Bivi Bags

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bivi Bags

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Think he means laying the hunka on the ground and will the damp seep through,which if that's what's meant I wouldn't think so
if that's the case, then you're right Stu, no problem at all.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:15 pm
Do you mean if the mat's wet and you put your mat inside the bag?
I mean if you put both the bag and the mat in the bivvy bag and it gets a bit wet outside...or very...or it had been very wet....
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just been thinking about this thread briefly today and the multiple mentions of the midge nets...

I'm not sure if its just me, but has anyone else noticed that if you stay away from sugar, midges dont bother digging in to you as breakky (or maybe that was just Welsh and Scottish midges). Hence whenever we'd go to midge infested places, I'd make a point of missing out on any sugar for a fair while before and during...

Wonder if they still find blood sweetened with honey as breakfasty :???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I mean if you put both the bag and the mat in the bivvy bag and it gets a bit wet outside...or very...or it had been very wet....
No problem at all. The entire Hunka is made from waterproof material and seams are taped.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:52 am Just been thinking about this thread briefly today and the multiple mentions of the midge nets...

I'm not sure if its just me, but has anyone else noticed that if you stay away from sugar, midges dont bother digging in to you as breakky (or maybe that was just Welsh and Scottish midges). Hence whenever we'd go to midge infested places, I'd make a point of missing out on any sugar for a fair while before and during...

I consume very little sugar of any sort and I'm a midge magnet.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:42 pm
Think he means laying the hunka on the ground and will the damp seep through,which if that's what's meant I wouldn't think so
if that's the case, then you're right Stu, no problem at all.
I wondered if they were talking about condensation inside the bag ie on the underneath of the mat...
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

After reading all through the thread then I think it's a toss up between a 2nd helium or a hunka XL and figure out best way of adding a no seeum net, love my borah ,also love the helium before young fella nicked it ,but a hunka is loved by stu and Mike so maybe a cheap option
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:46 am
No problem at all. The entire Hunka is made from waterproof material and seams are taped.
You've just enabled me to TLS with your information. Thanks mate.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Escape Goat wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:29 pm
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I've messed up the formatting here...

Escape Goat wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:30 pm
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

After reading all through the thread then I think it's a toss up between a 2nd helium or a hunka XL and figure out best way of adding a no seeum net, love my borah ,also love the helium before young fella nicked it ,but a hunka is loved by stu and Mike so maybe a cheap option
I've just received something which might be of interest to those looking for a waterproof / breathable and light (200g) bivvy that won't break the bank. I shall keep you posted.
middleagedmadness

No rush with it stu , I'm not looking to buy till later in the year the borah and tarp is grand for now ,to be fair with a tarp it's good all year but seems I have developed a passion for Bivi bags :shock:
Mart

Post by Mart »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:59 pm
I've just received something which might be of interest to those looking for a waterproof / breathable and light (200g) bivvy that won't break the bank. I shall keep you posted.
Kloke?
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Kloke?
Nope. I think I was down for a review of that but nothing arrived yet.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:21 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:52 am Just been thinking about this thread briefly today and the multiple mentions of the midge nets...

I consume very little sugar of any sort and I'm a midge magnet.
Thats my theory out with the bathwater then... further experimentation on self needed :???:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:59 pm I've just received something which might be of interest to those looking for a waterproof / breathable and light...
...and midge proof bivvy?
#moononastick
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

and midge proof bivvy?
Not as it comes ... but maybe.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

non bivvy owner however surely its ether straight forward to either stick some over the face area with velcro or make large pillow /sack and then slip that over your head and down the bivvy - draw cord it too body. a tie off would probably be of some use over the face area but not essential.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh aye, it's dead easy to make it midge-proof but it's much harder to make it look like something people would part with cash for :wink:
Mart

Post by Mart »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:46 pm non bivvy owner however surely its ether straight forward to either stick some over the face area with velcro or make large pillow /sack and then slip that over your head and down the bivvy - draw cord it too body. a tie off would probably be of some use over the face area but not essential.
I was looking for something like this the other day - know any sources?
2924 miles per Gallon
middleagedmadness

Mart there's loads on eBay was looking myself , 1mx10m was £30, was gonna use one of the cords off my quilt for the bottom
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

you can buy no seeum mesh at £3 per metre and [ will post link when home] so i would just make my own as its going to cost pence and take next to no time - even i can sew that well

Toyed with making my own bug net bivvy * using perhaps tyvek as a base - pretty agricultural but i reckon on costs of about £15 to make one this way

* borah are very light but also very pricey + imports etc
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

https://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/i ... 6809888963

1.5 m wide £3per metre + Vat
36g per sqm

Stu what you need to do is market the "midge pillow" as home storage for lofted sleeping bags that double as your midge net - TLS - though this might be OwnLessStuff
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu what you need to do is market the "midge pillow" as home storage for lofted sleeping bags that double as your midge net - TLS - though this might be OwnLessStuff
O have made something similar previously for my own amusement - if anyone things there's a potential market for a 'Bug Hood' I'l knock some up.