I'd like to share this.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

I'd like to share this.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Some of you may have seen this already but there'll be enough who haven't to warrant putting it here too ....

Yesterday, someone sent a Feed the Bear donation and the note below was attached to it. I think that to some degree or another it's something we can all relate to. I also believe that everyone who frequents Bear Bones World in whatever way plays a part in making it what it is (for good or bad, I refuse to take all the blame), so take some pride in knowing that you actually do make a positive difference to other peoples lives. It might be indirectly perhaps but it's still a difference.
"I owe so much of who I am now to bikepacking. Aside from every trip being bloody brilliant in it's own way, the attitude is what sticks. Solving problems and dealing with failure are part of it. Whether it is an unplanned detour, flash storm, or broken gear, you are put in a situation where the only thing to do is sort it out for yourself. So you do, and realise that almost always, you can. I was always scared of failing to the point that I would never give everything to an exam, a friendship, a race. Now I embrace it as a learning experience and a story. Thanks for that. Thanks for the freedom to fail"
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Re: I'd like to share this.

Post by middleagedmadness »

"the freedom to fail" I think that's a great point to make , especially with kids ,at school their told that you have to pass this and pass that without explaining that failing is what breeds success and makes a rounded character ( this applies to some adults too :wink: )
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very true Stu - a fear of failure generally results in never trying. If you don't try, you'll never know what you're capable of. Life might be 'safe' but it'll be mind numbingly dull and unrewarding.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm cool with failure. If things were easy, they wouldn't be worth doing. :cool:
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

I wholeheartedly agree with this on many levels. As a teacher I actively encourage my students to fail, they think I'm bloody mad. We all fail, but I see on a daily basis how crippling fear of failure can be. Resilience is something that can be learnt and would benefit all. I'll get off my soapbox now, sorry.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

This thread reminded me of this quote;

"Until you are broken, you don’t know what you’re made of. Being broken gives you the ability to build yourself all over again, but this time around build yourself stronger than ever. Therefore you will be unbreakable."
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
slarge

Post by slarge »

It does ring true on so many levels. Kind of the opposite to the Homer Simpson school,of life "if at first you don't succeed, give up".
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

As I have said to Stu before, in an odd way you lot are like "family".
There is a lot of gratitude to Stu for what he has created

Doing the challenging rides, when it's cold, dark, late, i'm tired, cold, hungry I tell myself #IAmBoner and carry on.
Fairly sure next week on Jolge I will tell myself several times that #IAmBoner