Match the Miles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Match the Miles

Post by Dave Barter »

Thought you might like to see this map concept I knocked up with the Adventure Syndicate

https://matchthemiles.nautoguide.com/

It mixes a SPOT Tracker (Adventure Syndicate) with miles entered manually by schools who then race the spot down the line.

Was done in evenings at short notice so I'm sure it could be polished and improved but I find it therapeutic looking at the schools and workplaces chasing Lee and Jenny. I like the way that tiny miles can compete with the elites as well.

More info here http://theadventuresyndicate.com/match-the-miles

If the map doesn't work for you, time for a new computer

ps the route goes north to south and Fitz has been a slack bastard
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ianfitz

Re: Match the Miles

Post by ianfitz »

Oi! Team Fitz is an elite setup with only one member. Some of them schools have 1200 kids.

Also I’m only on there as I set up the registration forms for them and tested it with my own details. Then forgot :roll:

Still, looks like a nice beach I’ve stopped at, may visit for real in the summer :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good work Dave, even I can understand it.

Flail me now - as an aside does anyone else feel slightly disappointed with
Enable a smaller group of eight teenage girls to change their relationship to outdoor adventurous exercise permanently, resulting in improved levels of self-esteem, resilience and confidence that will last them a lifetime.
Why not all kids? As a disenfranchised teenager, I know first hand that low self-esteem, confidence, etc aren't soley problems of the female gender. It'd be nice to see all kids given the same chances / opportunities.
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

It dosn't hurt to try to address the gender imbalance in mtb riding - raw numbers and the use of our eyes tells us that it's pretty much a complete sausage fest at the moment. So while I agree with your general point and I'm never 100% comfortable with positive discrimination I think in this case it's a healthy path to go down. Plus it's up to Lee et al to do the actual dirty work, maybe they just feel they can connect better with a small group of teenage girls?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

If any one is interested:-

a) we have a site now where anyone can set up their own challenge (still beta) supports SPOT and Opentracker
b) Holme Valley Mountain Research are out doing one now. Kevin has run a rather large number of miles in two days. I'm well behind him cycling!
c) we hope to develop the site further so feedback/ideas much appreciated BUT this is a Beta I very much stress that.

https://www.matchthemiles.org/
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Daft question alert - are you riding the Pennine Way Dave?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

No, the idea is you do miles elsewhere to try and match Kevins run
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Like I said... :grin:

I won't drive up to Hebden to buy you a hot chocolate then.