Ribble Adventure 725/ti or Sonder broken Road? Or something altogether different?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ssnowman

Ribble Adventure 725/ti or Sonder broken Road? Or something altogether different?

Post by ssnowman »

Has anyone got or ridden any of the above?

I'm compiling a list for my next bike (big birthday coming up!)and the above bikes are on my shortlist. I like the idea of the Adventure ti, but with the gearing and loop bar of the 725. But is the ti, really worth the extra £1300?

Also making the list is the Sonder Broken Road, which looks excellent value for the spec.at £2300.

Main requirements are steel or ti hardtail, 27.5 wheels, low gearing and suspension fork compatible.

Also, is there anything else I should be looking at?
May satan walk with you
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Ribble Adventure 725/ti or Sonder broken Road? Or something altogether different?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Has anyone got or ridden any of the above?
Ribble Adventure 725 ....... No, despite numerous promises.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Re: Ribble Adventure 725/ti or Sonder broken Road? Or something altogether different?

Post by redefined_cycles »

If it was me and for an adventrue bike. I'd be going for the Fairlight Strael. Dont see why it couldn't be suspension compatible but am sure they will confirm for you... I'd just be riding it with its standard forks...

I think it Reynolds 853 for its main tubes... If you like 725 then you'll indeed LOVE 853.... is a real pleasure to ride...

If they said it was suspension advisable I'd just be happy and buy it anyways :-bd

NB. I'm not on commission...
redefined_cycles

*I'm assuming the Ribble Adventure 725 is a reference to them using 725 tubes!
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

I've seen someone else waiting and waiting.......and waiting for a RIbble 725. Currently thinking of asking for a refund apparently. Lovely looking bikes even so.

The Fairlight Strael is certainly rideable on rougher ground though it's meant as more of a road bike, if you were riding most of the time on road with a bit of rough then a Strael would be a great bike to own, but if you were more rough than road the Secan would be the better choice. I got a test-ride on a Strael last Saturday (super-smooth on the crap tarmac of east London, towpath and every section of cobbles I could find) but only as they don't have any Secans spare to test-ride which I would assume to be like greased butter on rails by comparison.
Not sure why you'd put suspension on a Strael tbh.

I've got an order pending for a Secan. It'd give you a choice of 700c or 27.5 with loads of clearance, ability to fit a Lauf-fork if that was you're intention, steel frame (carbon fork)....
Last edited by Oli.vert on Thu May 23, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

the Fairlight Strael. Dont see why it couldn't be suspension compatible
.. its a carbon-forked drop bar bike so I doubt it? There's 40mm travel gravel sus forks now I suppose but, well, I wouldn't bother :grin:

If I had the cash for a Broken Road, as nice as it is, I'd be asking Shand what I could get. The Tam probably. With a chain and normal gearing. Similar cost and -really- well made.
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

With that type of budget I'd be after a Solaris max. Must admit I've a soft spot for Cotics - got a couple of them.

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/solarisMAX
Powered by crumpets.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

It's definitely more a mountain type bikepacking bike that I'm after. A gravel bike just isn't for me.

I really like the look of the Shand Bahookie, but it's c.£2800, with only 1 x 11 and they're not taking orders at present.

Comic Solaris looks nice, but again no current availability.

It sounds like the Adventure 725 doesn't actually exist!!

Any other suggestions greatly received :grin:
May satan walk with you
redefined_cycles

Isn't the Pinnacle Arkose fitting your job sheet??
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The Broken Road's a very nice bike. A lad who I do a lot of riding with has one and properly loves it. I've seen him ride it pretty damn fast on long bikepacking trips and down big techy stuff in the Alps so I'd say it fits as "a mountain type bikepacking bike".

That Ribble looks like it might have a bit too big a standover height for a clumsy oaf like me. :???:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Sounds like the OP is set on an mtb i.e. something that can take 29er tyres greater than 2"

The Strael is a road bike, and the Secan and Arkose are rufty tufty road bikes (aka Gravel :wink: ). I have a Secan and its a superb and capable bike, but not as capable as an mtb.

I have a Broken Road and am delighted with it. Nice Ti ride, sorted geometry, good tyre clearence (2.6" x 29) and very capable. I have two pairs of wheels for it; 2.1 nanos for bridleway bashing and 2.4 Ardents on i30 rims for rocky stuff. I built mine up from the frame and the only observation I would make about the Sonder complete bikes is the wheels look a bit heavy and cheap.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:47 pm Isn't the Pinnacle Arkose fitting your job sheet??
Unfortunately not, as it's a gravel bike, gearing is far too high and it's an
aluminium frame.
May satan walk with you
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

wriggles wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:24 pm Sounds like the OP is set on an mtb i.e. something that can take 29er tyres greater than 2"

The Strael is a road bike, and the Secan and Arkose are rufty tufty road bikes (aka Gravel :wink: ). I have a Secan and its a superb and capable bike, but not as capable as an mtb.

I have a Broken Road and am delighted with it. Nice Ti ride, sorted geometry, good tyre clearence (2.6" x 29) and very capable. I have two pairs of wheels for it; 2.1 nanos for bridleway bashing and 2.4 Ardents on i30 rims for rocky stuff. I built mine up from the frame and the only observation I would make about the Sonder complete bikes is the wheels look a bit heavy and cheap.
Ideally looking for mtb for bikepacking, 27.5, with ability to take 2.6 or 2.8" tyres with frame in either steel or ti.

I don't want a 29'er as I want to keep the weight down and gearing low.

Another bike that's piqued my interest is the Surly ecr 27.5+. A bit worried that this might be a too heavy though.
May satan walk with you
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's actually very little difference in weight between the various tyre sized bikes (if you compare like with like). I've a Cotic Solaris (in large) which is the 29er version of the Cotic Soul which my wife has (in extra small). The Solaris is 1x Shimano while the Soul is 2x Shimano. Other than that pretty much everything else is the same kit so both bikes have Hope wheels and Bontrager tyres, Shimano brakes. The Soul weighs 12kg, the Solaris 12.5kg.

In one of those serendipitous alignments the difference between the tyre sizes is very similar to the difference between 1x NW chainring sizes. So 29" with 30T is the (very roughly but not enough that you'd notice) same as 27.5" with 32T and 26" with 34T.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Ssnowman... sounds to me like you want this:
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:04 pm Ssnowman... sounds to me like you want this:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14545

Thing of beauty is that there SC... Plus they make their gear to be INDESTRUCTIBLE (yes, with capitals indeed)... Did you see the vid of Danny Mac trying to shred their carbon rims. In the end he had to resort to riding them down loadsa steps and eventually they gave in...

I remember my Santa Cruz Superlight fondly (but alas, too much suspension was too newschool and it was just too easy to ride!...). Thing of beauty that too

NB. Referring to thw attached thread of the SC highball... its carbon but dont expect it to be carbon-light... (strong, cheap, light, pick 2)... SC generally superstrong and bit heavy (but please dont anyone hit me for being wrong :-bd )
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Thu May 23, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Stooge?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
redefined_cycles

Mariner wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:09 pmStooge?
Above my pay grade... :o
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:04 pm Ssnowman... sounds to me like you want this:

Contact dave/flv... Sorry for clutterint he thread. I do have a soft spot for Santa Cruz' :oops:
redefined_cycles

Another seemingly proper BPing mtb to throw in mix:
https://nordestcycles.com/en/product/sardinha-frame (I only know cos FLV got one)...
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Trying not to go down the build route, but Stooge is definitely up there if I do.
May satan walk with you
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

ssnowman wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:21 pm
Trying not to go down the build route, but Stooge is definitely up there if I do.
Go on you know you want to.
I bet if you looked around you have all the parts already.
I had never built or serviced my own bike until I built mine. :oops:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
FLV

Post by FLV »

ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

FLV wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:26 pm https://www.merlincycles.com/ritchey-ti ... 10816.html

Only in small, quite nice though
A lot of bike for the money, and ticks a lot of boxes. Shame it's only available in small.
May satan walk with you
FLV

Post by FLV »

Marin pine mountain?