train questions for tuscany trail vets

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

train questions for tuscany trail vets

Post by FLV »

Hi,

A few questions for the previous Tuscany trail vets please that have used the trains?

Supposing i arrive in the airport, unpack my bike and leave a folded box with left luggage

Do I need any sort of special labelling for the box?
Will I be able to take a fully assembled bike on the train to Massa?

Once I reach the finish, same question. Is it ok to take a fully assembled bike on the train to the airport?

I read somewhere that its not allowed to take un boxed bikes on the national trains

Would it be more advisable to lug the bike around in the box / bag to Massa and get the box / bag transported to Capalbio?

thanks in advance :grin:
Taylor

Re: train questions for tuscany trail vets

Post by Taylor »

iirc the slow trains will take a bike in bike form no problem it's just the express trains that have the issue.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Just back from Italy divide and have done TT before so can help a bit are u flying into Pisa? I cycled to Massa 2 years ago its not that far. So bin the box. cycle there or get slow train. Then take train from capalbio to pisa at finish and there is a really decent bike shop in pisa that gave me a box and tape for free.
I got on a national train this year with my bike unboxed and the guard said they would be throwing me of at the next stop. Lucky for me thats where i was getting off anyway. She did fine me €10 for the pleasure!!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

You might struggle to leave a bike box at the airport left luggage, although you should have a better chance at Pisa train station.

You shouldn't need any special labels.

We've never had any problems with our bikes on the trains, apart from finding space, as there's plenty of other riders trying the do the same & it can be pretty chaotic! This could change though as literally hundreds of cyclists & their bikes getting on the train obviously causes a problem with the normal passengers..

There's a new transfer train from Pisa airport to the train station, think it was 1.5Euro.

2016 i left my bike boxed until Massa, then had it transfered to the finish. Tbh it was a right pain to drag around.
Last year we left the boxes at Pisa train station left luggage & did all our riding from there. Although i did take a duffle bag thingy that i had transfered to the finish (think it was about 30Euro). But we had a couple of extra nights at the end before heading home, one in Albinia & another one in Lucca.

If it's the same route as last year the campsite after Vinci made a good finish to the first day, the restaurants slightly off route at Buonconvento are worth a visit & the hostel at Radiconfani is cheap as chips.
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Pisa yes.

Sounds like left luggage at the train station is the best for my cardboard box or go beg for a new one is ideal.

Wotsits, i have experience of dragging boxes / bags around. I really dont like it, its a massive pain in the backside.

Ill go speak to them in the airport (I have zero italian language) and then unbox the bike. Or if thats too difficult ill try the train station.

Ill have 5 hours to get to massa before the briefing so slow train should be ok. If i can work out which one that is....

Thanks for the info chaps

Oh, one more. Is the left luggage easy enough to find?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Easy enough. You go downstairs to the main platform and keep walking to the end furthest from McDonalds. It's just off the platform in its own little building.

They might take your box at the airport, but the guys behind the desk there were very hard work when we tried. :lol:

I rode to Massa from Pisa too. Completely flat and pretty pleasant, mostly along the seafront.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1610622818

edit - zoom in on the start of that and that's where left luggage at the station is.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Brilliant, thankyou very much.

Ill nick that gpx i think as a just in case i have trouble with trains
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

What ^ In Reverse said, it's at the far end on the station..

Airport left luggage to also at the opposite end to where the train departs.

Last year there was loads of people building up their bikes at the front of the airport :cool:

Another thing worth checking is opening hours of the left luggage you use & the train times from the finish at Capalibio to Pisa.

Don't forget to stamp your ticket in the machine before boarding the train..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
gairym

Post by gairym »

You can take a bike on the Regionale and Reginale Velocity trains.

Train info can be found at:

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

The list of trains shows the type of train and so just choose one that'll take your bike - simples!

See you there (hopefully!).