Rear Rack a Retrograde Step?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Rear Rack a Retrograde Step?

Post by Ray Young »

I've fitted one of those mini alloy front racks to the rear of my bike as a bit of an experiment. It came from China for all of £6 inc postage so if it doesn't work it's no big deal.
But why, I know you are asking. Well, I have one of the old Alpkit style seatpacks and not only can I never seem to do it up tight enough to stop it swaying I find it fiddly and time consuming to do up and filling the tapered end is a pain. I've also tried the Alpkit tapered drybag on its own after seeing Blair of this parish have success with one but again i can never get it to stop swaying and it's no less time consuming to fit than the seatpack proper. They also claim it to be 13 litres but I think it's quite a bit less than that. So a small rack on the back that I can put an 8 litre Alpkit drybag on with minimal fuss and easy packing. So what's people's thoughts?
Image[/url]IMG_20190524_172812538 by Raymond Young, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20190524_172629016 by Raymond Young, on Flickr
Jurassic

Re: Rear Rack a Retrograde Step?

Post by Jurassic »

I'm struggling to see any real negatives with this idea (other than the small additional weight). I too have a "swinging" Alpkit 1st gen seat pack and have been considering ways to improve it. The fact that Alpkit themselves have developed that sticky outy metal thing that clamps into your seat post is testament to the problem. I think this mini rack would be a better alternative for my usage. Nice one Ray. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The only thing that would put me off is the use of P clips ... and what looks like duct tape. Otherise, can't see an issue :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:50 pm The only thing that would put me off is the use of P clips ... and what looks like duct tape. Otherise, can't see an issue :wink:
I thought that the duct tape gave added character to the bike. :lol: Not keen on P clips either but neither do I fancy a big metal loop sticking out the back of my seat when I'm not using my seatpack.
techno

Post by techno »

Ray, have you got a link to where you bought that rack? Ta.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

A quick search reveals lots of front mini racks that look very similar (albeit the brackets may require modification).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Durable-M ... Sw7aNckGaI
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

what does the rack weigh?
A bag is about 4006 and a dry bag about 50-100

I am not sure there will be much weight penalty here tbh
Would also be a good fit for a dropper - if you could clamp under the stanchion obviously
Also interested in a link as an interesting solution
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I used petrol pipe clips over some gorilla tape to protect the frame rather than p clips. The front is attached with a length of cut down inner tube then a small zip tie to hold it in place.
Sorry but I didn't weigh it or keep the emails about whom I bought it from but it came from Amazon. There's quite a few sellers including on ebay.
Regarding a dropper post, if you move the front of the rack down it hits the tyre. At first I had the front part of the rack in front of the seat post resting on the collar ( I had to cut a hole in the rack platform for the seat post to pass through) so it didn't hit the tyre but found the back of your legs hit the rack.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Or get a bag that doesn't sway and so can be used on a number of bikes. :wink:

PS: I do use a rack on the fatbike for winter trips as I can then pack a bigger/warmer sleeping bag.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:40 am Or get a bag that doesn't sway and so can be used on a number of bikes. :wink:

PS: I do use a rack on the fatbike for winter trips as I can then pack a bigger/warmer sleeping bag.
I only have one bike and I'm on a limited budget so a £6 rack is by far cheaper than a seat pack and remember, less faff.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Looks ok. Only issue i can see is if your legs touch it riding, i think mine would. But i am stout of thigh :grin:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

FLV wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:06 am Looks ok. Only issue i can see is if your legs touch it riding, i think mine would. But i am stout of thigh :grin:
No, legs don't touch. I use Alpkit drybags which are oval shaped so I can mount an 8 litre one fine but the 13 litre one can't be mounted flat as it does then touch my legs. Mounted the other way is ok but then I think it's more likely moove.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Sounds a good solution then. :-bd
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

You are not alone, I've often thought a small rack and dry bag would be less faff...though I only have an old bikepack.eu saddlebag so I guess there are much better options out there now.

I was always waiting for Salsa to re release the minimalist rack but they never have.

I could not cope with jubilee clips and zip ties to mount a rack though!
techno

Post by techno »

restlessshawn wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:18 am You are not alone, I've often thought a small rack and dry bag would be less faff...though I only have an old bikepack.eu saddlebag so I guess there are much better options out there now.

I was always waiting for Salsa to re release the minimalist rack but they never have.

I could not cope with jubilee clips and zip ties to mount a rack though!
PDW bindle is the boutique version of this, looks like a quality item:
https://ridepdw.com/products/bindle-rac ... 4752815937
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

restlessshawn wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:18 am I could not cope with jubilee clips and zip ties to mount a rack though!
That your OCD Shawn? :wink:

I have successfully used p clips with rack and panniers off road in the days of old before we knew how to do it better. The only time I had a problem was when a rack strut broke. I splinted it with a v tent peg and it held till I got home. I'm not bothered about using the petrol pipe clips to hold the rack to the seat stay but I am looking for an alternative to the mount on the seat tube.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

techno mail wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:46 am PDW bindle is the boutique version of this, looks like a quality item:
https://ridepdw.com/products/bindle-rac ... 4752815937
$118, no thanks, I spent a tenner.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

was always waiting for Salsa to re release the minimalist rack but they never have.
I'm surprised they never brought it back given the popularity of gravel. I remember that they did recall them but mine was always fine.
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Ray Young wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:52 am
restlessshawn wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:18 am I could not cope with jubilee clips and zip ties to mount a rack though!
That your OCD Shawn? :wink:
Basically yeah!

The bindle looks quite different as you still have to faff strapping things round the saddle rails
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Good job Ray, reminds me of the rack that was attached to the back of the Trek 1120. As a (possible) better solution for fixing to the seatpost have you seen these?

https://www.wiggle.com/dmr-hinged-clamps-1/

Might even get them cheaper from China :smile:
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Looks like a neat solution Ray, I had to retire my Alpkit dry bag as it had reached the end of it's life. I've "upgraded" to the Blackburn Outpost pack and I've found it can swing around a bit unless well packed.