TD 2019 rigs ('bikes' for the English speakers).

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Re: TD 2019 rigs ('bikes' for the English speakers).

Post by Alpinum »

Thanks James.

OT
I've been wondering as to what limits a steep seat angle, as some of my bikes are >75 ° STA and those that aren't have the saddle in the most forward position. No aerobars in use in my case and very, very little experience with them (Cat Cheetah many years ago for 40 km - that's all), but I feel more comfort and efficient when seated in a forward position, although there seems to be more pressure on the wrists, which may ask for some adjustments on the cockpit. And there's less flex in the seatpost that also can work against comfort on rigid/HT frames. But all in all it's better for me. Just curious what others think of it.

I must say I'm really happy to see and feel the current developments in geometry (coming from trail bikes) and think we'll see it trickle on to other bike types even more in near future(?)
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ been thinking about that. The steeper seat angle for climbing / trail bikes thing was evident as soon as Marzocchi made lock-down forks. But there's no getting away from how it shifts your c of g forward and puts more pressure on your arms or hands on the flat, that's the drawback for anything I'm going to spend a long time on. Basic bike fitting is about weight distribution, saddle is crucial to that - assuming you're going to spend much time sat on it of course.. We will see the steep STA on more bike types, just doesn't mean it's optimum for all that will use it or all riders of those bikes.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Yeah, and raising the bars to find a better weight distribution will negate the effect somewhat on climbing performance, one of the main drivers for forward positioning. That's probably where the geo balance must be found.Yet, having ridden two bikes on which I changed the HA by 1.5 and 2 ° I felt the climbing (next to the main driver - better DH performance) had improved, not in switchbacks (more work in tight corners, when you can't lay the bike down because your riding uphill) but it got much easier to keep the front wheel down.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I’ve been training a lot with the drops and aeros. it’s worked wonders to give me multiple positions and got rid of the numb palms I used to get. Also after a few days of thumb shifters I can hardly change gear. This is gone with the sram flick shift. I may have fallen for the marketing but i so wish i’d had this bike for Torino Nice as it is perfect for long drawn out climbs and long road sections.

Everyone out here has bottles on forks. I can’t be doing with them so will probably die.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:40 pm
Everyone out here has bottles on forks. I can’t be doing with them so will probably die.
No one has ever won with bottles on forks so if you're the only one without them you'll probably win :smile:

Good luck Dave, you'll smash it :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:40 pmAlso after a few days of thumb shifters I can hardly change gear. This is gone with the sram flick shift. I may have fallen for the marketing but i so wish i’d had this bike for Torino Nice as it is perfect for long drawn out climbs and long road sections.
I remember reading about Mike Hall's TDR bike https://reviews.mtbr.com/fastest-bike-a ... t-les-29er and thinking he was risking it using Di2 (as if I'd know better than him!) then after my first multi-day ride and being unable to operate the thumb shifter I began to think it was rather a good idea :wink:

The Di2 system also allows for multiple gear shifters.

Found this quote from Mike about Di2: "For me, it’s the execution in how they’ve made it. I thought it was a toy. It’s not. It’s really good to live with. It works so well. "While for mortals, electronic shifting might be considered a luxury, for a man whose races last up to 18,000 miles, it serves a very real purpose. "On the round the world ride, my hands deteriorated,” he said. “You lose dexterity. Your fingers go flaccid.” Transport is another issue where Di2 holds an advantage. “I love flying with Di2, you can pop the cable out, take the mech off, and put it in a box. You don’t have to worry about cable tension. You get the other side and put it back on. That’s a real boon.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
drjon

Post by drjon »

there's a lot of clean bags on those rigs. seems ... surprising.
drjon

Post by drjon »

and re DI2 I agree. I travel a bit and its ace being able to unplug things. its been bomber too fro 2 years now...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

there's a lot of clean bags on those rigs. seems ... surprising.
I'm not surprised. I was far more surprised when reading the later volumes of Cordillera by how many people said the TD was their first bikepacking experience.
May the bridges you burn light your way
drjon

Post by drjon »

that's what I felt the clean bags might represent...good on them though!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Something Cath noticed was that there's a surprising number of riders taking tents. Whether there's any correlation between that and very clean bags is another matter.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ I thought that. And, F sleeping in a tent in bear country ... every sound outside would have me -ing myself. At least in a bivi you can flick a light on and kid yourself that you can get out and away fast :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I always clean all my kit before the start of a race and the bike, it needs to look good on instagram :wink:

If you're flying in to canada or the USA would having a dirty bike and bags be an issue? With the risk (perceived or otherwise) of bringing in a biohazard?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bears?! :shock: No-one said anything about bears!

I know a lot of (most?) riders carry bear spray but how far down the route are they a potential problem? The bears not the riders.

Edit - see this page http://www.xcountrybike.com/3/bearslightning/ - Pinedale, Wyoming apparently. The alternative pose to take in a lightning storm is worth a look :-bd

Sean - there's clean and there's pristine :wink:
Last edited by whitestone on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

No one else put their luggage in the wash machine :oops: No? Just me...?!

I’d clean my kit if I was setting off to do a 2000 mile ride. Let’s face it, a dirty bag will hold more rain etc than one that has been cleaned and reproofed to shed rain.

Also, don’t americans stop riding if it rains? I swear many trails are classes if they’re wet but could be mistaken, hence why they have clean kit.

Fair play to those riders who have never bikepacked before, talk about a baptism of fire 🔥
drjon

Post by drjon »

just incase its of use, washing machines can delam x pac...it goes from being pretty water proof to really not very waterproof as I found out when I decided to 'feck it, how bad can it be?' with an x pac bag...
jameso

Post by jameso »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:43 pm I always clean all my kit before the start of a race and the bike, it needs to look good on instagram :wink:

If you're flying in to canada or the USA would having a dirty bike and bags be an issue? With the risk (perceived or otherwise) of bringing in a biohazard?
Don't think the Canadians cared too much and at the border they really didn't seem to care. They certainly won't miss you on the way out when you really are a biohazard.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:43 pm I always clean all my kit before the start of a race and the bike, it needs to look good on instagram :wink:

Whether or not it's a legal requirement, we should be thoroughly cleaning our kt before venturing into new areas anyway. I'm not known for keeping my bikes very clean but they get a good going over when I ride somewhere different from home and again when I return.
drjon

Post by drjon »

Be tricky while racing tour divide, no? ;-)~
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

drjon wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:31 pm and re DI2 I agree. I travel a bit and its ace being able to unplug things. its been bomber too fro 2 years now...
Yup, I'm the same DrJon...

Bob, its funny you mention that about Mikw Hall taking di2 for his mtbing/TD. My first lust for di2/electrical shifting came after a 2017 freezing cold 310 miler (that Festive500 thing by Rahpa) through the Peaks and back through it over 3 days. Twas my first multi day trip on any bike and my first big road bike trip. Campagnolo gearing which all started off rather well but the combination of cold as well as continual shifting up/down due to the climbs left my hands numb on the 3rd day. Totally numb and for a few days/weeks with nerve damage.

I vowed that I needed Di2 and to try and check it out. Managed to get some old Dura Ace (7970 version) di2 and popped it onto my next road bike build. Oh how lovely it was (whilst it lasted) and the next Festive500 (I call it Solo300 as I convert to miles) was oh so lovely.

However di2 started goving me some electrical gremlins and in the end I had to fleabay it (lesson from this is to only buy the newer di2 stuff thats intercompatible) as it was obsolete and an arm/leg to replace bits. Vowed never to return to Di2, but I did and had 5000 happy miles on some 6870 stuff which is still going strong.

I've often wondered about whether I need di2 on the mtb as I never ride it as far. But after 60 miles (thats the max I've done on Stan (the Sonder)) my thumb for the rear (its 1x) does become a little painful. Especially the tip of the thumb/finger... I think you've just helped me answer my pondering of whether I needs Di2 on the mtb eventually. Thanks Bob :-bd

Definitely not a toy, and brings a smile to the face. But the previous (the one that got gremlins for me) groupset started its 'beginning of the end' after taking a ding to the rear mech (by me falling sideways out of exhaustion on an Etape Du Dales where I'd come under geared). The newer stuff apparently has some crash protection built into it and I imagine for mtb Shimano would have thought through its robustness alot more...

Regards charging... I've managed to get at least 800 miles of shift happy (due to lots of elevation on the road) shifting bwtween charges and one can easily take the charging adaptor with you on a big ride and it'll happily charge up from my powerBank...
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:10 pm

The Di2 system also allows for multiple gear shifters.
[/quote]

I read some horror stories about how people had tried to calibrate via (I think bluettoth or whatever) the app and get the multi shifting thing going. Only to find they really screwed everything over. I might have overthinked/thought it but I decided against messing about with em. Just lovely as they are...

Bob, are you on di2 on both the road and mtb?? Hows it holding out against all the mud of multi dayers??
redefined_cycles

*sorry. I've just messed up Bobs quote... :smile:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I don't have Di2 on any bike. I considered it when building up the Spearfish but couldn't justify the extra cost.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Like most, Di2 is way beyond my means but ... it's 'ing brilliant :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Ive Di2 on the posh road bike. I am abooooout to order a groupset for the winter road bike too. Ive numb, bloodless fingers in even remotely cold weather. The ease of just pressing a button really helps on long distance audax rides. My hands can turn to inoperable claws with the cold/wet and fatigue.