Lost my Trailshot primary filter

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Lost my Trailshot primary filter

Post by TheBrownDog »

I think that's what it's called anyway. It's the red cap thing at the end of the hose which I presume takes care of chunky stuff. It came unscrewed and disappeared in a stream on the WRT. I've spent some quality time googling for a replacement, but can only find the cartridge filter replacement kits. Anyone?
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Lost my Trailshot primary filter

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps an email to Lyon distribution explaining your plight?
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bit of muslin and an elastic band Tim? I realise this is not entirely helpful.

Or are you asking if someone picked up the filter on WRT? That'd be a hell of a long shot never mind a trail shot :smile: . Still, pretty observant lot BBBers....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bit of muslin and an elastic band Tim?
That;s actually what I was thinking, to be fair. Will try contacting Lyon in the meantime.
slarge

Post by slarge »

a paper filter from a screenwash pipe (local Halfords or somewhere) - just don't use a petrol or diesel filter as I think they are oily
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I think you get one in the main cartridge kit along with the 2 rubber valves. Obviously this is an expensive way to buy it but you would have the main filter etc. ready for when they need replacing.

I've not got mine to hand to check but doesn't it also hold the non-return valve in place?

Just found the instructions, the non-return valve is held in by a housing and the pre-filter screws on so as has been said you could improvise something.

https://d1l67pfsx3wblg.cloudfront.net/p ... s%20EN.pdf

I'd have look in a good pet shop as I think I've seen small filters for use in fish tanks to keep debris out of the pumps?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I lost one of the rubber valve parts behind the water tank in the airing cupboard drying my Trailshot a while back.
£25-30 for the filter kit really is the only way to get spares.
Subsequently I switched to a Sawyer Mini. The whole thing was £26 on eBay.
I don’t regret the switch at all. You get better filtration as it includes carbon so chemicals and metals are also removed. It’s quicker and easier to use so long as you have enough water to fill the little bag thing. Not a problem so far. It weighs less than half as a Trailshot. Best of all is you don’t have to flap around trying to pump the damn thing. Maybe it’s my small girlish hands but I always had difficulty getting a good flow on the Trailshot, not anymore, fill the bag and just squeeze the water into the bottle pronto presto.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Sooooooooo ,,, I emailed Lyon and turns out they're not the MSR distributors, but they put me onto Cascade Designs customer service folks. Emailed them, they replied 12hrs later and have popped a replacement in the post FOC. Can't fault that. :-bd :-bd

And in doing all this, I've been looking at the Sawyer minis too. I'd never seem them in action, but in the time it took me to fill a 900ml bottle with my Trailshot, MaM could have filled his three times. And yes, much lighter too, Hmmm ....
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Mines a katadyn befree ,think it was only about £28 and works as well as my Vario filter used it in puddles and stuff I really shouldn't have
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:48 pm And in doing all this, I've been looking at the Sawyer minis too. I'd never seem them in action, but in the time it took me to fill a 900ml bottle with my Trailshot, MaM could have filled his three times. And yes, much lighter too, Hmmm ....
I've only ever used a Trailshot but my experience of being with Sawyer squeezy bag users is the opposite. I've ridden with a few Sawyer users and I was filled up ready to go in about one third of the time.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:48 pm And in doing all this, I've been looking at the Sawyer minis too. I'd never seem them in action, but in the time it took me to fill a 900ml bottle with my Trailshot, MaM could have filled his three times. And yes, much lighter too, Hmmm ....
I was a sawyer user but switched to a trailshot as I find it quicker.

How often do you do the shake and let the water back out the bottom thing which cleans the outside of the filter element? I do this about every 4 or 5 uses which is about every 5 litres. This seems to help with the flow rate. If the filter gets silt on the outside the flow rate seems to slow down noticeably.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

middleagedmadness wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:29 pm Mines a katadyn befree ,think it was only about £28 and works as well as my Vario filter used it in puddles and stuff I really shouldn't have
Befree convert here too, although theoretically it suffers from the same limitations as the squeeze it’s a nice bit of kit. I’ve been using it in Spain mainly to filter water from public outlets in villages. Although Duncan assured us that they were ok I didn’t want to risk bottom hell.
With a newish element it only adds about 30 seconds to the fill time.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

My Trailshot was well maintained, it’s the pump action I had trouble with. This was especially true deep into a long ride but like I say I do have girly small hands.

Edit: My Sawyer is a Micro, not a Mini and according to the blurb has an improved flow rate over the Mini.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC