I'll leave this here for Stu.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: I'll leave this here for Stu.

Post by RIP »

"And that concludes the case against the accused" :smile: . The defence team might plead mitigating circumstances for an 'ironic dangle' of course, which would be perfectly reasonable.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Never understood the "dangle" whether you dress to the right or left surley it still gets full of sheep sh1te
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm telling ya, we need Bearbones mugs!!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Look, stobbit you lot going round looking for trouble, I'm getting hooked now! Here's another:

https://www.velome.co.uk/lifestyle/the- ... checklist/

Check out the axe for 'collecting' firewood :smile: (again, might be an ironic photo). But she looks like a perfectly pleasant young lady enjoying herself in the outdoors so stop being old curmudgeons. Says the old curmudgeon. What I'm noticing though is a preponderance now of 'blogs' (whatever they might be) appearing to be aimed at helping rookie bikepackers but turn out to be written by... rookie bikepackers. It all then starts to look like Viz Top Tips - "taking along a mug is a good way to keep hot liquids contained while you drink them" etc. I suppose it's sort of helping newbies dip their toes in the water but there's some curious interpretations out there.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What I'm noticing though is a preponderance now of 'blogs' (whatever they might be) appearing to be aimed at helping rookie bikepackers but turn out to be written by... rookie bikepackers. It all then starts to look like Viz Top Tips - "taking along a mug is a good way to keep hot liquids contained while you drink them" etc. I suppose it's sort of helping newbies dip their toes in the water but there's some curious interpretations out there.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Check out the axe for 'collecting' firewood
Bloody hell, I'd not be within 20 yards of her when she's swinging that axe :wink: The axe I use for splitting bow staves isn't that big.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

What I'm noticing though is a preponderance now of 'blogs' (whatever they might be) appearing to be aimed at helping rookie bikepackers but turn out to be written by... rookie bikepackers. It all then starts to look like Viz Top Tips - "taking along a mug is a good way to keep hot liquids contained while you drink them" etc. I suppose it's sort of helping newbies dip their toes in the water but there's some curious interpretations out there.
I have a blog and a couple of pages do exactly that. I'm on various social media enough that I've seen countless requests from newbies and reckon it's just easier to point them at a page than repeat it all time after time.

Of course, things change. I learn stuff, try new stuff, new stuff is available. By the time most folk have reached that stage they no longer need hands held so much.

Lots of folk just recommend coming onto this forum but without knowing what you need to ask it can be hard finding the answers.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

[cynic] you sure its not just part of the internet generation where people make their ordinary lives look like its full of adventure and its largely for show/ looking cool.

That said that just read like a relatively new cyclists passing on her love for the sport . It was a little lightweigh but otherwise fine IMHO.
Our great overlord needs to pay attention to this advice for the routes he organises
so it’s important to be realistic about the route you want to ride
the fire advice seemed fine to me
Before you go lighting a campfire, make sure you’re allowed to do so. Most forest areas are protected, and fires are forbidden. If you’re camping at a campsite, or in a farmer’s field, check with the people in charge first. If you’re planning on making a fire, then a small axe may be ideal for gathering wood, but not necessary.
An axe is a really poor device for gathering wood, I find my hands to perfectly adequate for this task, and a wheelbarrow would be more useful and just as impractical
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

agree with scots blogs can be useful he has a decent one on what he takes which i think is the main issue for those who go for the first time - how much stuff do you need to take - we all took too much I assume - me food STILL. Just terrified of running out* and I always return with food - not sure if this is a sensible precaution that prepares me for the worst or is just a pointless weight penalty

* vegan so I cannot just assume i can rock up somewhere and get a meal ,getting much better thanks hipsters/flexitarians, or even decent supplies - biccies and plain crisps are the only certainties in a garage for example [ and the former is not guaranteed]
Last edited by Lazarus on Thu May 30, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I do notice that some blogs seem to be little more than thinly disguised product placing opportunities with very little actual advice or information, aside from the very obvious things like, you'll need a bike and maybe a tent.
RIP

Post by RIP »

No problem with helpful blogs and group hugs, just sayin' some of the interpretations are curious.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

is that not the new phenomenon of "influencers" being given products to basically advertise for the company

Hence we see those idealised pictures of fires and marshmallows and dangling mugs and all that stuff that looks good on a pic but its useless on the trail
jameso

Post by jameso »

[cynic] you sure its not just part of the internet generation where people make their ordinary lives look like its full of adventure and its largely for show/ looking cool.
A bit cynical, yeah :smile: Perception could be said to suggest more about the perceiver than the perceived ... or something like that. And no generation is fundamentally different to the one before it, all this stuff about 'millennials are /do/expect blah' in marketing etc is BS. Younger people just grew up with social media as a norm rather than an option. That probably makes this site or forums 'Instagram for the old' :grin:

Forgive anyone a bit of naivety in the keen-ness to share something they're excited by. It's positive stuff and I'd hope that experience can be shared both ways without judging other aspects or styles etc, or some more experienced types coming across as the dull old-guard that gets rejected or ignored.
Last edited by jameso on Thu May 30, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

is that not the new phenomenon of "influencers" being given products to basically advertise for the company
Not really new in this world, bike and outdoor mags were (are) basically given free kit for long periods to get brand exposure 15 or more years ago that I know of. The format is the same, the media's changed a little that's all. Arguably the older gen of bike testers had better experience (Steve Worland for example) but the blogger/influencer thing is more open. You decide if their work is good or why they have followers and base credibility on that, I suppose.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oi and turn that bloody noise down. :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hey, if Apidura had been throwing free kit my way, I might have hash tagged them in a few times too.

Still, I believe their loss-leader/free advertising thing worked and they're actually now making a profit.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not really new in this world, bike and outdoor mags were (are) basically given free kit for long periods to get brand exposure 15 or more years ago that I know of. The format is the same, the media's changed a little that's all. Arguably the older gen of bike testers had better experience (Steve Worland for example) but the blogger/influencer thing is more open. You decide if their work is good or why they have followers and base credibility on that, I suppose.
You're right, there's nothing new about it ... but some seem less than subtle with little substance. Personally, that removes any real credibility from what people are saying. If someone gives you some kit then in my mind, you still need to be objective about it, otherwise you've simply become someones brand whore to be bought and sold.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ true..
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I've been lucky enough to receive some free kit over the last few years, from bags (yes Apidura ;) ) and bags from a few others too, an vaguely exciting bike and some other bits and bobs. TBH if any of it is crap then I won't use it, if its ace (imo) then yes I'll use it and plug it for them on the net in whatever way I see fit.
Suppose its the way the advertising market has gone, its easy for the brands to dish out gear and leave it the masses to advertise but as we've seen some peeps needs a heads up on how to plug the whole bikepacking thing.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I dont see anything wrong with using and honestly reviewing free kit
What is wrong is using an advertorial as if it is an honest test of kit

Feel cheated though as i bought my apidura bag - happy to praise for a free frame bag :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I dont see anything wrong with using and honestly reviewing free kit
Nothing wrong with that at all.
What is wrong is using an advertorial as if it is an honest test of kit
That was my point about needing to remain objective.

I'm sure I've said this before but if I'm given something to test / review and it turns out to be poor, I won't simply write a review and say "it's crap" because that doesn't help the company or the consumer. Instead, I contact the company and suggest alterations or whatever. If nothing comes from that then I just don't publish a review.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Forgive anyone a bit of naivety in the keen-ness to share something they're excited by." - you're absolutely right of course James, glad we've got you to keep the classroom in order :smile: .

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

middleagedmadness wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:17 am Never understood the "dangle" whether you dress to the right or left surley it still gets full of sheep sh1te
I blame walkers and runners for the dangle. Did a distance walk last month and all the walkers had mugs dangling on the outside of their bags. It was even on the required kit list :shock:

I turned up for kit check in and the girl only just let me do the walk with a soft flask. Mind boggling stuff! She explained that the checkpoints have water and you NEED a mug for this
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

A good few years back me and the daughter were climbing at the upper tier tramadog when all you could here was something that sounded like a steel band ,all of a sudden a youngfella appears over the brow of the hill with a massive pack but various mugs ,a large trangia stove and metal water bottles strapped to the outside, I asked him if he was out for a few weeks ,but he answered "oh no just a quick night out" :shock:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:59 am
Bloody hell, I'd not be within 20 yards of her when she's swinging that axe :wink: The axe I use for splitting bow staves isn't that big.
Nor would I. I don't think she's ever used an axe in her life looking at that picture. Accident waiting to happen.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:08 pm
middleagedmadness wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:17 am Never understood the "dangle" whether you dress to the right or left surley it still gets full of sheep sh1te
I blame walkers and runners for the dangle. Did a distance walk last month and all the walkers had mugs dangling on the outside of their bags. It was even on the required kit list :shock:

I turned up for kit check in and the girl only just let me do the walk with a soft flask. Mind boggling stuff! She explained that the checkpoints have water and you NEED a mug for this
On LDWA events they have their mugs on the outside, usually on an elastic tether, so when you get to the checkpoints you don't have to open your rucksack to get your mug out to have a drink.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry