Two Person Tents?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

grmtylr

Two Person Tents?

Post by grmtylr »

I've recently built up a Space Chicken for my other half and she's now decided that she fancies doing a couple of bikepacking trips.
They aren't going to be huge mileage, in the middle of nowhere, or in anything but good weather but I still need a tent. I suggested just sleeping under the stars but that didn't go down well!

Any suggestions for a two person tent that's small enough to carry on the bike but doesn't weigh the same as a small planet?
Ideally I don't want to spend a fortune but I suppose it just comes down to what's available.
whitestone

Re: Two Person Tents?

Post by whitestone »

Have a look here https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -tents-c26. Unfortunately the "light, quality, cheap - pick two" rule applies. Work out what your priorities are and what you are prepared to compromise on.

For summer (plus late spring, early autumn) camping a mesh inner will be fine and provide adequate ventilation to deal with condensation.

We've the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2, there's now a bikepacking specific version with shorter section poles. Both cost £450.

Edit: following Chris's post, the Alpkit Jaran 2 is their version of the Copper Spur. If you are near one of their stores there's a chance one might be on display.
Last edited by whitestone on Wed May 22, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Alpkit Ordos 2? 1.3Kg and £255. Not used that particular model but I've had good experiences with other Alpkit tents.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a Force 10 Vittesse I'd part with. Aside from a trial pitch it's brand new. Think it weighs around 1.3kg all in.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

When you find something you like Google it to death. I bought an Exped tent for half it's UK price from a shop in Grenoble, it took an evening of surfing to find it.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

IMHO not much point buying high quality kit for occasional short trips so take the weight hit and but a chineses/ebay special
grmtylr

Post by grmtylr »

A couple of interesting points there.

I'm part tempted to get a couple of one man tents, one cheapo and a decent one as I imagine the two person wont be used much.

Definitely need to do some more research before I get something.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

i use a Terra Nova solar photon 2 for bikepacking

makes for a "spacious" one man tent, or a "snug" two man tent

it is very light
ootini

Post by ootini »

Me n the Mrs use a cheap Vango Ark 200, split it and carry half each.
grmtylr

Post by grmtylr »

I've been doing a bit of Googling and looking at various tent options, the choice is bewildering when you're not sure what you want!
The Alpkit Viso 2 looks pretty good for what I need, not too expensive and seems to be a sensible size as well.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

The Alpkit Ordos 2 is a great bit of kit. It weighs next to nothing and is easily packable on the bike. Its inner pitch first which some frown at but its a thumbs up from me :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos