El an Back

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

99percentchimp

Re: El an Back

Post by 99percentchimp »

Looks great and really sorry to miss this this year. Might be down later in the week for crack at my planned route... was it really icy on the roads 'cos it looks like it might get that was this week? Thanks for the photos - look's like some fantastic skies all weekend. Cheers, Mark
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Slacker wrote:our only problem was the Mid Wales Inn at St Harmon. They took us hostage, made us eat, drink and be merry , kept us overnight and did not let us leave until they had fed us a full english breakfast in the morning. (sorry Stu ,they made us honest).
That made me chuckle!

Some stunning photos people.
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

My first go at an overnighter and I had a great couple of days. Didn't get very far and not very much off road due to mechanical issues (lack of maintenance :oops: ) but found a nice spot for the night overlooking Llyn Clywedog with a wonderful view in the morning. Also good to put a few faces to names.
Thanks for organising this and yes the cake was great.

Dawn over Llyn Clywedog by crewlie, on Flickr
Jan 12th. El and Back by crewlie, on Flickr
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I ended up riding with Chew to get in practice for a longer, and hopefully warmer, trip we have planned in the summer.

About 94km on Saturday as we could not find our preferred bivvy spot. Rode until 10pm and just had a ride through Hafren on Sunday. Roads had a few spots of ice but not bad really. Riding up Cwmystwyth Valley on Saturday was hard going into a strong wind.
Thanks to Stu and Dee for organising, the goodies and the excellent cake.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Well, we didn't get much passed LLandlioes, mainly due to poor map reading skills on the first leg that took us over mountains and through bogs for several miles before spitting us out on the Pennant road, three miles from the start and almost opposite Stu & Dees' house, and completely missing any checkpoints :?

I don't know how cold it was overnight but my Sudocream had practicaly frozen as well as my waterbottles. Anyway, nice to meet a few new people as well as the regular crew. Cheers to Stuart & Dee for the tea & toast, cakes, and the event itself, and sorry that some people were cruely denied the chance to actually sleep out due to finding themselves 'locked' in a bothy overnight ;-)

DSCN0986 by Slugwash, on Flickr

DSCN1027 by Slugwash, on Flickr

DSCN0992 by Slugwash, on Flickr
ton

Post by ton »

gutted that i had to drop out of this........sounds like you all had a great time.
please keep the reports and photo's coming guys.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Another first timer here, very cold but very enjoyable. Especially when describing it over coffee this morning at work! :lol:

A few lessons learned about what to take and what not to for when we go again. A big thumbs up to Stu & Dee for organising this and the essential supplies. The Buff was a lifesaver when up top! A slightly ambitious, and or poor route choice meant very slow progress to begin with but we were determined to make it to Pont Ar Elan. Eventually put the tent up at midnight near the river at Nannerth.

A few photos to sum up the ride:

Not a track you can sprint along:

Admiring the view with a cuppa and a bite to eat at Pont Ar Elan

Amazing sunset leaving Hafren Forest:

Whats the weight limit on your rack George....
FLV

Post by FLV »

Johnny, was that you guys I saw as was going into hafren then? you were hanging out map checking by the wall I was riding the black scott. Good effort trucking on well into the night mate.

I had a good time all in. Found some stuff worked well, other stuff not so much.
Also found several marked bridleways in mid wales are no more than rights of way and such, pants to ride on.

Nice solitary riding for me but really good to bump info freindly faces along the way too.

Nice to meet those of you I met. See you next time.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Hi FLV! Yeah, that was us modifying our route after having the same experience as you, marked routes didn't always translate to anything approaching a path!

We made the mistake of taking the track just off the bridge and not going up the road. It involved a couple of stream crossings & portage over a fence. :roll:

Thanks to everyone who warned us of the massive hill up/down to Pont Ar Élan. Not that we listened anyway!
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

faddyvictor wrote:Image
I don't suppose that Kermit was on long pole at the Latitude Festival in 2011, was he? If he was, I have a picture with him!

Surely there's only one Kermit who is partial to having a few pictures taken..?
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
faddyvictor

Post by faddyvictor »

InspiredRamblings wrote:
faddyvictor wrote:Image
I don't suppose that Kermit was on long pole at the Latitude Festival in 2011, was he? If he was, I have a picture with him!

Surely there's only one Kermit who is partial to having a few pictures taken..?
Kermit, he found his way into Shanes rucksack by way of his daughter Skye, who has a heart pacemaker fitted.
The op was carried out at Birmingham Childrens Hospital, and because we all work on recycling crews we collected thousands of tokens off the Cravendale milk, claimed the kermits, gave some to the lads at work with kids and sent the rest to ward 12 at the hospital. Kermit will now accompany us on all wild camping trips and will be seen at the WRT probably wearing waterproofs.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

and will be seen at the WRT probably wearing waterproofs.
:D

Good effort on collecting the tokens/donating the frogs.
May the bridges you burn light your way
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

s8tannorm wrote:

vaguely exciting Will they be custom made, Kermit sized, waterproofs?
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
faddyvictor

Post by faddyvictor »

s8tannorm wrote:

Cheers Stu :)
FLV

Post by FLV »

better late than never, heres a snap or two

Dusza

Post by Dusza »

Sure looks like some grand days out! Great pictures guys. Makes me even more sorry I couldn't participate... stupid flu :evil: