Tour Divide 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Re: Tour Divide 2019

Post by voodoo_simon »

Anyone else thinking this will make a good Hollywood film edit...

... :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

whitestone wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:35 pm TL now showing Lael Wilcox as a scratch so Alexandera is now leading lady.
Doesn't make sense to scratch after all the effort to film it. Mechanical failure perhaps?

Im sure theres a good reason of course.

Go Alexandera !!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Tea Boy has posted on Facebook he's definitely binned the ride this time. Shame really, all he had to do was ride with Mr Barter for a while. Just goes to show there's more to riding something like this than being physically fit, mental fitness is a big part of the picture too.

The weather forecast shows things warming up, hopefully the mud will have dried when Dave gets to Brush Mountain.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:09 pm
found a cave and went to use it to find a cougar resting there :shock:
Ooh I'd have stayed although I'm possibly far too old for a cougar now ... I'm probably at the GILF stage.
That's the best thing I have read this week on the entire internet.
*Applause*
:lol:
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

According to Lael's IG (Rue), she's scratched but still riding the route... :???:

But, yeah, go Alexandra. She's a machine! PAF!! :-bd
Give the dirt a little room.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think it's starting to get to him now - Dave 'posing' in the Basin.

May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

metalheart wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:19 pm According to Lael's IG (Rue), she's scratched but still riding the route... :???:
I'm not surprised at all.

How much easier will it be to make a great movie without all the pesky self-supported rule constraints?

Once the record was out of sight I imagine the pull of her partner being close but uncontactable made the decision quite (too?) easy.

I do wonder if she felt a bit of additional pressure (either applied or implied) to scratch at that convenient point precisely because the filming would be that much easier (better?) and the sponsors would be happier with the outcome (now that there's an epic weather story angle etc...) and so it kind of makes professional sense to do it as she has.

No judgement on her either way as it's a only bike ride at the end of the day. But.....it must've crossed her mind.

Just a thought...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Pirahna wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:01 pm Shame really, all he had to do was ride with Mr Barter for a while.
I'm saying nothing. :lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

gairym wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:00 am
metalheart wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:19 pm According to Lael's IG (Rue), she's scratched but still riding the route... :???:
Once the record was out of sight I imagine the pull of her partner being close but uncontactable made the decision quite (too?) easy.
I thought this all along, having your partner with you makes it all too easy to jack it in. Without them and a plane ticket that still has 20 days to go (etc etc) would make it easier to stay in the race - all my opinion of course
jameso

Post by jameso »

Don't forget that anyone of those riders who've already got a fast finish to their names know the recovery cost of something like this. If you were making a living from riding you might be inclined to fight again another day rather than do the damage (even if only the long-term fatigue) that a rookie might see as a price more worth paying.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Isn't Lael racing at the Silk Road Mountain Race? That starts on Aug 17th so if her hopes for the TD are now out of reach it makes sense to scratch from racing to save herself for that? But if she's riding the route anyway and she's well ahead of 'touring' pace she could have kept going and got another 'finish' for the record.

I think I saw that her partner was at Brush Mountain Lodge? If so then maybe she scratched before being disqualified for visitation? But I've only skimmed the treads on FB so may have that wrong.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A reasonable comment James.

I remember reading that apart from short rides to go fishing Josh Kato didn't ride a bike for nearly six months after winning the TDR a few years ago. That level of intensity has to take it out of you.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:55 pm Isn't Lael racing at the Silk Road Mountain Race? That starts on Aug 17th so if her hopes for the TD are now out of reach it makes sense to scratch from racing to save herself for that?
Makes a lot of sense yes, had forgotten that.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't forget that anyone of those riders who've already got a fast finish to their names know the recovery cost of something like this. If you were making a living from riding you might be inclined to fight again another day rather than do the damage (even if only the long-term fatigue) that a rookie might see as a price more worth paying.
While I realise that from a practical and maybe monetary point of view this is correct, 'quitting' because you realise that you can't win, set a new record or things haven't gone according to plan or schedule, seems somewhat at odds with the message preached by the industry and media. Dunno?
jameso

Post by jameso »

whitestone wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:56 pm A reasonable comment James.

I remember reading that apart from short rides to go fishing Josh Kato didn't ride a bike for nearly six months after winning the TDR a few years ago. That level of intensity has to take it out of you.
Took me 3 months or more to stop feeling really slow in everything I did, just a deep, underlying fatigue. I expect these guys are more conditioned to it physically but I don't think sleep deprivation is something you get used to or can adapt to?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:58 pmWhile I realise that from a practical and maybe monetary point of view this is correct, 'quitting' because you realise that you can't win, set a new record or things haven't gone according to plan or schedule, seems somewhat at odds with the message preached by the industry and media. Dunno?
Bigger picture vs main or only ride of the year? It is primarily a race, rather than a tour with all the deeper meanings that can go with riding non-competitively? I'm ok with riders having their own motivations (no suggestion of counter-position intended). I do have a huge level of respect for Josh Kato right now though, really positive stuff.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Looks like Mr Barter is about 45 miles away from Brush Mountain. Top work.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Josh Kato is at Del Norte hospital :shock:

Edit, this is what he had to say

I don’t normally log into Facebook while racing my ultras. However, this Divide is turning more into a survival march for me.
Last night I awoke vomiting, shaking and coughing uncontrollably.
I was able to point my bike to Del Norte. Feels like my body is on auto-pilot right now. Can’t really make it do what I want it just does what it knows it should. Not 100% sure what is wrong. Feels like multiple things at play. Perhaps I pushed too hard and found my limits or maybe something simple as bad food. Who knows, I’ll see how the Del Norte hospital rates things. (Nurse humor: it will be sort of fun to walk in and tell them I feel like I might die)
This race tests you in ways you can’t imagine.
Before I set out this year I had two objectives. Chase and catch the Mike Hall record flag (just for a bit) and to complete the race as fast as I could in memory of a friend who can’t be here now.
I intend to honor my promises. I don’t know at what speed my legs will now carry me but I shall continue forward. We can do more than we think we can and we can be better than we are. Sometimes unexpected stuff happens and we have to figure it out. Believe me, you are tougher and more resilient than you think! We can all be better and we can all do more.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

What a guy...

Thanks for bringing us that Sean...
FLV

Post by FLV »

Wow. Hope he's ok and can continue.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I intend to honor my promises. I don’t know at what speed my legs will now carry me but I shall continue forward. We can do more than we think we can and we can be better than we are. Sometimes unexpected stuff happens and we have to figure it out. Believe me, you are tougher and more resilient than you think! We can all be better and we can all do more.
That's the spirit - good man.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just seen this copied from JK, presumably his FB page:
Well folks, this is a bit more serious. I will remain in hospital tonight and transport somewhere else. Won’t say much now as I need to contact my family. I want to say this-
Remember, if you can be out there do it! Don’t waste time thinking of doing things. Get out there now! Chase your dreams!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That doesn't sound good :sad: hope he's ok.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:59 pm That doesn't sound good :sad: hope he's ok.
Hopeully he will now that they've (hopefully) convinced him to stop/restructure...

My money is on/sounds like Sepsis ? source... I would have gone for chest infection thats become a pneumonia but (and it sounds like he's a nurse) he didnt mention any breathing probs. So... time will tell i guess.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ITU nurse as it happens Shaf, just like all the other hard as nails nurse men out there! :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC