lidi ones that feel fine most of the time.
whitestone

Re: Best Saddle and Shorts for ITT’s and LD XC Racing

Post by whitestone »

Well, it's your arse Duncan :lol:

I've currently got SDG Circuits on two of my bikes (the Solaris and fat bike) and a Fizik something or other on the FS Spearfish. Not impressed with the Fizik, I got it half-price in a sale (RRP was £120 :shock: ) and within a couple of hundred km of riding there were cracks in the surface material. I like the Circuit, it's got a light texture to it that helps hold you in place but not too well.

I've a mixture of DHB, Red-White, Madison and Milltag (club kit). Some work better than others depending on which bike/saddle I'm on. I did have some Assos bib shorts which were very good but the pad was too thick and would become sweaty and clammy. The DHB shorts have their thinnest pad for example.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm really not sure there's an answer to this question or at least, no useful one. Some folk will say high-end shorts, saddle, others will argue that mid-range stuff is fine, then you'll get the likes of Jameso and me that don't wear padded shorts and firmly believe that developing an arse like rhino hide is the way forward.

No two folk are the same.
May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

It’s a shame you can’t test your own ass to get a definitive answer!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't Specialized offer a saddle fitting service where they measure your arse?
May the bridges you burn light your way
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Since you mentioned the Charge Spoon, I have one on the road bike, but on the MTB and Sutra I have the Charge Pan, similar to the Spoon but with more (fairly firm) padding seems to suit a more upright position better (bars evel with saddle). Use the Pan a lot without padded shorts.

Re shorts I started out with Aldi, but now I go for Decathlon shorts, Think its either 500 or 900 series, has a blue pad, find them comfortable and not too bulky. Not expensive.
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am Don't Specialized offer a saddle fitting service where they measure your arse?
Shimano pro do one, i've seen an ergon one online somewhere too.

This is a handy way to measure up at home, plenty other guides out there too: https://www.sq-lab.com/en/ergonomics/sq ... asurement/

I like my fabric scoop which is a charge spoon without the stitching on the rear surface.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you like the size/shape of the Spoon but want something that last longer then the 143mm saddles from Specialized might suit you. There are different models for road and MTB. There are Gel models too that might provide additional comfort on longer rides.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

dlovett wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:10 am I currently have some charged spoons and a Love mud Kush.

What are you opinions for super comfy saddles to only be used for 150-300 single day and 500-900km multi racing as the ones I have are great for everything else.

Also shorts, i’ve never spend much money on fancy shorts, do they make a difference? I currently have about five pairs of Aldi/Lidi ones that feel fine most of the time.
Regards the shorts. The ones that have extra/better material aroynd the backside - for example singletracks of old- feel lile you have an extra thick layer of skin protecting your behind. Works well for me and rarely get any pressure sore issues even though my saddles a bit rubbish (standard Giant issue that seems to be falling apart)...

In contrast if I use my softshell walk8ng ME pants which are good for multi weather due to drying fast. They can get a bit chaffy...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am Don't Specialized offer a saddle fitting service where they measure your arse?
Do indeed... one of the guys that did the charity ride with me (the one I've failed 3 times on now: 230 miles road 12000ft upwards). He had his saddle measured up and they gave him a short widish one... asked him post ride how his bottom been... never been happier!!
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Haven't done more than 3 days/12-14hrs riding per day so my opinion may be useless , but as for bibs ,I have a pair of morvelo Overland which are comfy but I bought a pair off a company called zipfit in Cannock for £20 and the pad is way more comfy than the morvelo ones ,the only problem is that they are gopping to look at but as I always wear baggies over the top not a problem ,they make the bibs for a lot of the local clubs and the pad is very similar to higher end bibs ,worth a shot for the money ,saddles I just use with volts on everything
jameso

Post by jameso »

Getting the saddle width right makes most difference ime. 135 - 142 - 155mm seem common widths and I'm far more comfy on one than another over a long day or 3.

RE my rhino-hide arse :grin: I just don't find padded shorts any more comfortable over 3 days or more. Padded shorts are accepted as a go-to. Over a 2hr to all-day ride, sure. But even the good ones store more warmth and moisture and that causes problems (for me) in time. I'd rather have something a bit thinner, faster-drying and more airy ie close-fitting poly sports boxers. Chammy cream makes far more difference - w/o that whatever you wear can be uncomfortable toward the end of the day.
Scud

Post by Scud »

I think it is very personal, but also depends on what type of bike you're riding, i have an old Brooks B17 on my Singular Gryphon that i use as my long distance mountain bike, which now it is molded to the shape of my harris, is extremely comfortable, but have tried the same on drop-bar bik and it is too wide.

I use a Brooks Cambium on gravel / road bike.

For shorts, best i have found is the Sportful Total Comfort, happily ridden for a week, 12 hours a day in the same pair.

My it is all subjective, what works for a big duffer like me, may not work for a racing snake.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

jameso - do you have any particular recommendations for close fitting boxers that don't have seams in the wrong place?

As mentioned above I always use bib shorts, but I do find these can cause problems of multi-day rides. The pad tends to get squished and cause rubbing in places where there shouldn't be any! This caused some discomfort towards the end of a 600km audax I did last weekend.
jameso

Post by jameso »

NewRetroTom wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:42 am jameso - do you have any particular recommendations for close fitting boxers that don't have seams in the wrong place?

As mentioned above I always use bib shorts, but I do find these can cause problems of multi-day rides. The pad tends to get squished and cause rubbing in places where there shouldn't be any! This caused some discomfort towards the end of a 600km audax I did last weekend.
Mine have seams 'in the wrong place' ie right down the middle but they don't bother me. Saddle shouldn't put too much pressure there. The main thing is that they shouldn't move too much or fold up and the longer-leg type can be a problem like that. imo that's mostly what padded lycra short does that's of use, stay put. The best ones I found were in the US, Walmart maybe. Like polyester speedos. Bought a 3-pack after a ride there and tried them when back home as I wasn't in a good way with seated comfort at the time. I still use them, 1000s of miles in them. Tried some Uniqlo gym boxers and they're very thin soft fabric but they bunch/fold up.
edit to add, Crikey, how much merino boxers were an expensive mistake. Merino rubs badly and the fabric wore through fairly quickly. I think the more minimal, thinner and non-absorbant (!) materials are best and you just need then to not shift around as you pedal.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ràpha Brevet bibs are the bee's knees. Ignore the cost and treat yourself. Better still, wait until they have a 20% off or similar promo.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Specialized, Bontrager and Selle Italia all offer this service and all three* offer money back guarantee within 30 days if you don’t like the fit.

Padded shorts wise, I like Crikey, how much, do find the classic to be better than the basic range, but that’s more around the tummy area than the arse area.

If you’re finding you’re trying lots of saddles without luck, a bike fit can help with this

*at least my local store does
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I friend spoke who works there says yes, but it was silly $$$$ apparently plus the saddle on top.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

PeterC wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:52 am Since you mentioned the Charge Spoon, I have one on the road bike, but on the MTB and Sutra I have the Charge Pan, similar to the Spoon but with more (fairly firm) padding seems to suit a more upright position better (bars evel with saddle). Use the Pan a lot without padded shorts.

Re shorts I started out with Aldi, but now I go for Decathlon shorts, Think its either 500 or 900 series, has a blue pad, find them comfortable and not too bulky. Not expensive.
I'll have a look at those ta.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Honey, can you come and measure my ass for me. Hmm not sure how ell that will go down at home!! Still I;'ll give it a try and see if my current saddle fit me.

Shimano pro do one, i've seen an ergon one online somewhere too.

This is a handy way to measure up at home, plenty other guides out there too: https://www.sq-lab.com/en/ergonomics/sq ... asurement/

I like my fabric scoop which is a charge spoon without the stitching on the rear surface.
[/quote]
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:31 am If you like the size/shape of the Spoon but want something that last longer then the 143mm saddles from Specialized might suit you. There are different models for road and MTB. There are Gel models too that might provide additional comfort on longer rides.
How long would you say a saddle lasts for? I wonder If mine are worn out?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:01 am Haven't done more than 3 days/12-14hrs riding per day so my opinion may be useless , but as for bibs ,I have a pair of morvelo Overland which are comfy but I bought a pair off a company called zipfit in Cannock for £20 and the pad is way more comfy than the morvelo ones ,the only problem is that they are gopping to look at but as I always wear baggies over the top not a problem ,they make the bibs for a lot of the local clubs and the pad is very similar to higher end bibs ,worth a shot for the money ,saddles I just use with volts on everything
Is that zip fit or Zipvit who set to be in that area?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I did have a bike fit down on both the road and mob a couple of years ago. All of the others are set up according to those numbers. Its only crazy distance muti day they I am feeling it. Perhaps its just a case of MTFU with me ass. Still every little bit I can do to help it.
voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:50 pm
Specialized, Bontrager and Selle Italia all offer this service and all three* offer money back guarantee within 30 days if you don’t like the fit.

Padded shorts wise, I like Expensive hipster brand, do find the classic to be better than the basic range, but that’s more around the tummy area than the arse area.

If you’re finding you’re trying lots of saddles without luck, a bike fit can help with this

*at least my local store does
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

dlovett wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:55 pm
middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:01 am Haven't done more than 3 days/12-14hrs riding per day so my opinion may be useless , but as for bibs ,I have a pair of morvelo Overland which are comfy but I bought a pair off a company called zipfit in Cannock for £20 and the pad is way more comfy than the morvelo ones ,the only problem is that they are gopping to look at but as I always wear baggies over the top not a problem ,they make the bibs for a lot of the local clubs and the pad is very similar to higher end bibs ,worth a shot for the money ,saddles I just use with volts on everything
Is that zip fit or Zipvit who set to be in that area?
Sorry zipvit ,gopping white and blue bibs with logo over the legs ,but totally comfortable
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Interesting topic. Think the replies just show how personal this is.
I go all out for old Brooks leather saddles - they don't wear out.
Fargo has a Swift titanium and Krampus a B17 narrow titanium.
Related to your other post I sometimes use a USE shock post for 24hr ITT’s when I don’t need a seat pack. Even considering a light rack ( :o ) to use a dry bag with instead of the seat pack and use the USE permanently.
I just dropped some big notes on Crikey, how much cargo bibs on Saturday so can update on how good they are soon. My best shorts to date were some moderately expensive Endurance ones with thick Lycra which were comfy and lasted a decade of regular use.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC