Orbea occam any experiences

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikerbill

Orbea occam any experiences

Post by fatbikerbill »

Any experiences here?

Quite liking the look of them as an all day or multi day bike.

TR or Am,
Plus or 29er.

Also, do you know if there is any difference between the AM and TR frames or is it just the suspension.
ScotRoutes

Re: Orbea occam any experiences

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have an carbon Occam AM. Couple of years old, so no B plus option.

IIRC there are some geometry differences between the 29 (TR) and the AM (27.5). I also have it in my head that only the TR has B+ compatability?

I certainly like mine. It was bought mainly for trail-centre/mountain days with the intention of using my Ragley hardtail for shorter rides. However, the Occam has been seeing increasing use recently and the Ragley has been neglected.

As for bikepacking with it, I've not tried yet. The frame and suspension layout should permit the use of a frame bag (my Lomo is a pretty good fit).
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oh - I believe the 2019 models are in very short supply now so you might be looking at 2020 models, around Sept this year.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Cheers.

I've emailed them.
The TR in plus mode looks more me I think, but if the frame is the same an AM specced fork might be fun!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Pretty remiss of me not to include at least one photo.

fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

The rear suspension looks like it wouldn't impinge into the triangle too much, so as you say, they look like a frame bag could work well.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yep. The shock is partially enclosed by the top tube.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

I’ve got the occam Tr through the local dealer here in Edinburgh - Pedals Bike Care. Have a relationship with the shop and brand so a little biased. All the same I’ll tell you what I think!

Really like mine, very light frame but still strong and just a nice balanced bike for most types of mountain biking. Mine has done lots of bikepacking rides, group starts, XC marathon stuff and just general riding in the tweed valley and up munroes. In my opinion it’s the ideal bike for events such as the highland trail and Colorado trail or just for the type of riding you’d encounter in those events.

I have a size large with a custom framebag and can fit 1.5 litre camel back bladder with my tools and a few other items in there. Happy to send you some photos via email if you like.

Never ran it with the plus wheels but have ridden it with 29 x2.6 front and 2.5 rear and lots of other permutations. My preference is 2.3/2.4 tyres.

Would definitely recommend this bike.

Orbea are good value for money too compared to most brands though more expensive than the big direct sales players.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I don't have an Occam but I do have a Rallon as my full on trail bike and it's really, really good. On that basis alone I reckon the Occam would be well worth a look.
Sorry I can't be more help but after seeing ScotRoutes picture above it's just too much of a coincidence not to post a pic of my Orbea in exactly the same place as his! :grin:
ImageIMG_20190516_131027_199 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ha ha. Brilliant!
macskive

Post by macskive »

Hello sir.

I went from a fully rigid bike to the occam as my long and multi-day bike and I have been very pleased with it.

I have used it for a few long rides and find that I am much more comfortable on this than I ever was on the rigid bike (stooge ti then Jones Diamond frame with ti truss fork).

One of my reservations about switching to a full suss bike was the difficulty in fitting a frame bag but I got a custom one made by Wee Cog bags in Peebles for a bargain price and it is excellent. Pics here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxFRCsHAadV ... m3s1wrj674

I have the carbon frame version built up with 12 speed eagle and it is ace!

If you happen to stay near Edinburgh, you are welcome to stop by and swing a leg over my large version and to have a chat.

Martin
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Cheers all.

Scott L. Are you somescott on Instagram.
If so. That was me asking and yes that looks very nice.

Love the Orbea photo shoot spot.

Got an email from orbea. The TR and am are the same frames.

I also have in the mix and rode a mates solaris max and that was vaguely exciting.