Fat VIking 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Fat VIking 2020

Post by Richard G »

Anyone here planning on doing this? I really want to try a snow event and this looks like it has potential.

http://www.geilo-aktiv.com/no/fat-viking

Am also considering the Rovaniemi 150 which I know a few people here have done before.
whitestone

Re: Fat VIking 2020

Post by whitestone »

I thought about doing it this year but when you look at the website you don't see a list of those who've entered so it was hard to tell if it was going ahead or not - might be different once you have entered and you get to see a list. Someone I follow on Strava did it this year so it obviously did go ahead.

I'm not sure what if any "experience" you need to show for the Fat Viking but for the Rovaniemi Alex (the organiser) likes to see a list of stuff that shows you can handle yourself in cold weather for an extended period of time. I.e. not just nipping in to town to do some shopping :wink: For the first year I just put all my winter alpine climbing experience down, this year the first woman finisher hadn't done a fat bike race before but she had done the Seven Summits.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I know a few who have done the fat viking, its a great event and they used to (not sure if they still do) hold a mini training camp before the race.

Worth speccing studded tyres for this event as I've heard of at least one of the races having a freeze/thaw and the studs became essential (whilst I've yet to hear of riding needing this for the R150, no doubt I'll be proved wrong!),

Also think it becomes a qualifying race for the ITI, so that could be an incentive over the R150.

Can't recommend the R150 race enough though, it's a great event and lots of friendly people there :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thats looks good - there was talk of another Norwegian event but it was on less prepared trails and therefore involved lots of schlepping....
Not next year but the year after mebbes
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, they have the training camp again in 2020. Could be pretty cool, if only to meet a bunch of people. :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

You now have a fat bike???? Wow, hell must have frozen over.

It does look good, after my Sweden adventure I like the sound of it. Plus I do have a proper fat bike and cold weather gear.

Richard G wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:39 pm Anyone here planning on doing this? I really want to try a snow event and this looks like it has potential.

http://www.geilo-aktiv.com/no/fat-viking

Am also considering the Rovaniemi 150 which I know a few people here have done before.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Have you done any research you can share in how to get there, flights/trains etc
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Like hell do I. I'm planning on hiring one. :lol:

...and no, still early days for the moment. I might apply to see if it kicks me into a gear a bit.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I'm tempted, just got to see how much it would cost to get and stay there.