Shimano now have a 'Gravel' groupset.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Re: Shimano now have a 'Gravel' groupset.

Post by Asposium »

99percentchimp wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:43 am
Interested in the possibility of the shifters and brakes from this groupset, running with an XT drive train.... 2x 10 or 2x11... to get a more load carrying/hill terrain focussed set up? Any one think this might be possible (mechanical not Di2)?
Rear GRX mechanical mech is road pull, so GRX shifters will not work with an 11speed XT rear mech (unless using one of those cable pull modification devices)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Today I demoed a Trek "gravel" bike. The drivetrain was basically Shimano 105. The only concession to anything "off-road" was that the cassette was 11-34. :roll: Chainset was standard road compact 50/34. Felt like standard road handlebars as well. Didn't feel like what I'd expect of a gravel bike, more a road bike that you might take along a canal towpath.

The shop's rep reckoned the GRX groupset would be on next year's bikes so should appear September time.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

My sequoia (circa 2017 iirc) had a sunrace 11-36 (have since fitted sram of the same ratio) and an fsa sub-compact chainset
Worked ok for gravel and roadpacking

The GRX sub-compact chainset looks interesting, even if it does mean a new front mech.

It is unfortunate that most gravel bikes seem to becoming fashion over function and going 1x
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

whitestone wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:57 pm The shop's rep reckoned the GRX groupset would be on next year's bikes so should appear September time.
I suspected as much, should be interesting to see
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Asposium wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:03 pm
The GRX sub-compact chainset looks interesting, even if it does mean a new front mech.
I'm currently looking at the Miche Graff cranksets.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Thanks for the input all.... I'll put my thinking cap on...

Thanks for the links to the Shiftmate stuff too - not come across that before as a solution.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/