Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Tour Divide 2019

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:15 pm
That first day of 60 hours of being awake
They have some long days in Yorkshire :wink:

"No, it just feels like a long day if you live in Yorkshire". (*)

<runs away and hides behind sofa>

(*) but easily rectified if you simply relocate over its southern border into a proper county.

<dashes out from behind sofa and disappears down the road so nobody can find him and flail him with sticks of forced rhubarb or shove curd tart down his bike shorts>

:wink:
Last edited by RIP on Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Just ask the whippets :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

:lol: :-bd
RIP wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:45 pm

"No, it just feels like a long day if you live in Yorkshire". (*)

<runs away and hides behind sofa>

(*) but easily rectified if you simply relocate over its southern border into a proper county.

<dashes out from behind sofa and disappears down the road so nobody can find him and flail him with sticks of forced rhubarb or shove curd tart down his bike shorts>

:wink:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dave will soon need to be changing his pirate's outfit to that of fur trapper or Inuit.

May the bridges you burn light your way
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

For those who like their bears with a hit of garlic. . .

https://www.justchillies.co.uk/?product ... MGssncFof8

:shock:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just spotted this on Facebook

Word from Brush Mountain Lodge is that 7-8 of the riders there are dropping out. 3-4 are headed out to give the pass a try tonight at 3 AM. They have made bike carrying straps from bike tubes, which they can use if the mud gets too bad. They are sticking together as a group up and over. What an epic race this is. Every year has its share of craziness and this year’s weather is adding to the drama.

On thrackleaders there are 5 riders heading to/over the pass. Josh Ibbett and Lael are still at the lodge (along with 12 others) so it's quite a party they have there now. The weather has cost those who didn't get over the pass in the breif weather window before the bad snow a lot of time, Josh was last tracked 1 day 17 hours ago so that's how long he's been holed up there.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

JK was moving as of a couple of hours ago. There's now a 200 mile gap between the lead riders and those who missed the window, Chris Seistrup is another sixty miles ahead.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I see Dave B is at mile 1303. The Lodge is at 1512 so Dave will be joining them in 2 days time? There are also another 7 riders between Dave and the Lodge so if none of them who are waiting there heads out then by the time Dave arrives there will be 26 riders at the Lodge.

Kirsten put a picture on Insagram before the race started of a huge stack of pizzas she'd got in ready for the racers when they arrive. Let's hope there's not just seafood pizza left when Dave gets there :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

From the comfort of my computer, I'm liking this as it's good to see how the racers cope with an unexpected (and quite different) type of challenge. In my mind, the ultimate goal is 'to finish' and if that means waiting it out or pushing on only to retreat and try again, then good on 'em. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:34 pm From the comfort of my computer, I'm liking this as it's good to see how the racers cope with an unexpected (and quite different) type of challenge. In my mind, the ultimate goal is 'to finish' and if that means waiting it out or pushing on only to retreat and try again, then good on 'em. :-bd
I totally agree but can imagine how those 'racing' the route might feel deflated and defeated by being unable to proceed for a long period of time.

I bet it's a great party atmosphere at the lodge right now and I imagine all those with their priorities correctly aligned (to my way of thinking obviously!) will be hunkering down, having a laugh and waiting out the crappy weather.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Yep, I'm interested to see who finishes and who decides to quit.

For me the number one goal was to finish, but I can definitely understand those who feel that their objective is now out of reach and therefore quit (especially if they are already veterans).
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

We had a similar discussion on the HT550 thread :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

It might come down to how you feel after stopping for 2 days after a week of all-out riding. I know we're all different but if I've been pushing myself for a number of days, after 24hrs or more off the bike the fatigue tends to hit me and I'm in dead-legs recovery mode. Could be really hard to start racing again after an enforced break like that. I guess some might bounce back after the rest though.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I was just thinking the same, I would find it hard to get going physically and mentally after a long break like that, my mind and body would have switched off and be in recovery mode.

I see Alexandera Houchin has arrived at the Lodge, how amazing would it be if she stops for breakfast and then just cracks on and gets riding again making up about 12 places and would also be 1st woman :smile:
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

The 5 who escaped Brush Mountain Lodge have made it over the pass and are now descending (slowly) towards Steamboat.
For the ones who are still there it's becoming a bit like Hotel California.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Looks like there could be some more escapees - Kai Edel, Josh Ibbett, Kim Raeymaekers and Lael are on the move after a leisurely breakfast.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

If one gets through...the others are sure to follow ;)
FLV

Post by FLV »

Perhaps those that carry on are less likely to be racing now?
Last edited by FLV on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Apparently a pic of what the Brush Mtn Mud does to ones bike (pic tsken from bikepacking.net)
redefined_cycles

From the discussion on there, it would appear they're not as accustomed to such glorious mud days. One fella asking why the chain is at that angle... Other lad/lass answered that its called chain suck... Looks like Peak District mud on a nice summers day
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

TL now showing Lael Wilcox as a scratch so Alexandera is now leading lady.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:27 pm Image

Apparently a pic of what the Brush Mtn Mud does to ones bike (pic tsken from bikepacking.net)
Yeah - reminds me of Sleepless in the Saddle. Especially the one where I carried a bike around almost a whole lap at 1 am :|
redefined_cycles

I've been contemplating how I'd get round such a thing if I still had x amount of miles to go. For tomorrows attempt (I had to pull out but Tonto is still going for it) of the Peaks200. I'd planned on taking my Camelbak bottle as it causes a bit of turbulent flow and (maybe 10g) some mud might get washed off until one came across a waterfall/jetwash (bearings: I know)...

In fact such a topic needs discussing and needs a thread of its own :smile: ...

Well done on keeping going on Sleepless in the Saddle (must goohle it but sounds filthy)...