Tour Divide 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Tour Divide 2019

Post by redefined_cycles »

looks like we have a new race lead... Randy Niell seems to have overtaken SS (unless I'm mistaken and not comupting correctly) :???:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:41 am looks like we have a new race lead... Randy Niell seems to have overtaken SS (unless I'm mistaken and not comupting correctly) :???:
It looks like he's covered 830 miles in 15 hours between his last 2 points? and his current speed is 27mph, I'm guessing he's in a car and has just turned his spot back on?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:46 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:41 am looks like we have a new race lead... Randy Niell seems to have overtaken SS (unless I'm mistaken and not comupting correctly) :???:
It looks like he's covered 830 miles in 15 hours between his last 2 points? and his current speed is 27mph, I'm guessing he's in a car and has just turned his spot back on?
Aha. Thanks Sean. It was the fact that his spot described him as 'Grand Depart Men' that threw me a little...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not unless he's managed to ride 800 miles in 13hrs :lol: I suspect it's a tracker malfunction. Looking at the leaderboard on trackleaders he's the same time at the last five checkpoints - maybe he's invented a teleporter like in Star Trek :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I looked at the 'race flow' and could see he was a long way behind before his sudden catch up. His history also shows a straight line form mile 413 to where he is now.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

That's 3rd attempt for Randy, he was posting about being I'll in Fernie. I think he packed it in Montana the first time and finished up on hospital after a crash in Idaho on his second try.
redefined_cycles

https://www.dotwatcher.cc/race/tour-divide-2019

Just noted on the DW feed/JKs instagram: seems JK is celiac (I know thats probably not right spelling) and finding gluten free is hard stuff. Makes it all the mlre impressive...

Also we have one TD rider in hospital with breathing difficulties. A pneumonia (in my guesstimate) I would imagine
landel

Post by landel »

Here are a couple of podcasts that I found interesting if you're looking for more Tour Divide entertainment :grin: It's interesting to note the positive attitude of these top competitors. You get the feeling it'd take a lot to stop them, not just in a bikepacking race but life in general. The guy behind The Hidden Athlete Podcast Ross Burrage is actually doing the Tour Divide this year.

https://www.bikepack.ca/podcast2/2019/5 ... an-deutsch

https://www.spreaker.com/user/thehidden ... -josh-kato

https://www.spreaker.com/user/thehidden ... ael-wilcox

https://www.spreaker.com/user/thehidden ... ddor-final
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

wriggles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:52 am Joking aside its a ******* sub standard thing to do as that bear will highly likely look for human food now its had some. Two or three incidents like that and yogi will either be moved (which often doesnt end well) or shot. Plus it brings the race down. A few more incidents like that, and the park authorities might act to restrict the race.
Exactly. Hiking the GDT from Waterton to Mt. Robson I learned a few things about CA's NP management and one was that in most cases they don't deport the bears anymore - they come back all too often and cause trouble again. So they get shot. That's what I meant a few days ago when I wrote that the bears always loose at human encounters.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think one extra item I'd definitely take for the TDR or any other backcountry activity in that area would be a hang line to keep my food up away from the bears.

Tom - I suspect having a bike laden with bikepacking kit might have been a clue to the authorities :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

middleagedmadness wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 am Not really stu crying because you find a hobby or sport hard is pathetic,crying at dealing with illness or disability that's hard is totally different ,bit then I presume most of us on here have had a harder upbringing than people who cry at nonsense
My hero!

It's like the python yorkshireman sketch with bikes on here sometimes. :roll:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

All bar one campsite I went to in CA had bear proof lockers for leaving your food in. If no locker was available then it was recommended that you left food several tens of feet away from your tent in a bear proof bag or container preferably suspended up in the air from a tree.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Yeah
bear-season-2.jpg
(62.01 KiB) Downloaded 1858 times
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Also a good time to refresh awareness of the dangers :-bd

LockUp.jpg
(103.48 KiB) Downloaded 1854 times
jameso

Post by jameso »

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:52 am
middleagedmadness wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 am Not really stu crying because you find a hobby or sport hard is pathetic,crying at dealing with illness or disability that's hard is totally different ,bit then I presume most of us on here have had a harder upbringing than people who cry at nonsense
My hero!

Context of the words sport, hobby or hard maybe. Or why/what can bring someone to tears. I wouldn't describe the experience of a TD, TABR or anything of that duration as a sport or hobby and hard isn't really it. Hard is obvious. What might not be expected is maybe 'deep' or 'profound' or something like that (something I struggle with but you know when something moves you on a new level - and yeah I'm open to the 'pfft get over it' stuff, fair enough) and tears can come from a mixture of happiness and some kind of post-event release. That might sound like navel gazing and I'm sure some people cope with it unemotionally, or simply see themselves as 'crushing the course' or similar BS. We're all wired (weird) differently.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Presumably that ^^ is a Canadian poster? Once you cross over to the States, there's that constitutional right to arm bears.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think mam was simply trying to highlight his concerns over the increasing amount of 'softness' that appears to be infecting some quarters of the populace. Unchecked, it could ultimately leave them somewhat unprepared for lifes many hurdles such as the forthcoming zombie apocalypse or discovering Waitrose have run out of organic hummus. Either way, I don't believe it was a willy-waving contest but a rallying call to arms.

Here's a Whippet wit' flat cap on.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

wriggles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:12 am Yeah

bear-season-2.jpg
One mistake and one missing issue.
Even those who try to be educational get it wrong :roll:

I could cry!
(I would if I wasn't so tough)
:wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

wriggles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:14 am Also a good time to refresh awareness of the dangers :-bd

LockUp.jpg
That's exactly how my Mum see's them :lol:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:46 pm ........One mistake and one missing issue.......
Oh! Please explain?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I had to ask nicely if the chap who bivvied next to me wouldn't mind moving his bike to the other side of the clearing to move his food.

In the night I dreamed that a procession of bears walked past. However, when we got up his bar bag was emptied of food all over the floor. :lol:

I didn't consciously see a bear until New Mexico. Literally the day after I gave my bear spray to a NOBO pair of riders. I crested a hill and saw it face to face up a tree. Luckily my girly scream was more effective than my bear bell. :-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:35 pm
I think mam was simply trying to highlight his concerns over the increasing amount of 'softness' that appears to be infecting some quarters of the populace.
Never judge a man (or snipe at him from behind a computer) until you've ridden 2700 miles in his shoes.

Nothing wrong with a bit of "softness" anyway.
jameso

Post by jameso »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:20 pm Never judge a man ... until you've ridden 2700 miles in his shoes.
I bet he wouldn't want them back afterwards..
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Not sniping ,never ridden anywhere near that far ,but have been a the international level of sports for 15 years out of my life ,have been under severe pressure to produce what's been expected of me and when I failed ( yes another word what's not used these days) I've never felt the need to cry ,but to go back and train harder and better ,sure it's knocked me but not to the extent of crying ,as I said there's definitely things that's happened to me to make me she'd a tear but sports definitely ain't one of them :wink: ,as I said everyone is different
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Never judge a man (or snipe at him from behind a computer) until you've ridden 2700 miles in his shoes.
Yes because even if they don't fit, you'll have a pair of shoes to sell and be too far away for them to do anything about it :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way