Jones+Aero Bars

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Jones+Aero Bars

Post by dlovett »

Does anybody here use Jones Loop bars with Aero bars? If so any chance you can post some pictures of your setup for me please.

Many thanks

Duncan
thenorthwind

Re: Jones+Aero Bars

Post by thenorthwind »

Here's a few from a recent trip (first with this setup - will probably use them again, but may try tweaking the position a bit):

Image2019-05-24 13.12.59 by Dave W, on Flickr

ImageP5240414 by Dave W, on Flickr

ImageP5230397 by Dave W, on Flickr

ImageP5210320 by Dave W, on Flickr

ImageP5190161 by Dave W, on Flickr
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Many thanks for those. From the pictures it looks like you have them touching the outer bar is that right? I have an old set of Tekon TT bars in my parent's garage that I want to try out. I'm hoping that they are the right size for the Jone's diameter. I guess it will involve some tape and gadget moving.

ImageIMG_2787 by Duncan Lovett, on Flickr
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

31.8mm for the Tokens. Don’t know how much bulge the Jone’s have but you’ll probably be fine.
I’ve a set I put on my Fargo occasionally. They’re cheap and cheerful but I find they work well enough/are comfortable enough.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:22 pm 31.8mm for the Tokens. Don’t know how much bulge the Jone’s have but you’ll probably be fine.
I’ve a set I put on my Fargo occasionally. They’re cheap and cheerful but I find they work well enough/are comfortable enough.
Cheers, I'll grab them next time I visit and hopefully they will fit. I guess I'll get even stranger looks next time I'm at QECP. Most people think fat is weird, let alone with Jones's. God know what they will think with try bars as well.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

From the pictures it looks like you have them touching the outer bar is that right?
They're actually hovering very slightly above - didn't want them rubbing. This set-up is a bit of a compromise - the grip of the aero bars is a bit low, and the Jones bars could do with being pointed down (at the grips) a bit more. Ideally, the pads would be higher, which would also solve that problem. Considering some sort of riser (think I saw one for exactly this purpose on here a while back but at great expense) - wondering if one of those bar extenders for space for lights, etc. would be strong enough. Probably a bit ugly too, but it looks a bit ridiculous anyway :wink:

Pretty certain the relevant bit of the Jones bars are 31.8. My aero bars are these, and I don't think I used any of the shims that came with them: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/ ... aluminium/ (much cheapness, and seem good quality - other designs available too, some even cheaper).
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Cheers I'll have a fiddle when I pick them up.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I've set them up roughly how you have and will tweak the positioning from there.

Cheers

ImageIMG_1198 by Duncan Lovett, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1199 by Duncan Lovett, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1200 by Duncan Lovett, on Flickr
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Well they felt very uncomfortable like my shoulders were being squashed together. However on ride today to have lunch with my parents, they got PB's on 17 out of 26 starva segments. On the way home it was 11 out of 24 so they must actually work. TBH after lunch, they felt a bit less uncomfortable. Note to self, always have a cider then wine with lunch and the bike ride will feel much better. Actually that's a much better idea than new wheel, tyres and other bits....

Oh and if you are ever near Emsworth in West Sussex (Right on the County line with Hampshire) you should try the Deck, amazing food and service.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2457632061

https://www.strava.com/activities/2457632094