Bike bags for planes . . .

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

adjustablewench

Bike bags for planes . . .

Post by adjustablewench »

Any recommendations, have previously used a CTC bag for a flight but I may be feeling a Little more precious with my new bike

Trying to find details of the left luggage size allowance at the airport so it may be that we need a collapsible bike bag

Any insight would be appreciated
rufus748

Re: Bike bags for planes . . .

Post by rufus748 »

I've got a crateworks box that folds flat for storage at home and when assembled makes a very sturdy box. Made from nylon.
Having said that, it's too big for the airport left luggage so on last year's TT I left it in the train station left luggage (still assembled) without any problems.
What about a padded bike bag? Or a cardboard bike box and get another to come home.
Although Jase and Andy folded both their boxes to the size of postage stamps last year and left them at the airport. (I didn't see the condition of them on the return trip however) 🤣
Chew

Post by Chew »

If you're in and out of the same airport, you can go down the CTC bag, but use lots of extra padding (pipe lagging, etc) and just store that with your bag.

Alternatively if you wanted to go down the cardboard box route, these are airports where you can buy boxes from. There are others too.

Or depending on your plans book into a hotel on the first night and see if you can leave a box with them for the week
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm in the same dilemma.

I have an old tifosi type generic bag I could use, but its falling apart really.

Need to get something else for the tuscany trail, and then work out what to do with it

I used to have a ground effect non padded one (probably still have) that worked but you really had to pad the bike and I ended up damaging a frame on the way back from a trip due to not sourcing enough padding
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

rufus748 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:02 pm Although Jase and Andy folded both their boxes to the size of postage stamps last year and left them at the airport. (I didn't see the condition of them on the return trip however) 🤣
It's always been fine tbf. Did it at Munich and Geneva last year too. Just take a roll of parcel tape and a pair of scissors with you, leave them in the folded up box in left luggage, then reassemble the box when you return.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Are you doing that with stardard cardboard bike boxes?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Yeah, just a normal "blagged from a bike shop" box. If you fold them in half three or four rimes they basically fold down to the size of a small suitcase. Quick wrap of tape round it and you can sling it in left luggage no worries. We left them at the train station left luggage in Pisa for the Tuscany Trail as it was cheaper (and the people in the airport one were VERY hard work. :lol: ) The station's about a 5 minute monorail (?) ride from the airport.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheers for that. Sounds a good option.

Im only flying with the bike once this year and maybe none next year so investing in a giant bag isnt something i want to do
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I've just got back from Sweden taking the Camino in my DHB softbag. Zero Issues. Some friends have used the Decathlon soft bag with o problems and that's pretty cheap.