Glasses. Plastic/glass. Safest?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

Glasses. Plastic/glass. Safest?

Post by Rasta »

I've started wearing my Rayban sunnies (glass lenses) because my cycling specific ones are dying and the 3 replacements - with 100's of great reviews on Amazon - are rubbish.

Because the Raybans are glass, I'm a little nervous about what would happen if I crashed.

Are plastic/polycarbonate safer? Or is a quality lens in glass just as safe?

I know if stomped on the Raybans the glass probably wouldn't crack. The frame in 1 or 2 places maybe.

Not a test I want to do.
So has anyone had any issues with plastic or glass shades in a crash?
Last edited by Rasta on Mon May 13, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rasta

Re: Glasses. Plastic/glass. Safest?

Post by Rasta »

:ugeek:
Sorry - forgot to insert the sunglasses emoji.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

:cool:
Or is it this one?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

personally i just use safety glasses and safety sun glasses [ local hardware shop so i can try them on last lot were about £3 each iirc]

I would not risk anything that close to my eyes if i was not certain
YMMV
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Lazarus wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:25 pm personally i just use safety glasses and safety sun glasses [ local hardware shop so i can try them on last lot were about £3 each iirc]

I would not risk anything that close to my eyes if i was not certain
YMMV
I was going to suggest the same. Pop into your local Screwfix/Wickes/Homebase and check out the safety glasses.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I didn't know there were safety sunglasses.

But I know they won't work for me. I need good quality lenses. I can't wear bad ones, they drive me nuts, except my evening yellow ones.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

As with anything, you get what you pay for. Very cheap safety glasses have poor quality lenses/frames. The more expensive ones are made to the same quality as high quality sunglasses.

I wear bifocal safety glasses (can't read my garmin otherwise) in both clear and tinted and have no issues even after wearing them for long periods.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

sometimes you just paid extra for some labels and branding[ rather than better- its not universally true that spending more = better especially as safety glasses have specfic standards to meet.
My more expensive safety glasses [ Bolle ] were not any better in use and I have yet to break any set /had to stop using any [ cheap or expensive]though I do lose about a pair a year.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'm with Laz on this. Cost is often a poor indication of quality, suitability etc. It's an easy metric that most people work to (higher cost = better) but being easy it is also prone to be over-used through ease / laziness and to being exploited by those "creating" prices.

No offence to Sean. Just saying. Interesting book about it (and other stuff) "The Psychology of Persuasoin": https://www.amazon.co.uk/Influence-Psyc ... RKTFCQXSET
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Perhaps I've worded it the wrong way round :smile: In my experience the very cheap safety glasses I've had (been issued with) are junk and just there for an employer to comply with their obligation to supply them.

Agreed that cost is no indication of quality. What I was trying to say is that I've never had a good and cheap pair.

The good ones I've had have always cost more. I've bought some of my best ones in proper independent tool hire shops with a display where I could try them on beforehand.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

:-bd
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

sean_iow wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:04 am I wear bifocal safety glasses (can't read my garmin otherwise) in both clear and tinted and have no issues even after wearing them for long periods.
Hi Sean, beginning to get the same issue here with the Garmin - do you have a source/brand for the bifocal versions (in both clear and tinted) please.... cheers. Mark
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

These are what I use

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/voltX-CONSTR ... ctupt=true

I do find that the tinted ones can make seeing some of the colours on the screen a bit tricky. I now just wear the clear ones and the peak of my cycling cap keeps the sun out of my eyes. As I'd need the clear ones at night anyway not carrying the tinted ones for day use = TLS :smile:
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

sean_iow wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm These are what I use

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/voltX-CONSTR ... ctupt=true

I do find that the tinted ones can make seeing some of the colours on the screen a bit tricky. I now just wear the clear ones and the peak of my cycling cap keeps the sun out of my eyes. As I'd need the clear ones at night anyway not carrying the tinted ones for day use = TLS :smile:
Nice one cheers - I've looked but there's so much out there without a real world (well... here at least :grin: ) recommendation it's hard to know where to start.... Ta muchly.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW I did a faceplant while wearing my Oakleys. There's a slight mark on one of the lenses. My helmet cracked and I had a huge lump/bruise on my head.

Cheap? Hell no. Prescription Transition lenses see? OTOH the frames are now 10 years old and I'm on my 2nd set of lenses as my prescription changed.

I figure that I'm very careful where I put them/how I handle them as they were initially expensive.

As for "customer care", I had to contact Oakley asking where I could buy spare "ear socks" as I managed to rip one. They just posted a full set out to me foc.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Just ordered a set of those bifocals. Ta for the tip!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I get clear and tinted ones from screwfix. As they have the euro standard they have to have had a certain size ball bearing fired at them from a certain close distance without them imploding. I've never yet had any issues with anything damaging them whilst cycling. Still I go through several pairs a year as I tend to loose them or break the arms, but at a few quid a pair, I just buy new ones and have a couple of spare ones at home.