A question of grips

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

A question of grips

Post by redefined_cycles »

So I've rounded it down to the Oury (but although comfy and non-buzzy some reports dont mention them kindly in the wet) or the ESI chunkys...

And thought I'd ask, whats your best grip you've ever found?

Starting now
redefined_cycles

Re: A question of grips

North Shore (ODI i think and Peaty Steve approved... I think) LockOns
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/en- ... _GP_DLRACE

First they came in one diameter and were named Pro Koryak.
Then they changed the name to Dual Lock and provided two diameters, 31 and 33 mm. Also a very minor change on the lock ring design. Now with still the same name and designs they come in 30 and 32 mm.
I don't use the lock at the bar's end and they are rigid enough to do well without.

What I like about them is the right amount of grip with or without gloves and right amount of durability, yet there are stickier grips out there, especially when things are very wet - but such grips make a mess of my hands when its dry and I ride sans gloves.
I hardly get callouses with Pro Dual Lock and for me the thicker versions make quite a difference in arm pump on the long descents we have here in the Alps.
I'm also happy to ride them on all my bikes, from my everyday/offroad touring to my fatbike and my trail bikes. They all see quite different riding, but one grip serves them all.

Nothing fancy, just a well working piece.

Your question reminds me of how few contact points we have; pedals, hands (and saddle when seated, but that's not when the most fun biking is happening - is it..?) from us to the bike. Then from the bike to the ground it's only the tyres.

Well worth giving a few grips a try and see what's best for you.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

I like the Ergon grips, they are very comforable, just the right shape (for me).
GS1 I think they are called.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

For an MTB I’m all about the Ergon’s. Mine are old, don’t remember the exact model but they are the slimmer type with intergrated carbon bar ends.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

The story went as so:

Decided against the OURY and ESI (from charlie bikeMonger so must have summat to em thats good) for reasons mentioned.

Trying to save money (but not ar the cost of getting the best I can) so went for the Ergons mentioned by you Jurassic Pusher. Only £7.50on CRC but delivery was costing another 3 quid. Tried to make up the basket to £9 which used to be free delivery cutoff or recent times! Couldn't find owt.

Asked the Q on here. Went back to CRC as found the single lock Pro similar to what you mentioned (and how you're running the Dual Locks anyway) for the bargain basement price of on £14.50. Tried to pay and then realised they've put up their delivery cut off to £16... Still pretty cheap compared to others.

So to get the free deliveey, I've ordered em both :-bd

Thanks all and can't wait to pluck them cheapo Clarks Lockons (which haven't fared too badly and still looking new) off... :smile: thanks
benp1

Post by benp1 »

ESI on my main MTB

My other MTB had Ergon's but I also had some ESIs for them

Most importantly i'm running bar ends, cane creek ergo ones
jameso

Post by jameso »

Pro Koryak.
Pretty much the best I used on trad MTB bars, have a few sets in a box. Really good grips.

Generally I prefer foam grips on alt bars, applied with 3M spray mount. Grab-On MTN2s are so good, a brilliant material but a bit slim and very rare now. ESI Chunky / Jones ESIs are good. I often end up using Cinelli road tape and just getting the right feel that way, it's a bit of a faff to get right but worth it. For the drop-bar bike, always Cinelli cork tape.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I found that ESI grips can become slippery when wet and they don't last that long either ... probably longer than I imagine but it still seems a short time compared to others.

I like the £1.99 'pretend wood' foam grips PX used to sell.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Shocked that a man of your skills with wood would have owt to do with something called 'pretend wood' :-O

And to save someone else their valuable time, I'll nip in with "at my age that's all I've got now". Ohhh please yourself missus.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster