Bivi Bags

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Re: Bivi Bags

Post by Lazarus »

This thread has been useful since I'm bivi curious but can't really decide between the myriad of options. Admittedly it's also given me a few more options just to confuse things
this
or possibly this
The direct translation into English is 'mistake'.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Tom,

Would you care to review and compare those two borah bivvy bags please?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've just gone and bought meself one of these: it's called a mini-mors survival scarf which basically is w@nk for a very long wide and pretty light sleeping bag cover. It's said to be splash resistant and pretty windproof, so Id not use it without a tarp, but for the price it's a gold plated bargain if you just want something to keep the mud and slugs off. Be easy to sew a mesh head cover onto it as well.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/transaction/1626058485

I'm just going outside ...
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

It’s just a shame the new Alpkit one is so small, nearer the Hunka than a Hunka XL size.

Saw one in the flesh in their Ambleside shop the other week, and was tempted, buy as it looked tiny, now gone back to thinking on getting the OR helium instead..
RIP

Post by RIP »

Survival scarf? I'm going mad here. Can you bring to '3L' Tim cos I'd like to see you strangle a lion with it. This is turning into a surreal thread which is brill for summat that basically keeps rain/bugs off :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
FLV

Post by FLV »

Im back in the market for a bivi bag again so this has been useful.

I generally have come to prefer my lunar solo as a good halfway between proper tent and a bivi.

There has been times though where id rather the simplicity of a bivi bag on a single night trip though. Small pack size is also important to me.

However I get destroyed by midge so having a net is a bit of a must for me. Its somewhat limiting, though the terrors arent out all the time I still prefer a net.

I used the standard borah bag for ages and generally used a borah tarp too. If nothing else the tarp catches the dew in the morning.

Ive never found a bivi that ticks all the boxes.
Waterproof, midge net, small pack size. I had an msr one once that was close, perhaps i should have given it a better chance
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If the Rab Ascent doesn't pack small enough for you then how about the Borah Snowyside?
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Does it have a midge net Colin? ,Was looking at the new OR alpine ,now they've dropped the weight to 580 it's a bit more attractive than before but the Rab is £70 cheaper ,looking for a winter bag now I've given the boy my helium
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Aye, the Ascent has a zipped in midge net right around the top. On the current models there's a wee loop for attaching it to a guy line or similar so you can keep it wide open. IIRC the net on the Snowyside is more of a "letterbox" affair.
middleagedmadness

:-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

interesting thread, and thanks for the suggestions

as to tents.....
i have a terra nova solar photon 2
it is very light, compact, fairly quick to pitch, and spacious

however, a bivi is lighter, more compact, instant to pitch
on the dales divide i was wasting ~1hour a day putting up and down the tent
one night i slept in a barn, it was enlightening the time saved.

so, for me, a bivi seems the way to go when speed and weight are a premium over comfort
Scud

Post by Scud »

Like Scotroutes, i really like my Rab one, i have an older model the "Superlight". but the bag itself is a really good size (i've a 48"chest and can roll over happily with air mat inside, unlike Hunka XL where whole thing would roll with me!).

It is Event, so is breathable i find even zipped up and the best part is the guy attachment, so you can open the bag right up so it is doesn't feel claustrophobic or clammy against face.

Not the lightest, but because of the size, i rarely carry a tarp as well, so save weight of that
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Alpit have brought out their new one - called a Kloke. Its an ultralight waterproof and breathable bivvy that sounds perfect til you see that it doesn't have an insect net. Which is a shame, as I would have traded my borah bag in for one otherwise.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/kloke

265g and £120. As big as a Hunka XL apparently.
FLV

Post by FLV »

The dimensions match the hunka, not the xl unfortunately
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Although on paper Kloke appears to be the same size as our Regular Hunka it actually has greater volume. This means it is suitable for a winter bag alongside your sleeping mat. Alpkit Rowan is 6ft 4" and he fits into Kloke just fine.

From their website
FLV

Post by FLV »

Tardis bivi :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I love my Titanium Goat Raven Omni Bivi Bag. It's 229g, packs up very small. takes a full size large x-Therm mat, and has mesh and hood. Very well made and great service from, Mr Goat.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Is it waterproof?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Borderer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:27 pm Is it waterproof?
I've never actually been out in heavy rain with it but in light rain it was fine an I was warm and dry inside it. You will need to do up the hood or get a wet face!! They do a full on wet weather version I believe as well.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ive managed to find an MSR ac bivi online.

Waterproof 10,000hh base, 1,000hh top (so ok for a shower and dew) zip close mossie net but then relys on the overlap to close the rest of it. 420g
Sized in between an hunka and hunka xl

Had an older version whick was fine. This one is discontined too so was on offer.

:-bd
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It looks like the ti-goat business is in some flux - nothing is in stock and you get redirected to another site saying ti-goat products will be sold there shortly
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I think the new company is the owner's son. When I got mine they used to be pretty much made to order. He happened to have a cancelled custom one when I emailed him so I bought that. It's dark green on the bottom and light green on the tp not that horrible purple. I'd drop them an email and ask if they are still making them. It arrived in about five days from the states and had no duty on it.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Can I jump on this thread and ask, if I was to use my hunka XL without a ground sheet and a neo air xlite...if it's damp, will that be an issue?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

if I was to use my hunka XL without a ground sheet and a neo air xlite...if it's damp, will that be an issue?
Do you mean if the mat's wet and you put your mat inside the bag? Or something else?
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:15 pm
if I was to use my hunka XL without a ground sheet and a neo air xlite...if it's damp, will that be an issue?
Do you mean if the mat's wet and you put your mat inside the bag? Or something else?
Think he means laying the hunka on the ground and will the damp seep through,which if that's what's meant I wouldn't think so