Etrex 30x or Wahoo Elmnt ROAM: A vote

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Etrex 30x or Wahoo Elmnt ROAM: A vote

Post by redefined_cycles »

So... This is what its come to. Am willing to sacrifice the power meter and heart rate connectivity of the ROAM for the advantages (of being able to see whats around and water sources etc) of the full colour and bikepackingability of the ETREX30...

Obviously I wants non-touch screen so am not getting stressed during the rain etc.

Hopefully Facebook or the russians wont be involved to sway your decision but please do, have your say :-bd
redefined_cycles

Re: Etrex 30x or Wahoo Elmnt ROAM: A vote

Vote:

Etrex 30x

or

Wahoo ROAM
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Had the original etrex 20 with os maps on sd card and can't fault it ( could do with a bigger screen but that's just because I'm greedy :lol: ) ,navigates through rain cold when batteries get low just throw another set in ,drop it ,crashed it and it still turns on and works ,joystick is getting a little stiff now and panning across the map could be faster ,when used in conjunction with a paper map it's brilliant ,no need to look for contours or ground points to locate yourself on the map just click on the blue arrow and get your grid ref and then check for anything you want on the paper map
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

The major consideration for Etrex is the long battery life and ability to use AA. I've no idea if the other one has this. But if you're going far enough /remote enough then I don't see any other option.than Etrex. They do have their glitch problems. This can be somewhat overcome by saving a gpx of your route to a gpx app on your phone as backup.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Strangely (perhaps) when there's a choice between something made for cycling and something made for general outdoor use, I usually go for the latter. GPS are no exception.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'd argue etrex. The Wahoo is more about road cycling than proper off road.

Oh, and I have a HRM and S/C attached to my old one. Can you not do that any more?
redefined_cycles

Thanks y'all good people... Your votes are all being recorded :-bd

That thing that padonbike said about "they do have their glitch problems", brought me back flooding memories of my previous 3 garmins :grin:

RG... Whats a S/C (sorry for my dimness)... also, my Bolt performed pretty well on rosd as well as off and took me round the Mary Townley precisely (though I do get that things like the BB200 are a whole different beast but I think even on the garmin/OS maps, the tracks, dont always line up..

Currently am still being swayed towards the ROAM and the issue of not having color OS maps: was previously just getting round this by zooming put and it showing all the villages/towns around me...

:-bd thanks once again
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:31 pm Strangely (perhaps) when there's a choice between something made for cycling and something made for general outdoor use, I usually go for the latter. GPS are no exception.
Stu... Yes, I learnt this rule at some point in last few years aswell and alot of my gear is now more based around the outdoor industry as opposed to cycling apparel... When something cycling specific wears out or stops working (happens alot except for Enduras Singletracks which are apprently not built as robustly anymore either) I just replace from the walkers inputs/BB...

One of the best jackets I ever had was a used Gill jacket from ebay. Yellow and the input from the marine/fishing industry was easy to be seen. What a lovely jacket was that and how sad it was when it finally gave up (post road accident)...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, I'm sure there's a market for 'proper' adventure cycling gear, you know, stuff that actually works for more than 4 hours riding. I know companies have dabbled and some have even branded gear with the 'adventure' tag but it mostly seems more of a marketing exercise rather than a genuine effort to provide decent gear for cycling's unwashed.

I'm not arsed about my coat syncing with my phone, counting my heartrate or flattering my athletic form ... I'd rather it kept me dry and the wind out, everything else is just bollox :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:22 pm RG... Whats a S/C (sorry for my dimness)...
Sorry, speed / cadence.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:44 pm Yes, I'm sure there's a market for 'proper' adventure cycling gear, you know, stuff that actually works for more than 4 hours riding. I know companies have dabbled and some have even branded gear with the 'adventure' tag but it mostly seems more of a marketing exercise rather than a genuine effort to provide decent gear for cycling's unwashed.

I'm not arsed about my coat syncing with my phone, counting my heartrate or flattering my athletic form ... I'd rather it kept me dry and the wind out, everything else is just bollox :-bd
Here here... bravo (agreed in bundles)...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’m an Etrex 20 user. On my second, having lost the first in a pub car park 🙄

It’s not perfect but its features are suited to bikepacking. The 30 just has extra stuff I didn’t need.

The Wahoo looks a bit rubbish for navigating, which is what I want a GPS for.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Currently looking at the Etrex or Oregon myself and getting shut of my Garmin 820 which I thought be a good unit for navigation but seems its not as good as my old 800 which I'll use locally and hopefully an Etrex or Oregon for bike packing purely for navigation and battery life :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
redefined_cycles

I did convince myself that the Etrex30is the way to go... But then memories of my 720 (and 520) came flooding back and the complex rituals of trying to upload a routes (or having to open up the laptop and getting a cable and/or removing and inserting memory cards) and having to chop massive routes into bitesized portions...

:smile: Came back to the Wahoo camp for their KISS (keep It Simple, Stupid) attitude and not caring about what other (Garmin) manufacturers are doing
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The best test is to look around at events like the WRT to see what everyone is using. Garmin outdoor handhelds are by far and away the most common GPS. Some also run an edge for easier tracking etc, but etrex, oregon and dakota models are massively popular

I have an Oregon, it's been massively reliable. It's touchscreen and it's fine. Has survived everything that has been thrown at it and has never complained. For bikepacking you just want to see a route and a map, and for that they just work. My phone is often easier for things, but I would want to put that on my bars. I've crashed many times with my Garmin on, never had a problem
due

Post by due »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:24 am I did convince myself that the Etrex30is the way to go... But then memories of my 720 (and 520) came flooding back and the complex rituals of trying to upload a routes (or having to open up the laptop and getting a cable and/or removing and inserting memory cards) and having to chop massive routes into bitesized portions...
No problems here - never even bothered with the guff Garmin software. Plug it in, shows up as an external drive, drag and drop a GPX file, unplug.

That said trying to do anything other than follow pre-made routes is painfully clunky. I don't think anything beats a phone for navigating on the fly, finding POIs etc., which is where the Wahoo should win except you can't upload your own maps.
redefined_cycles

Due... compare that with the Wahoo (i had the Bolt) where you just click 'starred' on strava (or make your own route) and it just magically appears in the Wahoo device maps pages...

Benp1, thats a fair point with WRT and BB200 test. I think my thing is that I need the 'jack of all trades' as its a fair whack of road riding/commuting (different places as am literally all over Yorkshire) I also use my device for...

Just had a look here aswell - https://advntr.cc/wahoo-launch-new-elemnt-roam-gps/ - and it seems Wahoo use Open Street Maps (osm) for their base. After cross referencing osm with the BB200 of 2014, it appears that (from what I've managed to trace) osm would have enough detail to navigate such a route :-bd

:grin: if it can route a BB of 2014 then surely it can route anything (and i imagine around Wales in Stus routes one would/might need to cross reference on OS maps from time to time and for that I'd have my trusty ViewRanger)... :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did convince myself that the Etrex30is the way to go... But then memories of my 720 (and 520) came flooding back and the complex rituals of trying to upload a routes (or having to open up the laptop and getting a cable and/or removing and inserting memory cards) and having to chop massive routes into bitesized portions...
Trouble is, you really shouldn't compare the 'outdoor' Garmins with the complex, convoluted cycling crap. Chalk and cheese really.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Ive an Elmnt Bolt for roadie, which is perfect for me for that (over the older roadie-leaning Garmin I've also got, now sitting unused). Ive an old Garmin Dakota for off-road - the Bolt's map just doesn't have the detail required. The main thing for me is does the Roam have a suitable map. If yes, I'd get it over any Garmin
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:25 am
Trouble is, you really shouldn't compare the 'outdoor' Garmins with the complex, convoluted cycling crap. Chalk and cheese really.
Yes.. agreed.. Them there cycling convoluted garmins are rather crappy.

Hopefully Wahoo (with their basic but functional devices) won't go down that same route and the fact (from DC rainmakers review which he classed as a negative but in my eyes a +ve) that they didn't experiment and check the competition when designing their ROAM fills me with a 'positive all over body feeling' :grin:

I'm gonna be the social experiment (for want of a better term) and go get that ROAM then (hopefully if I keep growing my courage) enter it on the BB200 (if I get accepted for it)...

Jamiep... From using the BOLT which never missed an off road trail/path (obviously not tested in deep wales by myself) when I was using it. The lack of colour was a bit disappointing but I suppose thats what kept it robust and easy on power consumption...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't worry too much and the BB200 or Wales generally ... there'll be times when you believe any gps device is taking the piss and having a laugh at your expense :wink:
redefined_cycles

:lol: :???: :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm Obviously I wants non-touch screen so am not getting stressed during the rain etc.
My recent decision was between an Oregon 700 and an Edge 1030
For reason discussed below went with the Oregon ....ability to change batteries, ability to hold a large GPX, feels more robust.
Can recharge AAs in-situ; off brand with a simple bodge.
Connectivity isn’t an issue as phone is generally in flight mode.
I think Strava is a pile of poor show, and a means for people to stroke their ego.
Don’t use a power meter; and the silly features of the new cycle computers are laughable.
See little reason for a dedicated cycle computer for bikepacking.
Would be nice though if Garmin made a quarter turn back shell for the Oregon such that an out front mount could be used; have suggested to Garmin, they will likely ignore me.

As for touch screen, the Oregon has a screen lock, and the ability to change touch sensitivity.
There must surely be a reason that series is so popular amongst bikepackers and tourers alike.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:17 pm Don't worry too much and the BB200 or Wales generally ... there'll be times when you believe any gps device is taking the piss and having a laugh at your expense :wink:
On the BB200 it’s not the GPS I feel is taking the piss; the GPS is merely showing the line to follow. :-bd

There be something on the ground is helpful; being rideable is a bonus.
redefined_cycles

Elmnt ROAM appropriately ordered (just like a rigged vote :-bd ) yesterday on paypal cradit and should be here tomorrow... :grin: thanks all and I shall give it a little miniature review after treading some proper terrain with it (the one where you wonder, where is the dashed green line)... :-bd