Shimano now have a 'Gravel' groupset.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Shimano now have a 'Gravel' groupset.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe it'll stop manufacturers speccing stupidly high road gearing?

https://gravel.shimano.com/en/components/
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Re: Shimano now have a 'Gravel' groupset.

Post by FLV »

If its the right price I expect it will. Looks alright to me, Hope it brings hydro braked sti's down in price too
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Pity about the Flat Mount calipers. Other than that, I'm very, very interested. I've just been looking at Miche Graff cranksets that come as low as 46/30 and use a standard 24mm HTII BB. I might delay that acquisition now.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Chicken levers too :grin:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The long cage rear derailleur is marked as for 1x11 use and not 2x11. Is that shimano just being fussy or can people think of a mechanical reason?

If I can slap on a new 11-40 or 11-42 cassette and a new rear derailleur on my gravel bike while using the existing levers and cranks without any bodges then it’ll be a much better fit for off road
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I was looking at Miche subcompacts too for when my current 105 compact needs replacing, so will hold on and see what prices are.

You need to get the new FD with it too, but that'd good for me.

I was assuming/hoping the long cage RD would work too with a double. Anyone know why it wouldn't?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:17 pm The long cage rear derailleur is marked as for 1x11 use and not 2x11. Is that shimano just being fussy or can people think of a mechanical reason?
Could be an issue with total mech capacity. For instance, RX800 rear mech will only handle 39T and with 2x cranks usually having at least 10T of a difference (and often more) that would only leave 29T for cassette range (so, 11-40T might still work but not 11-42 etc). Think of a standard compact crank having 50/34T - that's already 16T out of the 39T range so you'd have a maximum of 11-34T cassette.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I'm using 105 50/34 with a 12-42t and mtb shadow RD just now on my CX for bike packing. No hanger extender or anything
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah - a MTB SGS rear mech will have a listed capacity of 46T (and you can often get away with more).

My Amazon is still running an Ultegra triple front and a 11-32T cassette, with a 9-speed MTB rear mech.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:29 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:17 pm The long cage rear derailleur is marked as for 1x11 use and not 2x11. Is that shimano just being fussy or can people think of a mechanical reason?
Could be an issue with total mech capacity. For instance, RX800 rear mech will only handle 39T and with 2x cranks usually having at least 10T of a difference (and often more) that would only leave 29T for cassette range (so, 11-40T might still work but not 11-42 etc). Think of a standard compact crank having 50/34T - that's already 16T out of the 39T range so you'd have a maximum of 11-34T cassette.
That makes sense, ta. Going from the capacity the long range rd is only designed for a 11-42 cassette (ie 31). The oddity is that the medium cage only has a 38t capacity which means it can’t cope with 46-30 / 11-34 (39). Well those hopes were dashed quickly
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The oddity is that the medium cage only has a 38t capacity which means it can’t cope with 46-30 / 11-34 (39). Well those hopes were dashed quickly
Hmm. It might. Shimano are notoriously conservative with these figures. In any case, they only apply when cross-chaining and you'd never do that. Right? 😏
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Have Shimano sorted their microfracture induced leaking calipers out?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Ooo... may have to get the Brifters/ flat mount discs for my winter road bike :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm just hoping they've kept the cable pull compatible with existing (presumably road?) series. In an ideal world, they'd go back to cross compatibility between road and MTB groups, but I sadly think that ship has long since sailed...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Existing road stuff is, apparently, the same pull.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

interested to know the pull ratio of the rear mech
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Asposium wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:29 pm interested to know the pull ratio of the rear mech
The new shifters work with the existing RX800 rear mech, which works with all existing shimano 11-speed road shifters. That suggests to me that the new rear mech has the same cable pull.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 pm The new shifters work with the existing RX800 rear mech, which works with all existing shimano 11-speed road shifters. That suggests to me that the new rear mech has the same cable pull.
That's good
RX800 mechs and Ultegra shifters
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Rings too big on the 1x but nice to see a 10 speed option. You could mate the mech to bar end shifters on thumbie converters for flat bars as well if thats your thing.
due

Post by due »

Not a fan of Tredz, but they have some pricing up (all RRP I'm guessing):

https://www.tredz.co.uk/bicycle-compone ... himano+grx

The 10 speed stuff looks pretty reasonable, rear cable pull is the same as 4700 so that's a bit less of a dead end now in terms of compatibility.

Better late than never, but it's mental how long it's taken them to recognise that people want lower gearing, and not just for 'gravel'.
jameso

Post by jameso »

due wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:37 pm Better late than never, but it's mental how long it's taken them to recognise that people want lower gearing, and not just for 'gravel'.
...was asking anyone at Shimano who'd listen since the gen 1 Croix der Fer was out. 11 years ago. Daft indeed as I'm sure requests go back a lot further. Racing has far too much influence there. Mind you, SRAM could also have done it, they just hedged too much on 1x imo.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:41 pm Yeah - a MTB SGS rear mech will have a listed capacity of 46T (and you can often get away with more)
Interested in the possibility of the shifters and brakes from this groupset, running with an XT drive train.... 2x 10 or 2x11... to get a more load carrying/hill terrain focussed set up? Any one think this might be possible (mechanical not Di2)?

This sounds encouraging :grin:
ScotRoutes wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 pm
Asposium wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:29 pm interested to know the pull ratio of the rear mech
The new shifters work with the existing RX800 rear mech, which works with all existing shimano 11-speed road shifters. That suggests to me that the new rear mech has the same cable pull.
How would I find out more?
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

it's mental how long it's taken them to recognise that people want lower gearing, and not just for 'gravel'.
You always could get lower gears just in an unfashionable way- triples are still available - though becoming increasingly rare

No interest in a single ring for mine though as big is commute to work [ flat] small is for actual off road
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

^ I went with a full XT drivetrain on my sequoia; 11-40 cassette and 28-38 chainset
Perfect range for bikepacking and works really well with the Ultegra shifters
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

99percentchimp wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:43 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:41 pm Yeah - a MTB SGS rear mech will have a listed capacity of 46T (and you can often get away with more)
Interested in the possibility of the shifters and brakes from this groupset, running with an XT drive train.... 2x 10 or 2x11... to get a more load carrying/hill terrain focussed set up? Any one think this might be possible (mechanical not Di2)?

J-Tek Shiftmate 8/8a

http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmat ... s-choices/

I reckon that a 46/30 double front and a 11-34 cassette will handle almost everything I want to through at it. That's available without a Shiftmate. I'll lose a bit at the top end where it matters least. Nowhere near as low as MTB gearing of course.