BB200: Newcomer (to that)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

BB200: Newcomer (to that)

Post by redefined_cycles »

So... All this talk and banter of the WRT has wet yhe appetite for the forthcoming BB200...

Hence I thought its good to investigate what you folk would suggest in how I prepare. Feel free to share your 3 most pertinent points.

In the meanwhile I will try and share how far I've come (in no particular order of man nor machine).
Asposium

Re: BB200: Newcomer (to that)

Post by Asposium »

depends how you wish to ride.....

straight through
or two days
don't think "it's only 200km over two days, how difficult can that be?" :shock: :lol:
Answer is very

there will be hike-a-bike, unrideable bits, swearing to the gods-of-boner
expect being wet, cold, hungry, tired
if you're comfortable you're carrying too much

do the BAM as training
reduce what you need to the absolute minimum
can be "enjoyable"; however, not a boner social event in the same manner as WRT

if riding straight though be aware it will get dark around 7pm ish (IIRC) and not get light until 6am ish; plan lighting accordingly, light(s) need to be bright enough for riding offroad when one is tired and not 100% alert
i find BB200 more a case of mental toughness than physical ability; that ability to keep going and not quit

expect things not to go according to plan
last year I had 11 punctures (only carrying three spare tubes)
and got water inside my primary Garmin (i carry a backup Garmin)
we all follow the same route, so a fellow boner would help out if necessary; however, don't expect assistance or anyone coming to help
there is no signage or marshalls

if riding over two days then "simply" treat as a BAM, just with interesting terrain; Stu isn't riding, so doesn't have an objection to including nasty bits
just because a track exists on the map don't expect it to exist on the ground
similarly, do expect the GPX track to align with the track on the ground (discovered that one many-many times, so many that I will re-trace the entire route in ViewRanger using the aerial view)

the bacon roll and crunchy nut cornflakes at the end are very welcome
Last edited by Asposium on Wed May 08, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I remember an old conversation on here where someone (maybe me or might have been someone else) asked about preparation in order to perform well at the BB200 and Ian (Barrington) quite perfectly and bluntly suggested that one repeatedly ride that distance over that terrain so that you knew you could do it and then get to work on getting faster :-bd

Kind of incredibly helpful and entirely unhelpful at the same time!

So just do that :shock:
redefined_cycles

So...

I think probably I would able to afford the days out in terms of registration as Stu isn't Crikey, how much priced.

Have used mapboards numerously on trailquests (now called bike orienteering apparently) but won't be using that for BB... My trusty Wahoo Roam should have arrived by then.

I've got the upgraded brakes (m7000 if you must know) on order and front tyre/rear combo shall be 2.8/2.4 with some rigid Trav Prongs (so my hands might not hurt as much from the super stiff frame [sorry Stan]).

I dont like tussocks nor river crossings but have appropriately ordered (and ones arrived) 2 new sets of Dexshells that go near enough to th3 knees.... Dont like bogs either :roll:

I love them beautiful picturesque scenes from the WRT reports.

I have a decent sleeping bag and a BB carbon pole (work in progress with shelter being built aroudn the pole).

Erm... I'm vegetarian, am pubOphobic and also a bit soft (but dont feel the need for a soft pillow so I guess am not too soft :-bd maybe) and also dur8g this month of fasting am pushing the body on long fasted rides (the fast is long.. not the ride)
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:23 pm Feel free to share your 3 most pertinent points.
Work out the most comfortable way to carry your bike for 30+ minutes at a time.

Walk 5km in your bike shoes on uneven ground to make sure you're not in agony.

Let go of the idea there is such a thing as a waterproof jacket; no jacket is waterproof for that length of time and it will help psychologically if you prepare to be wet and cold. Ditto socks.

Hope that helps :-bd
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Oh, point number four: don't take enough sleeping kit to be comfortable if you want to be quick.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:35 pm I don't like tussocks nor river crossings but have appropriately ordered (and ones arrived) 2 new sets of Dexshells that go near enough to th3 knees.... Dont like bogs either :roll:
i do hope that is tongue-in-cheek

if not, then don't enter the BB200

have you seen the photos from BB200 2018?
redefined_cycles

Asposium wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:48 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:35 pm I don't like tussocks nor river crossings but have appropriately ordered (and ones arrived) 2 new sets of Dexshells that go near enough to th3 knees.... Dont like bogs either :roll:
i do hope that is tongue-in-cheek

if not, then don't enter the BB200

have you seen the photos from BB200 2018?
Haha... its all the reasons why I've been held back previously. Still dont like em but willing to endure them :-bd
redefined_cycles

Not straight through for me. But planning to go as light as possible withouy sacrificing too much in the way of "luxuries"...

Walking 5km in bike shoes(must practice that... at a time)... reminds me that on the list is some more Five10 guide tennies (or the adidas terrex which everyone here rates highly)
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Never done a 200 so this may not be much help ,was going to this year but I spent 4 days on the big bear last week which is a group of 200s linked together ,the terrain is all natural and I can definitely say it includes bogs and tussocks ,I only managed to cover 50-55 miles per day ,maybe as I was only riding for 9-11 hrs per day ,but at the end of each day I was properly f@@ked , this maybe because I knew I had more than a weekends riding and pushing to do ,also I was caught in storm Hannah but even without the weather I don't think I'd have managed more than 70-75 miles in a day ,on top of the tussocks moors navigation was a bit difficult in daylight so I'd be unsure about doing it at night ,I'm not a strong rider so don't want to take a spot of someone who would be able to give it a better shot than me ,gonna give the big bear another shot before I enter a 200, it's not the route that's brutal it's the terrain
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

gairym wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:32 pm I remember an old conversation on here where someone (maybe me or might have been someone else) asked about preparation in order to perform well at the BB200 and Ian (Barrington) quite perfectly and bluntly suggested that one repeatedly ride that distance over that terrain so that you knew you could do it and then get to work on getting faster :-bd

Kind of incredibly helpful and entirely unhelpful at the same time!

So just do that :shock:
I'd argue it's more important to practice pushing / carrying / pulling your bike through tussocks, bogs etc.

I've finished in far better times than much stronger riders than me because I'm capable of getting my bike through some seriously nasty terrain fairly quickly.

Edit - I see this has already been covered by other experienced BB200 riders. :ugeek:
redefined_cycles

Big Bear challenge... Ive never quite goyyen my head round what that one is... normally google just points me to some ultra tough running events (pr is that what it is)... :o
middleagedmadness

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:11 pm Big Bear challenge... Ive never quite goyyen my head round what that one is... normally google just points me to some ultra tough running events (pr is that what it is)... :o
No ,Mike asked stu to link all the 200s together a few years back ,so it's the best and worst of a few years worth of bb200s
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No ,Mike asked stu to link all the 200s together a few years back ,so it's the best and worst of a few years worth of bb200s
That's true, he did. However, the BB does cover some ground never used on a 200 so I prefer to think of it as its own thing ... but yeah, it's kinda like riding 3 BB200 in one go :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:27 pm
That's true, he did. However, the BB does cover some ground never used on a 200 so I prefer to think of it as its own thing ... but yeah, it's kinda like riding 3 BB200 in one go :-bd
Don't tell me stu ,that's the end I done :lol: ,but still think it would be taking someone's spot who could give it a better go than me this year ,who knows if I ain't damaged myself again next year may be the year :roll:
Edit ,but looking back on it if I'd rode for a couple of HRs more each day I'd have covered 200 k ish in 36 hours ,so could be a green badge if I can get some training in :-bd
Last edited by middleagedmadness on Wed May 08, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

So. Let me jusy try abd get this round my simple head. MAM is gonna attempt another set of 3 BB200s before he feels ready to attempt the one :-bd proper madness...

Lemme keep contemplating this (entering BB200) idea of mine and making preps in the meanwhile (until entry is open) as well as getting advice of the professionals :geek:
middleagedmadness

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:33 pm So. Let me jusy try abd get this round my simple head. MAM is gonna attempt another set of 3 BB200s before he feels ready to attempt the one :-bd proper madness...

Lemme keep contemplating this (entering BB200) idea of mine and making preps in the meanwhile (until entry is open) as well as getting advice of the professionals :geek:
:lol: ,just to get used to the terrain ,there's nothing like it in the West mids the only bog trotting is after popping down the local restraint if the chef ain't happy that day :wink:
redefined_cycles

:lol: :grin: :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The BB200 routes vary, some are more rideable than others. All will have unrideable sections, these may or may not be traversed during the hours of daylight.

The weather can be variable, it is mid-October in Wales after all, 2016 was basically fine and warm, 2018 was the opposite with one of those named storms making the first 12hrs or so somewhat challenging. There was one particular river crossing that was pretty serious, that's ignoring the one with the washed away bridge where budding Indiana Joneses crossed via a fallen tree :lol: (the sensible ones took the permitted deviation). Mental strength is just as important as physical.

When you've been sent the GPX, look at it. Then look at it again and shake your head. The hike-a-bike sections won't be that long, the BW heading east from here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=291765 ... &A=Y&Z=120 to just before the summit of Moelfryn was last year's most significant section of tussocks. I got to the start of it just after dark, hmm.

As a muslim you may not appreciate the bacon sandwiches :wink: Resupply points may be sparse, on the 2018 route there were two if you were riding through with another at Llanidloes if you'd bivvied earlier. Pubs do serve food until later though the one I called in to at just after eight had shut the kitchen because they'd had no customers that evening :o Fortunately they could still do soup.

Edit: spend as little time at stops as possible. When you do stop try and double up on tasks: check the route ahead, check battery status of GPS and change if needed; etc.

Do a search on here for BB200 and you'll get a feel for the various editions.

Here's my blog post for 2018 - http://bobwightman.blogspot.com/2018/10 ... ition.html and for 2016 http://bobwightman.blogspot.com/2016/10 ... s-200.html
Last edited by whitestone on Wed May 08, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Spend the next few months developing a positive relationship with misery. Never ever doubt that you're going to finish and don't give yourself any sort of bail-out option. There will be times when you'll feel as low as you've ever felt but there'll be times when you feel greater than the greatest great thing and it can happen within the space of a few minutes. It's just part of the journey ... learn to enjoy it all.
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Haha I know that feeling coming through storm Hannah then by the afternoon I'd forgotten I'd had to put spare socks over my gloves just to try and get some warmth into my hands and everything was right again ,I called myself every c@nt under the sun in English Spanish and gailic that morning :lol:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Ask Stu to send you the 2014 route and pick a cold, wet weekend to practice on that.

The 2019 route will then feel like a doddle (maybe). :wink:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Spend the next few months developing a positive relationship with misery
By The Baby Jeebuz that is erudite. Stu, you obviously know my ex-wife.
I'm just going outside ...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

middleagedmadness wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:27 pm Haha I know that feeling coming through storm Hannah then by the afternoon I'd forgotten I'd had to put spare socks over my gloves just to try and get some warmth into my hands and everything was right again ,I called myself every c@nt under the sun in English Spanish and gailic that morning :lol:
At times like that I find it helps to swear to the gods of boners.
They don’t make themselves known; however, makes one feel better .....even if only temporarily.

When all else fails just tell oneself “I am boner” then carry on
redefined_cycles

Charliecres wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:47 pm Ask Stu to send you the 2014 route and pick a cold, wet weekend to practice on that.

The 2019 route will then feel like a doddle (maybe). :wink:
Oh no... not the 2014 route please. I heard substandard (I wrote that myself... not a typo automatic changed word btw Stu) tales of 2014...

I think might be more clever to go practice around them there ends with my Stan afterall (let me work on visa from home office)