Measuring stem bag!?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Measuring stem bag!?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just wondered if theres a method of measuring up for a stem bag. Thinking of this - https://backcountry.scot/product/alpama ... -stem-bag/ - but it comes in large and small...

which would you go for?
My frame is a medium/large and stem is a 50mm affair and I dont tend to whack my knees towards the bars...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Measuring stem bag!?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With a 50mm stem, you might find you bang your knees if stood up pedalling ... otherwise, maybe decide on size by thinking about what you'd like to fit inside it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Just trying to increase cargo capacity Stu as I don't have the luxury (although there is the 3litre alpkit UL-R post) of a saddlebag due to wanting to continue using my dropper post on the BPing bike (there is the new Revelator at 7L capacity but way above budget for me)...

Am thinking if it will interfere with knees then I may have to rethink as I can't imagine it increasing my capacity (a stem cell) by much... Mainly for food

https://www.alpkit.com/products/tarmac- ... at-pack-ul
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You might be better looking at the Apidura stem cell/feed bag - https://www.apidura.com/shop/backcountry-food-pouch/. I've a couple, I've not used them for a while but can't remember catching my knees on them when out of the saddle. They are a little bit smaller than the Alpkit or similar bags.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Thanks Bob... Have been learning loads from your ITT and other blog write-ups btw. Wonderfully written and just as amusing/humorous (one slight notch less) as Stu's reviews (that rhymes)... :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you considered an additional bag to go on the front?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Cheapest way to get more storage is to just strap an additional dry bag to your bar bag and stuff your food in your jersey pockets
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:35 pm Have you considered an additional bag to go on the front?
Yup. Thats also in the pipeline Stu but with me us8ng the bags on both the road bike and mtb, I'm trying to economise and be able to run whatever I purchase on both (dont have flaired bars on the roadie so something like for example the Ortlieb upfront might be a bit tight... and a bit expensive!)
redefined_cycles

PaulB2 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:56 pm Cheapest way to get more storage is to just strap an additional dry bag to your bar bag and stuff your food in your jersey pockets
Yup... The Voile straps I got from Bearbone towers have been excellent in allowing that... :-bd (under saddle mind)
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

My experience is that I can get away with a larger stem cell bag on a straight bar bike than on a drop bar bike as the top tube tends to be longer.
I can get away with an XL Alpkit on my Krampus no bother but find I have to go a bit bow legged to get my knees round standard stem cells on my Fargo. It works but is mildly annoying.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
techno

Post by techno »

This is small in the front to rear dimension too:
https://restrap.co.uk/products/tech-bag
redefined_cycles

Or theres also this option which seems narrow enough to work on the road bike (when/if needed) and onviosuly will fit on the mtb. Meaning I've got a full 10 to 15L of storage space and the dry bag being waterproof increases my options of what to carry in there...

Only problem then would be my lights (currently got thw mtbBatts Lumenator) not being able to see over the bag (apparently this reviewer didn't feel the Exposure (Joystick) mount worked over the bags either...

Thanks again for all the input btw.

Just trying to make sure I'm only spending once and already have 10L to go (split between either side of fork legs) in the Monkey cage thingies... (so npt really that much more potential for adding much more wieght up front (I guess and from what Bob (Whitestone) once mentioned many moons ago on a thread)... :???:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The restrap one is similar to the bedrock bags one

https://www.bedrockbags.com/gear/tapeats-handlebar-bag

I don't know if the bedrock bags are available in the UK? I based my myog version on that design as I needed to be able to pedal standing up without them interfering as I spend a lot of time out of the saddle.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

{Devil's advocate}
due to wanting to continue using my dropper post on the BPing bike
Droppers are generally a tool of ignorance. A better understanding of cycle dynamics and then implementing that knowledge into your riding will largely negate the requirement for a dropper in 95% of UK off-road situations ... knowledge is free too. :wink:
{Devil's advocate}
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

knowledge is free too
My knowledge weighs me down constantly. Ime feed bags are a pita, constantly banging my knees on the steep stuff.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:37 am {Devil's advocate}
due to wanting to continue using my dropper post on the BPing bike
Droppers are generally a tool of ignorance. A better understanding of cycle dynamics and then implementing that knowledge into your riding will largely negate the requirement for a dropper in 95% of UK off-road situations ... knowledge is free too. :wink:
{Devil's advocate}
Haha... I know, I know.... but it just felt so much nicer after finally getting one and I'm able to do some steep steps (at least 45% angle, both sets*, but these current ones have bigger steps) without an Endover (or a Ned Overend)....

Previously in Huddersfield on way home from commutes (on the mtb: retro GT Zaskar -probably a fake as it never felt like my previous one and was harsh n bumpy - with Surly steel forks) I used to clesr this with (1) but without any dropper post and I'm pretty sure on occassion that I was being sensible I would stop and drop the post but it was always a case of, 'is today the day I Overend it... I do hope noone sees me'.

But now with the dropper in Dewsbury (and not as much mtb riding either -so a bit lacking and rough round the edges with my already limited trail skills - as the trails are a bit farther out and I have a road bike too) with Stan (the Sonder Transmitter), I have a ritual of always clearing these lovelies (2) on thw ride out. I'm on the rigid and its always a chuckle when my riding partner (if I manage to beg and recruit one) tries to follow my line on their fully sussed bikes with around 150mm upfront. Thwy obviously manage to get down the steps but I'm pretty sure it does get vaguely exciting for them....

Plus, when the local kids see 'old man... uncle...' doing them steps on the rigid, I like to think it fills them with a slight sense of fear and respect (like what the guy explained about about the local kids carrying his mums shopping all the way home at start of Goodfellas and as he explains "its out of respect") which hopefully in life (a little :-bd and at least they won't throw litter when I tell em off)

1 Image

2 Image
redefined_cycles

So... Droppers (on my bike) are here to stay :lol:

Them steps might not look much to you mad people but they really get the adrenaline rush for me... especially satisfying to not Overend too... :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You said you wanted a dropper on your BPing bike, you never said owt about your commuter? :wink:
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:44 am You said you wanted a dropper on your BPing bike, you never said owt about your commuter? :wink:
Nope... ignore the mention of commuter... My previous commuter was the mtb (as I always wondered how road bikes mange to not fall into the drainage channels... :lol: ) but now the commutes are longer (cos I got the road bike for commutes)... its all very confusing, I know... :roll:
redefined_cycles

Oh... I have a massive (17L of massive) Ortlieb saddlepack for the road bike (used to carry kit to work but can also double up for bikepacking duties when Stans * not available.

*Stan was unavailable for comment...