Tour Divide 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: Tour Divide 2019

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:29 am I'm informed that Dave has encountered some snow - obviously mixed with very very sunny intervals.

:grin:

"...a dark figure roams the high plains alone, using superpowers of profanity to banish softness and seek out fries..."
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

And seem by this afternoon (our time) JK will be past SS too. Looks like he's sleeping the big softie :grin:
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

They've posted up the singlespeed record too, Alexandera is more than a little bit ahead of it.
Image Image
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Looks like Sofiane has had an issue trying to get over the pass above Brush Mountain Lodge. Navigation in snow in the dark? His tracker shows he missed the path and is now retreating back.

Screenshot_20190622-115652_Chrome.jpg
(47.8 KiB) Downloaded 2207 times
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

wriggles wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:58 am Looks like Sofiane has had an issue trying to get over the pass above Brush Mountain Lodge. Navigation in snow in the dark? His tracker shows he missed the path and is now retreating back.

Screenshot_20190622-115652_Chrome.jpg
That is worrying in those conditions. Hope he’s okay!
liamg

Post by liamg »

Oh dear, looks like he's retreating :sad: He's gone past Josh K now
jameso

Post by jameso »

SS looks to have backed up rather than risk going off route? That section is rough/natural terrain and in the woods, could be one of the hardest places for route finding under the snow. A lot like the Lava Mtn track in places with atricky junction and the descent is rocky. I hope a move similar to the one he made in the Italy Divide hasn't gone wrong for him.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

So Josh K still hasn't reached the point at which Sofiane turned around, would I be right in thinking that point maybe critical? I assume that Josh will have the advantage of daylight in his favour for route finding and may potentially be better able to overcome the difficulties that seemed to have stopped Sofiane in his tracks? It's all very intriguing as a newbie dot watcher/lurker with no knowledge of the local terrain and conditions. :geek:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

As JamesO says. Very rocky terrain. Better in daylight plus Josh has slight home advantage?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:41 am My ex father on law always used to say "only boring people get bored". How true it is, I don't know but maybe it kind of goes hand in hand with
Boredom is mostly a reflection of your state of mind rather than objective truth of something?
I wouldn't say that's apt for Alex tbf. I rode with him in a small bunch for a couple of hours early on in the Dales Divide and had a couple of brief chats. He struck me as being a very easy talker and very "switched on" if you know what I mean. I suspect he's good banter with a few pints inside him.
whitestone wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:13 am Possibly (for Brits) it's that the landscape is so massive. We are used to the whole scenery, fauna and flora changing almost hour by hour when moving around but the States (and most continental areas for that matter) aren't like that.
Wouldn't surprise me if that was very close to the truth. it's what's put me off riding solo on the big rides in the states.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Astonishing effort so far by Dave, Les and anyone else who might be reading this. :-bd :-bd :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

SS just posted: It's all right. I got lost at the top of the col in the middle of the night. Can't find the way in the snow. I had to turn around because the temperature fell under the-5 degrees and that I'm not equipped to face these temperatures.
Via FB.

Go Dave! Hope it's not too cold where you are!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I wouldn't say that's apt for Alex tbf.
No, didn't mean to infer that at all. Simply a comment relating to boredom.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Go Dave!

Hopefully SS will be back on the move soon he's in 5th place now .
They've had lots of snow

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra- ... ssion/300/
Trying to ride bikes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

jameso wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:01 pm SS just posted: It's all right. I got lost at the top of the col in the middle of the night. Can't find the way in the snow. I had to turn around because the temperature fell under the-5 degrees and that I'm not equipped to face these temperatures.
Via FB.
This is obviously a new definition of 'its all right' :shock:
And here was me moaning about the weather we've been having.....
Also Go Dave!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here's a film for ya that you might not have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlrDqnK ... IC84IOEIdg
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:16 pm
I wouldn't say that's apt for Alex tbf.
No, didn't mean to infer that at all. Simply a comment relating to boredom.
In turn, didn't intend for my post to imply that that was your implication. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just copying this from bikepacking.net
Doug Folk on his rookie tour. Day 1 and 2 went well for him, he camped the first night at the base of Koko claims, and night 2 was in Fernie. He and 2 other guys decided to push on late into night three and were doing pretty well up til they got to 'the wall'. While the three of them were working to shuttle their bikes up, Doug fell on his back (he was carrying his bearspray in a jersey pocket) and unknown to him he knocked the safety off.

Once they finally got to the top, he leaned on his bike and fired the spray into his back. I can't even imagine what the shock of that moment must have been like. In the process of getting his jacket, jersey and baselayer off, he smeared the spray across his back and back of his arms, and of course on his hands. I'm not sure at while mile this was, but I know it very early in the morning (1 or 2?).

Fortunately, the burns turned out to be almost all 1st degree, though he did later mention have a couple of blisters.

He couldn't stand to have anything touching his back, so he pushed on shirtless, and of course it was raining, so now the spray got to flow down his back into his chamois! He pushed on all the way to Eureka and got in there at around 5AM. He suffered through the burning in town for a day and tried to clean up his bike and gear (or threw away what he couldn't salvage). He got on the road the following day and is now making steady progress at the back of the pack.

He has a saying that I greatly relished saying back to him when he told me this story:
"If you are going to be stupid, you better be tough!"

I wouldn't necessarily say he's stupid, but holy hell is he tough.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

whitestone wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:03 pm Just copying this from bikepacking.net
Doug Folk on his rookie tour. Day 1 and 2 went well for him, he camped the first night at the base of Koko claims, and night 2 was in Fernie. He and 2 other guys decided to push on late into night three and were doing pretty well up til they got to 'the wall'. While the three of them were working to shuttle their bikes up, Doug fell on his back (he was carrying his bearspray in a jersey pocket) and unknown to him he knocked the safety off.

Once they finally got to the top, he leaned on his bike and fired the spray into his back. I can't even imagine what the shock of that moment must have been like. In the process of getting his jacket, jersey and baselayer off, he smeared the spray across his back and back of his arms, and of course on his hands. I'm not sure at while mile this was, but I know it very early in the morning (1 or 2?).

Fortunately, the burns turned out to be almost all 1st degree, though he did later mention have a couple of blisters.

He couldn't stand to have anything touching his back, so he pushed on shirtless, and of course it was raining, so now the spray got to flow down his back into his chamois! He pushed on all the way to Eureka and got in there at around 5AM. He suffered through the burning in town for a day and tried to clean up his bike and gear (or threw away what he couldn't salvage). He got on the road the following day and is now making steady progress at the back of the pack.

He has a saying that I greatly relished saying back to him when he told me this story:
"If you are going to be stupid, you better be tough!"

I wouldn't necessarily say he's stupid, but holy hell is he tough.
Ouch, ouch and ouch :o

What the hell do they put in bear spray?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

What the hell do they put in bear spray?
Bear spray contains 1–2% capsaicin and related capsaicinoids, the key active ingredients.

So basically chilli oil, and is pretty high on the Scoville scale, like 16,000,000 sort of hot. :o The hottest chillies intended for human consumption get to around 3,000,000 on the Scoville scale but yer usual "hot" chillies are more like 100,000.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

were doing pretty well up til they got to 'the wall'. While the three of them were working to shuttle their bikes up
What does this mean? What is "the wall" and, if they were helping each other, is this not against the rules?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:28 pm Here's a film for ya that you might not have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlrDqnK ... IC84IOEIdg
Hmmm, not sure how to feel about that film.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:43 pm
were doing pretty well up til they got to 'the wall'. While the three of them were working to shuttle their bikes up
What does this mean? What is "the wall" and, if they were helping each other, is this not against the rules?
It seems you've your dose of testosterone :-bd :grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:57 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:43 pm
It seems you've your dose of testosterone :-bd :grin:
Whilst I dont know the details and have never been there. If theres not danger, then helping each other is against the rules and spirit of the ride in my opinion.

A stand out example of this is Alan G DQ'd himself from his own race for using another riders shock pump. He still finished in good form, but DQ'd himself. This stands as a clear line in the sand from someone I respect for me.

As I said though, I dont know the wall personally, or the conditions. If it was dangerous at the time then helping each other is the right thing to do.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Absolutely. Just wondering if it applied in this instance.