Those SOL bivvy bag things

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Those SOL bivvy bag things

Post by ScotRoutes »

Juts looking for some feedback really. I'm wondering if they are any good for those very long day rides where you might just want to curl up by the track for 30 mins or an hour, maybe even just as a bit of contingency. A bit better than a plastic bag? Do they fold/roll/scrunch up very small again or do they, once used, take up too much space?
whitestone

Re: Those SOL bivvy bag things

Post by whitestone »

They are basically foil backed Tyvek. I've one and it's a bit short for me (1.80m) which seems a common complaint. I've used it for Audax style bivvies, basically power naps where it's better than nowt. More breathable than the plastic bag but don't expect Goretex levels of performance.

It's not like a blizzard bag that is impossible to get back to the same size once you've opened it, it will go back in its supplied bag.

Drop me a PM with your address and you can borrow it to try out.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I did wonder on this aswell some time ago after seeing it in the kit list of many of the writeups (Sean and Bob I think)... Is there any real benefit of it over a BorahBivy which is around 70g heavier and pretty collapsible??
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:40 pm I did wonder on this aswell some time ago after seeing it in the kit list of many of the writeups (Sean and Bob I think)... Is there any real benefit of it over a BorahBivy which is around 70g heavier and pretty collapsible??
Will have to check on the volume of each but I don’t think there’s much between the two.

The SOL is more waterproof than the Borah but there’s no way to seal it up to keep the midges out, it’s more like the Alpkit Hunka in that regard.

Note there’s two weights of SOL bivvies, I’ve got the heavier one
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mine's an Adventure Medical Kits Heatsheets Emergency Bivi. It weighs 110g and is 60mm dia x 80mm tall packed up. I've never slept in it. I only have it for emergencies when I've planned to ride through but might need shelter in an emergency. I wouldn't plan to use it for a bivi as I think it would be pretty miserable but it would keep you alive which is the point.

The SOL ones which are breathable would be usable for a planned bivi and I've read of people using them in races, albeit in the States maybe and not Scotland :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:32 pm They are basically foil backed Tyvek. I've one and it's a bit short for me (1.80m) which seems a common complaint. I've used it for Audax style bivvies, basically power naps where it's better than nowt. More breathable than the plastic bag but don't expect Goretex levels of performance.

It's not like a blizzard bag that is impossible to get back to the same size once you've opened it, it will go back in its supplied bag.

Drop me a PM with your address and you can borrow it to try out.
Seems like you've used it for the same sort of thing I'm thinking of. Thanks for the offer too. I'll have a wee ponder :-bd
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I rate the Sol bivvy bags, I have used the Escape version for races where I don't expect to be sleeping out in bad weather.
I have slept out in the US fully clothed and a down gilet and was OK down to freezing temps.
Their are three versions Lite 154g, Escape 238g and Pro 230g, the Pro has a drawstring top and zip but is expensive and I haven't tried this version so can't say if the additional items are worth the extra cost.
The use I like best for the Escape version is to uprate my 3 season sleeping bag for winter use, the blurb says it adds 15F and in use I would say that's about right.
I am 5'10" and find it OK but it may well be short for someone over 6'.
I purchased a second one so I must have liked the first one :wink:

Looks like the Escape may now have a zip since I purchased mine ?
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Just to add a bit of confusion: I use the SOL Emergency for the same use as Bob and Sean.
It’s pretty tiny and light. Slightly stretchy foilised plastic laminate material. I’ve dossed in it - clothed in summer - and it wasn’t an awful experience.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

their own videos show people in the bivvy bag inside their sleeping bag [when using for warmth] is that what you folk do ?

Seems a nice easy light weight to make my teeny tiny summer bag be usable in spring and autum - could ditch the tent inner so no actual weight penalty.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve not used mine like that. Mine is mostly used to replace a trad survival bag. It’s a just in case option for me. Slept in it just fine when I did use it on the Kernow 600 audax a few years back on a warm may night.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Lazarus wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:49 pm their own videos show people in the bivvy bag inside their sleeping bag [when using for warmth] is that what you folk do ?

Seems a nice easy light weight to make my teeny tiny summer bag be usable in spring and autum - could ditch the tent inner so no actual weight penalty.
It could be useful as a vapour barrier layer to protect a down bag. I’ve got one but have never used it beyond carrying it just in case. I’ve also got a circa 500g down bag and bivi combo which would be much more comfortable so it tends to get used instead for intentional bivis.
drjon

Post by drjon »

I used one as a vbl in a bag a few years ago. because its so moist here generally (maritime? ha! ... the fort bill footage and HTR footage....another Scottish summer classic! wry smile...) it was a very soggy night. the science behind vbl is interesting but after riding, not having time to fully dry out due to midge, then it being high humidity I struggled with it. I think the 'ratios' don't tend to play in your favour in the uk and certainly more than one night would be likely to give you a rash...or worse....
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

This thread reminds me (sorry if I'm going off at a tangent)...

On a recent week-long trip I mainly used my Lunar Solo, but took my spare bivvy bag (a basic Trekmates one I picked up in TK Maxx of all places for I think £13) in case of the need for a stealth bivvy or lack of tent sized flat ground. I'm glad I did because the one really nice clear warm night I got I was able to sleep out rather than hide in a tent.

It's not very breathable but only weighs about 270g, so is justifiable as a backup over my Hunka XL.

Question is, is there anything more breathable for the weight, without spending silly money?

Also, this could be an alternative to the above, although possibly the same price/breathability.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I have the Sol escape and I've put a zip in it so it can be used as a blanket under or over a summer bag as well as its intended emergency use.

I'd say its good for up-rating a bag as a blanket, but not if you're wet and sweaty when you get in, or you'll wake up colder and wetter like I did once :cry: It was a very cold damp March in Scotland though and there was probably a lack of food too.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I've got the very lightest/small version. I've used it once on a very cold night and it is not breathable so was pretty clamy the next day. I'd only use this when I really had to tbh.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think it's only the more expensive ones that breath Dave.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

the escape ones are all breathable and start at £50[ no zip or pull cord for hood so really for under a tarp]
this seems exceptionally good value for a waterproof breathable bivvy that will warm you[if it works]
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I found the lite version for £32 yesterday.

https://www.speck-sports.com/en/sleepin ... icQAvD_BwE
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

OK. Here's a quick comparison of the SOL Escape bivy bag with the Borah Gear Ultralight bivy (the Silnylon/Argon version).

Here's the SOL laid on top of the Borah to show their relative sizes.

This is the SOL in its stuff sack next to a 500ml water bottle for size comparison

The sack is 18cm tall and will squash to ~12cm. I put the Borah Gear bag in to the SOL stuff sack and under compression it will squash down to ~6cm tall so roughly half the volume. The SOL weighs 240g and the Borah Gear 170g.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

looks like my shopping list has just grown by 2 items & NO, I am OK for waterbottles.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Very cool. Thank you.
I'm assuming that the SOL offers a wee bit more insulation on account of the foil too.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Appreciate that post and comparison and still dithering on one - mainly due to the "how much warmer" it will make me
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thanks for that. Looks like the Escape fits the bill for the situation I described in my previous post, and the cost is justifiable for that I think.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'd say that the SOL is warmer than the Borah (or similar bag) but by how much is hard to estimate. @Chickenlegs reckons the claimed 7C/15F is about right when using it to boost a sleeping bag but when used by itself or with a light jacket you are just relying on the radiant heat being reflected which is the lowest loss anyway. When used with a sleeping bag you are getting an extra layer of air between the SOL and the bag which will add some insulation. Getting a boost of 7C for 240g isn't far off the 8C for 200g of down you'd get going from something like the Cumulus 150 to 350 quilts.

The last time I used mine was on the YD300 dossing down in a waiting room at Ribblehead station with just whatever mats were around to insulate me from the floor. So Audax hotel use would be fine :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

whitestone wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:49 am I'd say that the SOL is warmer than the Borah (or similar bag) but by how much is hard to estimate. @Chickenlegs reckons the claimed 7C/15F is about right when using it to boost a sleeping bag but when used by itself or with a light jacket you are just relying on the radiant heat being reflected which is the lowest loss anyway. When used with a sleeping bag you are getting an extra layer of air between the SOL and the bag which will add some insulation. Getting a boost of 7C for 240g isn't far off the 8C for 200g of down you'd get going from something like the Cumulus 150 to 350 quilts.

The last time I used mine was on the YD300 dossing down in a waiting room at Ribblehead station with just whatever mats were around to insulate me from the floor. So Audax hotel use would be fine :lol:
I would imagine the biggest effect the bivvy bag is going to have is reducing the effect of the wind, much like putting on a wind/waterproof shell in a gale makes you massively warmer despite having almost no insulation. As such it would depend strongly on how much wind, how exposed you are to it, how much space there is between it and the sleeping bag inside, etc. So I think putting a single figure on it might be a bit over-simplistic. I'm not an expert though (who needs them anyway? :wink: ).