TINAT 320A

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianatstanage

TINAT 320A

Post by ianatstanage »

Hi

Anyone planning on doing the TINAT 320A this coming weekend?

Any views on the route?

The gpx is now out and it certainly looks a tough challenge. I’ve put it on Ride with GPS if you have not seen it - https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35754728

The more I look at the route, the more I worry that I won’t finish it within the 39 hour time limit!

Based on my experience last year on the 300 populaire, which had a lot less rough stuff, I will be lucky to to reach Dolgellau by nightfall.

I certainly expect to have lots of type two fun.

Ian
Dyffers

Re: TINAT 320A

Post by Dyffers »

I'm not riding this year but have seen the 320A route (did the 400 straight through last year).

I'm not sure why it's being seen as a lovely weekend with a bivvy overnight, when to me it looks similar in effort to the BB300 - with the exception of a fair bit more tarmac perhaps - and everybody was scared sh****ss of that. The weathermen seem to think the current unsettled heavy showers are continuing through this weekend too.

If you're after a long snooze Sunday morning, I would either hope that the tarmac sections speed it up considerably or plan to abandon the full route before the lanes either side of Hundred House and head direct back to L Wells.

Good luck. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bit of a mixture in there with lots of TCW in the first part and some Big Bear in the last. If it stays wet, some of that is going to be horrible :-bd

I'm also hoping no one gets lost above Llan and finds themselves face to face with 'Texas Bob' and his collection of guns and bigoted views - the tracks quite vague and convoluted up there and it's easy to go wrong. I'll also get the blame if anyone does :roll:

The track that runs to Claerwen reservoir is best avoided - just use the road that runs at the side of it.

Overall, it's a tough looking route. 320km over that terrain in 39 hours will leave little if any room for sleep and even then, it could be tight. Actually, I'm just riding through it in my head now and giggling to myself :wink:

Ooh, and the bridlway out of Corris is likely to cause some issues too. There's reasons why it's never featured in a BB200.

All in all, I can see some broken riders by the end. I reckon those of a road bias are really going to struggle and will likely find themselves pushing for fair chunks of time.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cath and I rode that BW between Corris and Mathafarn in the opposite direction once. Horrid enough riding down :shock:

Interestingly the route also uses this part of last year's BB200 route.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find it slightly odd that folk will que up to ride this but would never consider entering the BB200. Aside from the A road sections, the majority of that route could easily be BB200 (and most will have being in the past) - perception is everything perhaps?

I also feel very sorry for the bloke on fb who said he's riding it on 23's :shock:
chris n

Post by chris n »

ianatstanage wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 am Anyone planning on doing the TINAT 320A this coming weekend?
Yes but no. :smile:

Going to be a bit selective, ride the stuff I want to (and know is rideable) and skip the rest. TIAT (this IS a tour) if you will. :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:23 am I find it slightly odd that folk will que up to ride this but would never consider entering the BB200. Aside from the A road sections, the majority of that route could easily be BB200 (and most will have being in the past) - perception is everything perhaps?

I also feel very sorry for the bloke on fb who said he's riding it on 23's :shock:
Audax innit. Reclassify the BB200 as an Audax and you'll be inundated with weirdos ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

whitestone wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:12 am Cath and I rode that BW between Corris and Mathafarn in the opposite direction once. Horrid enough riding down :shock:

Interestingly the route also uses this part of last year's BB200 route.

:lol: I remember it well, though in normal(ish) weather, the magic log crossing is unnecessary. Quite an experience inching across with the water below and then watching nervously as Javi and Tom crossed. In hindsight, the detour would have been more wise.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Horrid enough riding down" - certainly is, bonkers.

I thought we had an embargo on That Picture :-S :smile: . Love it.

Wonder if organiser has ridden any of the route at all?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Javi

Post by Javi »

I missed the registration time. 2nd attempt to participate and failed. Yes, 320a course.

Good luck. Get really preoared for rain and bad weather.

23 mm tyres? Ouchh!!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Javi wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:58 am I missed the registration time. 2nd attempt to participate and failed. Yes, 320a course.

Good luck. Get really preoared for rain and bad weather.

23 mm tyres? Ouchh!!
They'll be fine. An Italian guy did the whole of Torino Nice on 23mm tyres the year I rode it
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

An Italian guy did the whole of Torino Nice on 23mm tyres the year I rode it
Yes and I recall he looked like he was having a really good time, same as the folks trying to push 52/24 :-bd
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

RIP wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:37 am Wonder if organiser has ridden any of the route at all?
It's James Gillies, yes he has, and I'm sure he'll be along on here shortly.

(And I thought I was moving *up* the weirdness scale going from audax to BB200s... :wink: )
RIP

Post by RIP »

Fair enough, apologies for appearing to dis you there James - some bits do look quite, er, entertaining!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ianatstanage

Post by ianatstanage »

Thanks for all the comments.

Fortunately I do know the area a bit from previous trips and a couple Bearbones winter bivvy events, but your comments have confirmed my concerns (fears), as well as the need of having a plan B (and C).

I can't find Llan on the map, where is it? I'm keen on meeting Texas Bob and maybe having a discussion about Brexit!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Llan is just up the road from Llanbrynmair. The bit of track in question brings you across the tops before dropping you down to a road which takes you to Bont Dolgadfan. Bob owns some land adjacent to the land you'll be riding on, it's easy to stray.

I really hope no one does bump into him. Not only will it spoil their ride, it'll also mean I have to fend off phone call from both Bob and the RoW officer :roll:
chris n

Post by chris n »

Just plotted my alt-route for the 320: 285km, 6300m climbing and much less off-road on the Sunday (ICBA to go through Radnor Forest or Glascwm). No Foel Fadian either. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No Foel Fadian either.
Always thought the descent from the memorial was nicer than Foel Fadian especially since they smoothed it out. Saying that, they've felled the trees on the memorial descent and I've not being down since.
chris n

Post by chris n »

I was planning to whizz down the road, but might take the track from the memorial now you've mentioned it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

was planning to whizz down the road, but might take the track from the memorial now you've mentioned it.
I would, although the road is pleasant enough.

People may be pleased to know that I went to check yesterday and can confirm that a new bridge is now in place, so no need for any Indiana Jones moves here, as per last years BB200.

j.c.gillies

Post by j.c.gillies »

RIP wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:01 pm Fair enough, apologies for appearing to dis you there James - some bits do look quite, er, entertaining!
It took a few days but I'm along now. Been having too much fun riding my bike up the Pennines. You will all pleased to know that we don't have a load of people queuing up to do this ride. 6 I think. If you want to do an off-road ride better do one of Stu's. They are far more fit for purpose. This route has its hand forced by lovely Audax UK regulations around permissive paths, which means we go where you might not otherwise choose.

I'm also very curious to see if anyone finishes the whole route in time. I doubt it, but you never know. Navigation was a little hard when I rode it. I had to go back over the whole gpx track afterwards and redraw the whole thing with a lot more detail because I could just see people wandering around a wind farm in the dark getting lost. I've advised people that if in doubt, trust the gpx, climb the gate, push on over the pathless hillside, and it will take them to where they need to go. There is at least one person riding without a gps and using OS maps. He is also riding on 700x33c. :lol: :lol: :lol: I have tried to tell him. But I'll eat some hog roast if he finished the whole route in time.

On top of that, it's really hilly for the distance. We didn't set out to do that, it just happened. It took me 10hrs to go 100km from Corris, which included the longest section of tarmac. However, I was on my single speed so I did a lot of walking. And that's the 100km with the most awkward navigation and the 100km that's likely to be ridden at night once they realise how far they still have to go and with no service options. Should be fun to see how that works out.

And why did we map this route?...well blame Paul D, he said it would be nice to have something with some more off-road. But I also like to see if we can have an audax with a 0% completion rate.

And who is calling audax weird?
"After hardship comes ease" -Real name James
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

But I also like to see if we can have an audax with a 0% completion rate.
I think you might James :wink:
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

j.c.gillies wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:08 pm And why did we map this route?...well blame Paul D, he said it would be nice to have something with some more off-road.
Sorry I'm not there; three weekends riding or organising events in May were only possible by promising my family I wouldn't ride any weekends in June, so I'm sending Chris n to not finish on my behalf. :wink:
j.c.gillies

Post by j.c.gillies »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:16 am
But I also like to see if we can have an audax with a 0% completion rate.
I think you might James :wink:
I should say that I didn't ride the whole route on my reccie. I missed the odd section off here and there as I had a train to catch. So I really do take my hat off to anyone that finishes the whole thing in time.
j.c.gillies

Post by j.c.gillies »

For information. We had one person finish the 320km. He was cursing us. But he did it 👍