Increased Welsh Access Proposals

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Increased Welsh Access Proposals

Post by Richard G »

Didn't see a thread for this... so I'm assuming I just couldn't find it with the search.

On the 4th of April the Welsh Government announced proposals to reform access rights for cyclists (and horse riders) in Wales, opening up (most) footpaths for use.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/trail ... appens-now

This is obviously just a proposal for now, but could make for a massive change to an area that many of us ride regularly in. This also potentially opens up bridleways for races... which is pretty interesting.

Hopefully they don't just leave this on a backburner forever, and hopefully the NFU etc don't get to bolshy in trying to stop it happening.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Increased Welsh Access Proposals

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This also potentially opens up bridleways for races
I'm told by those in the know that this is still a stumbling block and something which the horse lobby are (generally) dead against happening.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, not surprising really. It's mentioned in the article.
Do the plans include allowing mountain bike races on bridleways? As a horse rider, I don’t like the sound of that!

Yes, but it's worth remembering that cycle races are pretty rare and tightly regulated – if you want to organise a cycle race on any highway, then you need to apply to the police and local authority for permission, and they will assess the application and impose conditions such as road closures and alternative routes. This will also be the case for any off-road races.

Untimed group ride events are allowed on bridleways already, and these won’t be affected. We think it is likely that a new access code will include sections that apply to events on rights of way and access land.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm surprised that racing on bridleways is even brought up as an issue. If I was fighting for greater access rights I doubt I'd request that as it was almost guaranteed to hijack the other aspects.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Could always give them something to back down on that would make the other groups feel like they'd won something?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Didn't they try this a couple of years back and it failed?
Hopefully successful this time, then England will have to play catch up and we'll all be very happy :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, a couple of years back they announced they weren't going to do anything, which is why it's surprising that they changed their mind so quickly.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

then England will have to play catch up and we'll all be very happy
When hell freezes over perhaps.
May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

The Swedes have the right idea, you could go pretty much anywhere you liked. There were no such things as footpath or bridlepaths, just paths.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

dlovett wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:26 pm The Scots have the right idea, you could go pretty much anywhere you liked. There were no such things as footpath or bridlepaths, just paths.
FTFY :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm pretty sure allemansrätten predates The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Landslide wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:15 pm I'm pretty sure allemansrätten predates The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003...
The LRA only codified existing de facto access. My point is, you don't have to go far to experience the same sort of rights currently being fought for in Wales.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Landslide wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:15 pm I'm pretty sure allemansrätten predates The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003...
Land Reform in Scotland was largely based on the Swedish model. Unfortunately there are a number of landowners in Scotland who are ****s who do their best to obstruct access rights whereas I gather in Sweden everyone is pretty much on side.....
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Sorry, I thought Scotland gave you the right of access, but still in certain classes, eg foot only or bridleway access.

There were zero issues in Sweden with any access. However there was one nature reserve that bikes won't allowed in to protect the wild life, it was foot only. They do close off some areas any day now, to protect certain species during their breeding season, nut to me that's just common sense.

There were a couple of private signs, but they were on property driveways, very close to houses, which again seems perfectly fair. I didn't find any farmers blocking land with locked gates or anything. They operate on a common sense policy, enjoy the access to the land, but don't damage the land or disturb the wildlife if possible.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

dlovett wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:08 pm Sorry, I thought Scotland gave you the right of access, but still in certain classes, eg foot only or bridleway access.

There were zero issues in Sweden with any access.
Nah, we've never had bridleways. Access is "open" whether on foot, on horseback or on a bike. It also applies to rivers, lochs and canals, which is an even bigger deal if you are into paddling.

The same test of "reasonableness" applies - avoid houses where possible, don't cause damage, treat other users and land owners/managers with respect, avoid hunting areas whilst actually in progress etc.

Access issues seem to me to be very few and far between these days. Occasionally there might be a locked gate that needs scrambled over, that sort of thing. The wording of some signs can often be more proscriptive than legally allowed.

Thing is, it mostly worked this way prior to 2003 anyway. In fact, the initial drafts of the LRA were far more in favour of the land owners, with various restrictions on recreational use*. The F&M crisis occurred, many land owners were shown up to be prats and the recreational users were shown to be responsible during it. As a result, the bill turned on its head and we are where we are now. The LRA wax reviewed and updated recently but there were no changes to the Access section.

Edit: one of the proposed restrictions was on access during hours of darkness. Basically, it would have shut down the right to wild camp or even to travel off-road at night.