Tour Divide 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

Re: Tour Divide 2019

Post by rufus748 »

whitestone wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:25 pm
What the hell do they put in bear spray?
Bear spray contains 1–2% capsaicin and related capsaicinoids, the key active ingredients.

So basically chilli oil, and is pretty high on the Scoville scale, like 16,000,000 sort of hot. :o The hottest chillies intended for human consumption get to around 3,000,000 on the Scoville scale but yer usual "hot" chillies are more like 100,000.
Having been on the end of spray containing 0.3% capsaicin on a number of occasions I cant begin to imagine the pain from 1-2%. I've had 3rd degree burns before from the 0.3%...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Today we had a hike a bike down Togwota Pass in snow. Looks bad in Colorado so we are holding back on the miles to let it all melt
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:25 am Today we had a hike a bike down Togwota Pass in snow. Looks bad in Colorado so we are holding back on the miles to let it all melt
Apparently there's been 19" of snow at Steamboat Springs :shock:

Four riders made it over Watershed Divide where Sofiane turned back (I think that's the pass) before Steamboat Springs. There are currently ten riders in Brush Mtn Lodge waiting for conditions to improve - the snow melted pretty quickly and there's a lot of mud!

All this means that there's a new name at the head of the leaderboard - Chris Seistrup. Possibly. Currently he and Josh Kato are very close, just time differences in their trackers separating them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

Fwiw the wall section is the 'connector' trail, a hike a bike section that riders handle solo all the time. If you had a bob trailer or big panniers you'd need to shuttle kit though.

Chris Siestrup's riding a very clever race, esp for a rookie. The snow and mud really split the pack, such a shame it slowed SS like that.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

whitestone wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:25 pm
What the hell do they put in bear spray?
Bear spray contains 1–2% capsaicin and related capsaicinoids, the key active ingredients.

So basically chilli oil, and is pretty high on the Scoville scale, like 16,000,000 sort of hot. :o The hottest chillies intended for human consumption get to around 3,000,000 on the Scoville scale but yer usual "hot" chillies are more like 100,000.
Just thought to mention... I wonder if they're the bengali chillies (the ones the bengali folk eat) as there's was a vid on youtube once the lads sent me and they really were 'blow your head off' dept... They must be pretty close to that 100, 000 scale as they have to wear rubber gloves judt to handle them :o

My ex missus (I won't say she was a proper cow... cos I'm polite) once gave me the jamaican chilli paste to put on tip of tongue. Before that I was used to standard pakistani type hot chillies (they're babies in comparison) but them Jamaican ones really blew the head off :wink:

Can't imagine what them 3million scale ones taste like ... ouch (and what a tough cookie that there fella was)...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dave appears to be at the top of a hill somewhere.

May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

Great picture, really looking the part there Dave :grin:
redefined_cycles

What waterproof jacket is Dave sporting?? Anyone? (I think I want one)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

FLV wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:35 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:28 pm Here's a film for ya that you might not have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlrDqnK ... IC84IOEIdg
Hmmm, not sure how to feel about that film.
I find it quite interesting that for some people its all about the challenge rather than the experience. For me doing the TD would be about seeing new places, great scenery, trails and people. The challenge would be secondary and although an important part its not the be all and end all.

An honest film all in all, and salutary of you are considering the TD. She was pretty slick with her logistics (something that does put me off doing the TD[there are several other things...]) - turned up to the airport with only the bike and kit for the ride, even wearing her riding clothes and shoes. Dump the cardboard box at the airport and set off the next day. Gives you flexibility for returning as you don;t have to get back to a base to pick stuff up
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Any news on sofiane? His tracker has moved for a most a day? Do you think he’s turned it off?

Thanks for the info on the bear spray, didn’t realise it was so vicious/nasty :oops:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

News from Lael*
that Kato carried on up a pass to find some shelter, found a cave and went to use it to find a cougar resting there :shock:

If that isn’t motivation to keep moving...

*via Instagram
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

found a cave and went to use it to find a cougar resting there :shock:
Ooh I'd have stayed although I'm possibly far too old for a cougar now ... I'm probably at the GILF stage.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've seen a picture of Lael's bike at Brush Mountain Lodge and she's got a CCF mat strapped to her seatpack, I'm assuming she's bought it on the way, perhaps the no mat gear choice was a step to far given the weather.

It's snowing at the lodge now as well.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Fascinating how the last 24hrs has shook everything up.

From my understanding the gang at the Lodge seem to of missed the weather window. With a few riders up and over I'm surprised someone hasn't made an attempt in the light of day to HAB the mud/snow and get past the limbo. Or is it simply not passable?

Also would anyone with experience/memories of previous editions be able to suggest what mileage gap a fully rested rider (sofi, lael, josh I, etc) could make up on Chris, Josh K, etc. When eventually they head out... would we expect to see Sofi ride like he did in the first few days (sleep wise)

Really pleased for Chris (lost on a bike) have followed his travels vicariously on Instagram and seems a dude. From memory he was due to enter the TD last year but suffered a reasonably innocuous training injury but due to being a haemophilic had severe complications.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:09 pm
found a cave and went to use it to find a cougar resting there :shock:
Ooh I'd have stayed although I'm possibly far too old for a cougar now ... I'm probably at the GILF stage.
:-bd :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Probably many of you will have seen this but for the benefit of anyone who hasn't;
From Lael's FB: "A momentary truce. Scenes from Brush Mountain Lodge and Clark, Colorado. Josh Kato, Chris Seistrup, Steve Halligan and Nate Ginzton have all been successful in getting over the pass and descending into Clark and Steamboat Springs. Rain, snow and mud soon after have made the road impassable. It’s 16 miles from the lodge to the peak and there’s word the other side of the pass is worse. This group made plans to set out at 3 a.m. this morning in hopes of better conditions, but awoke to snow. Hours later, it’s still snowing. In Clark, Josh Kato told us about looking for shelter near the top of the pass and finding a cave. He quickly kept trudging on when we spotted a cougar inside. This is a Tour Divide for the books."
Last edited by Jurassic on Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Just for context. In 2016 I had to stop in Clark to buy ice cream. :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Looks like two of the Brush Mountain refugees are on the move (Kai Edel and Evan Deutsch). :???:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:53 pm Looks like two of the Brush Mountain refugees are on the move (Kai Edel and Evan Deutsch). :???:
........now looks like they've both turned round and are retreating back. It must be really grim up there! :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Scott M has just posted this:
Quite a turn of events with the weather this year. I've been watching using the 'windy' api mentioned earlier. It just went live on the main TD tracker. Reload the sucker and look for the little flag button to toggle it on/off.

Here's a current shot of the rain/thunder layer, which shows ... snow.

You can drag the bottom slider to go into the future (forecast).
The flag he mentions is in the bar of blue buttons along the top of the map. With me it zoomed over to the UK, presumably using my location, just drag the map back over to the Rockies.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

There are some amazing photos on the Race FB group page. It's mud not snow that's stopping them.
redefined_cycles

Breaking news (I think)... Sofiane has scratched...

That first day of 60 hours of being awake. He must be feeling pretty poorly just about now :o
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:57 pm Breaking news (I think)... Sofiane has scratched...

That first day of 60 hours of being awake. He must be feeling pretty poorly just about now :o
Aside from the fact that he mentioned previously (on here from Fb) that he had not the gear to face such extremes of temps...

Oh wel...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That first day of 60 hours of being awake
They have some long days in Yorkshire :wink:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:19 pm There are some amazing photos on the Race FB group page. It's mud not snow that's stopping them.
Those photos posted by Billy Rice showing the current state of affairs :shock: that is some mud..