TD 2019 rigs ('bikes' for the English speakers).

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ssnowman

TD 2019 rigs ('bikes' for the English speakers).

Post by ssnowman »

The rigs and riders list is out and there's even a special mention about a carbon toothbrush!

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/tour-divide-rigs-2019/
May satan walk with you
voodoo_simon

Re: TD 2019 rigs

Post by voodoo_simon »

Let’s play, count the salsa bikes....

I’m guessing 7 will be listed without clicking or knowing how bikes are listed!

Always find it interesting the variety of bikes and setups (ie how much each rider pack) for the race
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'm going to say 50 salsa out of 200 starters? I'll look and see how I got on but won't post the answer so others can play :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Plenty on here know the TD terrain, so a question for ya...

Is the proliferation of offroad dropbar bikes on this event because the route is non-tech but off tarmac, fashion, or a bit of both? I know the Cutthroat was designed specially for this event, but was it JayPs preference or something that actually works better for most?

(I spec'd up my 'perfect' TD bike in about 2010 and even with my roots as a roadie I wouldn't have dreamt of running drop bars, and still wouldn't now with more offroad dropbar experience).
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Also, I'd go with Ikons like Dave, but I see a lot of Vittoria Mezcals in those setups. Are they a good fast XC tyre? Might have to give 'em a try.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Interesting to see that Josh Kato is running 3x10, yes you read that right: three by ten.

Seems to be a slight preference towards those running with a dynamo hub as opposed to relying on batteries and topping up at motels, etc.

Quite a few running Vittoria Mezcal tyres as well.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Dyffers wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:12 pm Also, I'd go with Ikons like Dave, but I see a lot of Vittoria Mezcals in those setups. Are they a good fast XC tyre? Might have to give 'em a try.
I've a 2.6" Mezcal on the front of my Solaris. Fast rolling as the tread knogs form a centre ridgeline. Good for dry conditions but the compound feels as if it's towards the harder end of the spectrum and I'm a bit wary of it on meeting wet roots and the like.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Highlights for me include Dave's music collection, Tea Boy's fears, Greg's weak climbing ability, Nate's innate sense of doom, and Tucker Turtle.
Nick Karwoski loses points for Limp Bizkit.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

As usual the Cutthroat is the most popular bike, this year accounting for more than 25%.

There appears to be more running Lauf forks this year.
May satan walk with you
metalheart

Re: TD 2019 rigs ('bikes' for the English speakers).

Post by metalheart »

Rigs and steeds, ye gods.
Give the dirt a little room.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

metalheart wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:58 pm Rigs and steeds, ye gods.
I've just checked and the article is definitely titled rigs, no mention of bikes or even steeds :wink:
May satan walk with you
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I've just checked and the article is definitely titled rigs, no mention of bikes or even steeds :wink:
Aye , but the first bike set up the guy talks about his iron horse... after that I just looked at the pictures.... :-bd

The Specialized of the lady (Ms Hayes) from Salida had me thinking, now thats way to do it :grin:
Give the dirt a little room.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Dyffers wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm Plenty on here know the TD terrain, so a question for ya...

Is the proliferation of offroad dropbar bikes on this event because the route is non-tech but off tarmac, fashion, or a bit of both? I know the Cutthroat was designed specially for this event, but was it JayPs preference or something that actually works better for most?

(I spec'd up my 'perfect' TD bike in about 2010 and even with my roots as a roadie I wouldn't have dreamt of running drop bars, and still wouldn't now with more offroad dropbar experience).
I'm with you .. love drops but for this, no. Reasons are a bit of a long post that would cover nothing new though and it's all personal stuff. I could change my mind .. Jay P knows what he's doing, Greg liked them, Josh Kato won on them .. where you put your hands is only part of the bike etc. I mean, there's far worse things you can do (aero bars) :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The fastest bike ever on the divide

https://reviews.mtbr.com/fastest-bike-a ... t-les-29er

No aero bars, no drops, not made by Salsa :smile:

I hate to quote that texan but "It's not about the bike"
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ so true. I hope people realise I'm only joking about aero bars : ) It's probably about the kit, or lack of. Sofiane Sehili is looking good for a fast ride on that basis, he was quick 1st time round. Some riders just don't have much and it seems to be a sign of the experienced all-out-not-stopping approach, since you'd probably not set off on that route under-packed if it was your first time. More the opposite.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'm sure I read somewhere that no previous winner has ever had fork mounted bottles/luggage and it was suggested that there is the aerodynamic advantage to this.

I own some aero bars but I've never been able to bring myself to fit them. I think I'd get too much stick from my mates especially as a single-speeder. But when I ride with my forearms on the top of the Jones I can feel the reduced effort to ride at the same cadence, especially if there's any kind of headwind at all. I'd need to train like it to be able to do it for any length of time and then it's a slippery slope to skin-suits and pointy helmets :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'd say it was taken as read that everyone (?) doing the TDR will have a handlebar setup that allows for multiple hand positions. Quite how they get to that setup is obviously varied. Using aero bars (or sitting with forearms on top of Jones Bars) does require a certain strength in your core.

I'm not sure if Greg's got his blog back up and running but he did a pretty thorough walk-through and discussion of his setup and kit and is well worth a read (if you can). Handling the wide variety of weather seems to be the catch. Was it last year that was really wet and cold for the first week or so?

Is it me or do the full frame bags in the various Cutthroats look absolutely massive? Maybe they are all really tall riders and the frames are all XL :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm sure I read somewhere that no previous winner has ever had fork mounted bottles/luggage and it was suggested that there is the aerodynamic advantage to this.
That's certainly my experience of fork mounted luggage and faster / smoother roads / tracks.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:04 pm Is it me or do the full frame bags in the various Cutthroats look absolutely massive? Maybe they are all really tall riders and the frames are all XL :lol:
I was amazed how much stuff Karl could get in his when I looked at it on the BB300. I think the frame may have been optimized to get a large frame bag in. This makes sense for carrying kit but then you have to re-locate your bottles.
jameso

Post by jameso »

But when I ride with my forearms on the top of the Jones I can feel the reduced effort to ride at the same cadence, especially if there's any kind of headwind at all.
It certainly works and that's all I do, for a few miles at a time, max. A bike that's set up for distances doesn't let me pedal effectively in that position (seat angle's too slack) but it's fine for a break, windy section etc so I don't bother with proper aero bars. I got bad nerve damage on the TD though so don't listen to me on this topic.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:04 pm I'd say it was taken as read that everyone (?) doing the TDR will have a handlebar setup that allows for multiple hand positions. Quite how they get to that setup is obviously varied. Using aero bars (or sitting with forearms on top of Jones Bars) does require a certain strength in your core.

I'm not sure if Greg's got his blog back up and running but he did a pretty thorough walk-through and discussion of his setup and kit and is well worth a read (if you can). Handling the wide variety of weather seems to be the catch. Was it last year that was really wet and cold for the first week or so?

Is it me or do the full frame bags in the various Cutthroats look absolutely massive? Maybe they are all really tall riders and the frames are all XL :lol:
GregMay??
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:40 pm The fastest bike ever on the divide

https://reviews.mtbr.com/fastest-bike-a ... t-les-29er

No aero bars, no drops, not made by Salsa :smile:

I hate to quote that texan but "It's not about the bike"
He was just a cycling legend was that man.... Sean, notice he was running the same saddle and bars bags as your goodself :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shafiq - yes, Greg May.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Seeing all the Salsa I get the strong feeling marketing works really well on bikepackers.
By Salsa I don't mean sauce (prep'ing for spanish course tonight).
jameso wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm A bike that's set up for distances doesn't let me pedal effectively in that position (seat angle's too slack)
How do you mean that? Kind of hard to rule in just the seat angle as it affects so many things, but would like to read your reasoning.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Alpinum wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:24 pm
jameso wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm A bike that's set up for distances doesn't let me pedal effectively in that position (seat angle's too slack)
How do you mean that? Kind of hard to rule in just the seat angle as it affects so many things, but would like to read your reasoning.
Well I don't TT so I could be wrong ... and bear in mind I prefer loop/H-bars and a slacker STA for long distances and loops give me some of the aerobar benefit at times anyway.
During the little use I have given aerobars, or riding in that general position, I find I need to rotate forward around the BB to pedal well, ie shift forwards on the saddle a fair way. Otherwise my hip-upper body angle is too compressed and any gain in aero is offset by a lack of power output. Much of the upper body position can come from the adjustment in most aerobars but the seat angle change or needing to sit right on the rivet isn't so easy. The steep STA is a common thing in TT bike set up, kind of the opposite of my Jones that rotates the rider back with a relatively high front. The Jones STA is about 72 degrees at my saddle height, saddle's fairly central on a layback post, hardly slack in general and ime good for all day, often seated rides vs a modern trail bike at maybe 75-76 degrees, with an inline dropper that's effectively another 1.5 deg steeper.
What I see on many TDR rigs (sorry) is aerobars that are set quite high. I could pedal that position w/o issue but I'm not really getting more aero, only getting my arms out of the wind a little, and giving my hands a break (that's probably the most valid reason here).

I suppose I think if you can get a speed advantage from fitting aerobars the course isn't of interest to me or it's road TT racer domain - the TDR was getting that way at times but I'm not sure there's more than 150 miles of road where you could gain real time, the advantage is mainly in just changing position. I could say that not having aerobars helped me lose a couple of places on the last day, last 70 miles are flat road, but really with all the other things going on it made no odds.