WRT 2019 Story Telling

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Wilkyboy

WRT 2019 Story Telling

Post by Wilkyboy »

I'll start — I abandoned on Saturday due to shifter dismantling itself leaving me with a singlespeed, too cold, and not really in the mood. I made my way back to the car, admired the amazing starscape above Stu+Dee's place for half an hour, and then drove back to Cambridge.

On the plus side, I bumped into The Taylor and The Matt at the pub as I made my retreat, along with a couple of Simons and someone with an unusual name that I promptly forgot (because I'm terrible with names; I think I can remember it, but too embarrassed to try in case it's completely wrong, sorry). They were the only riders I saw all day, and it was a very pleasant hour, with dinner, before carrying on back to Bear Bones Towers :-bd

Write up on Strava, here, with pics: https://www.strava.com/activities/2343332173. As I didn't go very far then, apart from the murderous cows, there's not a lot to tell :wink:

Anyone else?
Taylor

Re: WRT 2019 Story Telling

Post by Taylor »

:grin:
Ernie
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

That's going to stick :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Wilkyboy. Just read thw writeup and left a little message. Well done buddy :-bd .. Possibly the name you forgot was Shona :grin:
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

I was going to do the full two days but decided to cut it short as I'm still recovering from an an injury and decided to err on the side of caution.

Ended up kipping overnight on the banks of Lake Vrnwy and then did a long loop east and then south onto the Montgomery canal. Was thinking of heading up onto the Kerry Ridgeway for the night but the legs said no so decided to hot foot it back to Barebones HQ.

Went straight down the valley via Newton and Caersws and Llawryglyn and up the mother of all hills.

Got a huge thorn in my tyre and a puncture right on the top of hill so close to the finish. Had a nice chap in an Aston Martin stop and ask if I needed help. Politely refused as there was no way I was going to get my bike in the back. Spent a further 10 minutes effing and jeffing at the thorn as it would not come out much to the amusement of the only rambler in mid Wales on a Sunday afternoon.

Finally got back and was pleased to be met by a friendly smile, cake and tea despite it being 6.30.

The bonus setting of back home earlier there were no caravaners screwing the nation's infrastructure up and I got back to Chesterfield in under 3 hours.

172 km in total and a battered body this morning.

My first WRT and I'll definitely be back for more. A big thanks to Stu and Dee everyone involved.
Powered by crumpets.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

I came to the WRT with a flexible approach, as I had two stents fitted in my heart on March the 1st. I purposely limited myself to just one OS sheet (215), because I am an idiot once I start, and not in a good way.

So my theory of only having one map seemed like a good idea. I did make sure I went to all the controls that were on that maps, both sides obviously :grin:

I did quite quickly realise though, as I cycled up and out of Staylittle, that as a return to the saddle for a decent weekend ride I should have chosen the NRT (Norfolk Ride Thing)! It was a lovely view at the top though, except the knackered old coaches obviously.

Other highlights were having Llyn y Tarw to myself for a very cold but bracing dip, as well my campsite for the night, which proved quite an interesting choice as it was f*!%*$g freezing at 3 in the morning :shock: I also met a couple who were both in their 70s, cycling down a bridleway I was heading up. They said they enjoyed riding off road (they were on traditional touring bikes, with mudguards) and were intrigued with the notion of 'Bikepacking', the gentleman said they have been 'Roughstuffing' since they met at University in the early 60s, but tend to use pubs and hotels nowadays, it is also quite probable they looked in a better state than I did too :oops: I also met a lady tending sheep on the track down from the windfarm at Llanbrynmair. She was about 5' tall, 80 years old and asked me if I needed a hand with getting my bike through the gate :grin:

But all in all a great couple of days, and I will be back next year for the Bank Holiday as well.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

This year my lad John decided he’d like to come along, he’s been out several times with me including November and February’s BAM.
Met up with Tim and Stu at BB HQ, after the usual banter and prizes we headed out for the hills, I’d warned John that it might be ‘slightly undulating’ (TM pickers) and sure enough we were soon wishing for ropes and crampons. This climb was interrupted by having to rescue a ram which was caught in a barbed wire fence. The frisky fella had managed to do a 180 flip and knotted the wire around a horn. After loads struggling I remembered I’d packed the leatherman, surprisingly it went through the wire like a knife through butter, he showed his appreciation by knocking Tim over, perhaps he’d heard what Aussies get up to in their leisure time?
John got the full Wales experience, tussocks, bogs, big hills and impassable trails. Although he declared “I didn’t sign up for this” he did say the views were worth the effort. We found a nice bivvy spot near the pub and had awoke to frozen water bottles, during the night I made John poke his head out the tent, his reaction to a Welsh starscape was a genuine WOW.
The next day I decided that John was on the fine tipping point of enjoying it and never wanting to get on a bike ever again, I said goodbye to Tim Pie (super nice sheep guy) and Stu and we headed back towards BBHQ.
It ended up being a 30 mile/ 3000ft day including some big long climbs. We took it easy with long rests after , I enjoyed the slower pace sitting with my lad we enjoyed the views we had worked so hard for. With the pressure off and an end in sight he really started to enjoy himself, especially the downhills.
I’m very proud of the way he handled the ride, we had some monster climbing and for a ten year old with not a huge amount of cycling under his belt he did extremely well.
Just before he fell asleep one mile out of BBHQ he turned to me and said “thanks for buying me my bike, it’s the best present I’ve ever had”
One day he’ll realise that it was only the wrapping paper.

Thanks to MAM and Browndog (super nice sheep guy) for helping to shepherd my lad and to Stu and Dee for all they do for us, very much appreciated.

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Hey BidgummySteve, you forgot to mention that I very helpfully pointed out your back tyre was as flat as a pancake half way down the lane!

Hope you got it all sorted :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd . 'Wrapping paper' - subtle one but very true..
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Cheers Steve.

It was a brilliant weekend and huge thanks to Dee and Stu for putting on the show. This was my third attempt at making it to WRT and finally the Gods of Bikepacking let it all happen. Thank you so much.

Not wanting a huge ride and knowing none of the local terrain, I messaged MiddleAgedMadness Stu to ask if I could tag along with him and BigDummySteve on the Dad's n Lads ride, which was aiming for 15m on Friday, 30 on Saturday and 15 on Sunday. Perfect, as it meant we would be back to BB Towers early and I'd have a relatively fast drive home, which actually happened.

Sadly, Stu's son hurt his ankle and couldn't make it, so it was just the four of us who rode out to make the long push up over to Carno wind farm. AS BDS as mentioned, on the way up we released a young ram caught by his horns in some barbed wire. I hate cattle but I love sheep. There. I said it. I spent a season on a sheep farm in Aussie and just adore the lambing season. So I can't ignore a sheep stuck in a fence.

Anyhoo, after 10 mins wrestling with the fecker Steve remembered he had a tool with wire cutters. Clip clip and the beast was free: free to leap out of my arms, kick me in the leg and send my tumbling down the hill with a strained back that gave me gip all weekend. Bloody thing. Afterwards we did about 15 miles all of which was straight up, ate at a pub, and kipped at a lovely spot by a stream. No idea where, which was a theme for the weekend.

Saturday dawned cold and clear, and we left the bivvy spot for what was supposed to be an open cafe about six miles away. It said it was open Sunday, but not at 830 when we arrived. But after half an hour of talking poor show and drying tents in the sun, a young lady was dropped off and 20 mins later we were all well fed.

Off we went, more steep uphills, then a few more, then one we went up, came down, and went up again, till Steve had a quiet word with John near the top of another one, and they decided not to continue. He'd done amazingly well over a lot of ground that would have melted folks loads older and basically only needed chocolate and a few words to keep him going. Good lad. But TBH it was the right choice because the rest of the day (apart from a half hour sit in the sun on some pavement outside a Spa somewhere) was pretty bloody tough, though their ride back to HQ was pretty hard by the sound of it.

Best bits were two two massive HABs, one of which we could have avoided if we'd just used common sense. The second took us up over hill behind Carno, where we ate at another pub before heading back up to the windfarm to kip in some trees near the top. I'm not a strong rider these days but underneath was enjoying it all. Dont get this stuff in the Chilterns. Once we decided to pitch we were startled to find two other Boners up there already, but soon settled down to a very good sleep indeed. All four of us snored like chainsaws.

Thanks to MAM Stu for guiding the weekend. We were mostly lost off track most of the time but hadn't really gone far enough afield to ever feel it. I don't give a toss anyway. Everywhere round there is something great to see. I will definitely be back next year and am determined to knock a few kg off my bike and myself. Here's some pix.

I'm just going outside ...
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Nice write up Tim ,thanks for the company to you and BDS and John ,thanks for putting up with my many fag stops ,things worked out quite well with it being my first route I'd planned in Wales ,there was a bit of everything you'd expect tussock yomping , ankle deep in bogs and some lovely views ,shame the best decent of the weekend along rocky drop into carno was ruined by my squealing brakes ,couple of spot on Bivi sites found and noted for future reference ,( although the offer of the church yard in trefeglwys was nice I couldn't bring myself to sleep there,my time hasn't come yet for that Bivi ,as my boy says neither the devil nor God wants me so I won't be kipping in grave yards) a nice mixture of terrain with the odd stiff climb ,the train journey home was not the relaxing one Tim imagined ,it was packed so a stand up journey all the way home ,thanks stu and Dee :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Against my better judgment I decided not to continue to Aberystwyth with the train hen-party, and dismounted at Newtown instead to join the almost-equally entertaining “LHC Shorter” mob. Rather than use the canal towpath I screamed down the A483 to find them bivvy’d up at their secret castle lair, instead of the bird hides they could have chosen earlier on. Curiously several other groups also declined the hides, assuming another group would already be in them!

It was a chilly night but no frost, so we were surprised to meet the "LHC Longer" mob at the pub in Bettws Cedewain who said they’d had -4degC and frozen water bottles. What we weren’t the least bit surprised to find was that they’d been given breakfast but the kitchen shut 2 minutes ago so all we got was a meagre brew, sigh.

Various lanes and tracks led us towards Llanfair Ceireinion, chatting with a farmer on the way who almost treated my offer of £10 each for a pot of tea with the seriousness that I almost meant. As frequently happens on the WRT a byway soon disappeared into an impenetrable tangle and then a bog, resulting in all sorts of contortions to get bodies and bikes through. Steve pretending he knows exactly where we’re going (despite the fact that it was my fault anyway!) :-

Steve had already “lost” a couple of contestants near Stu’s, and two more due to mechanicals at the castle, and unfortunately one of the Shauns became the fifth "man down" after a mechanical as well. He managed to limp to Llanfair where the rest of us drank sympathetic pints while he rang for a taxi. Taxi HQ knew all about Stu and Dee but sadly the driver didn’t when he arrived, claiming he thought Pennant was a couple of miles away so another driver had to be called who didn’t know the way either!

“Other Shaun” cleaned the Spar out of bananas, and after a nice lunch we continued to Vyrnwy, bumping into the Long LHC yet again scoffing chips at the shop. A smart exit ensured we arrived at the pub before they did, joining the Burty And Mike party and various others. At this point we acquired Landslide to top our numbers up, only to then discover that “Other Shaun” was leaving us because apparently the hotel offered bivvying facilities! It was explained that they were prepared to allow him to bivvy in something called a "room" with a plush "bed" and a pre-installed wife, although there would be a small payment which we felt invalidated it as a BaM candidate. Curiously Shaun appeared not to care what we thought :wink: .

We pressed on and bivvy’d in Dyfnant Forest with a stunning star-scape to stare at until we nodded off.

Our idea had been to arrive at Llangadfan cafe before the hordes turned up, and a long downhill farm track brought us to the door at 08.29am just as the staff arrived. Huge compliments to the two ladies who cooked and served about 20 full breakfasts with good humour and good banter – the boss soon got the measure of me when I asked if the toms were “real” ones (not keen on tinned ones), replying “yes, the round red things” :grin: . The Burtys and Mikes et al set off for the “high road” through the forest, and we picked up Paramart, Big Matt, and Neil for a gentler bimble along the pass to Talerddig. Until the route petered out into a Welsh Bridleway that is, and then degenerated into one of the worst tussock hells we’d ever seen. Paramart and myself decided to stick to the “route” come what may, and enjoyed swamps, giant’s head tussocks, deep streams etc, to triumphantly emerge the other side unbeaten.

On, and on, and on. And on. Until the distant hill.

A final bit of lane to Bont Dolgadfan and the traditional cake reception, luckily with loads of DFLDC available for a change – thanks Dee. Twas great to meet loads of BBB-ers old and new, and I’ll finish with as understated a thanks as I can cos I know S&D don’t like a scene ;-). “Ta”.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lovely that Reg. A proper 'Thing'. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Reg: So, where did you ride today?

Me: I started at the pub, then took the lanes up to Llanfair something beginning with C…, where the steam railway is.

Reg: Ah yes, sounds similar to us.

Me: Yeah, there were a couple of tracks on the map that I couldn’t find on the ground…

Reg: Ah yes…

Me: Then I hit the jackpot with this fantastic bridleway…

Reg: Where was that?

Me: Just south erm west of Llanfair C-whatever, it was fantastic!

Reg, looking sideways at Steve: I said we should go that way…

Me: It was amazing – slightly downhill, but not so steep you spend all your time on the brakes…

Reg, looking sideways at Steve: I tried to tell them…

Me: …started out as a wide gravel track, then some prime grassupthemiddle, then just grass with a little ribbon of track snaking through it…

Reg, gently glowering at Steve: yes…

Me: …and I just whooped my way down it, shouting with pure joy…

Reg: …

Me: I was still buzzing in the café, 20 minutes later!

Reg: Well, that sounds lovely.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxMzuL4FBly/
psling

Post by psling »

Another WRT blessed with sunny weather although this year the average temperature must have been 15°C cooler than last year!
Raggedstone and myself had each come up with different routes but which shared a common section so we set out from BB Towers after bacon butties, weigh-ins and gifts from sponsors to begin along a route combining bits from both of our original pencil lines on maps. We started over Carno Wind Farm and then proceded over Cefn Coch Wind Farm - there seemed to be a theme developing here and my legs weren't liking it one little bit. The reward though was the far-reaching and extensive views over the superb Welsh countryside that make these climbs worthwhile. Undulating lanes carried us to the north of Newtown and a lovely grassy track dropped us down to the eastern edge of town. We managed to take on victuals in the garden of the Wagon & Horses and set out along the Montgomery Canal in search of a bivvy spot. The canal path was surprisingly quiet, we didn't see a single person on it until the next morning as we were breaking camp.
Sunday morning we continued into Welshpool where we were enticed into an artisan cafe by a pleasant young lady where we enjoyed fine coffee, bacon butties and good banter with the enticing young lady. Crossing the Severn south from Welshpool and we found more massive hills to climb, one after the other to find some great off-road riding past loads of history and down into Churchstoke for a late roast lunch (not quite as late as I first thought having read the time 14.29 as 4.29 and raced up the last hill to get to the cafe before it shut to find it would (obviously!) be open for a further 2.5 hours :roll: )
To maintain the theme of the weekend we found another humungous climb up onto Kerry Ridgeway and finally turning in the direction back to BB Towers. Night was spent on a field edge close to another windfarm on grass so lush I didn't bother with my mattress; another cosy night swathed in down before crawling out into shiver-inducing temperatures for a brew and breakfast. Some delightful tracks took us down to the Caersws turning for a proper breakfast at Seasons Cafe and finally across country to enjoy even more granny ring grinding up over the top through the forestry towards Carno Windfarm again and the freewheel down to Pennant.
Sorry, no pictures just words. After a day of rest I can now reflect on what a great weekend it was. Fantastic :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

To be fair re the Llanfair bridleway, we were battling with a number of mechanical issues at the time and Steve made the right call to go direct to town. I was more miffed about missing the ford :wink: .

barney

Post by barney »

A great weekend with Matt (MMonpoint)

Pace was glacial at best with minimal distance covered but we had a great trip with lots of pub food consumed, the frost on Sunday morning was a bit of a shock but luckily because I pack for every trip as if it was an expedition I didn’t get caught out.

In keeping with Stu’s rather divine “Blessed are the curious” quote I’ll keep the theme going. Sunday afternoon we followed a bright light that led to a Star (Inn). Sadly there was no room at the inn so we slept at the stable. Monday was a nice bimble back to BB Towers… but alas we could not find three wise men! :grin:

Wait for me...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Reg: So where are you heading next?

Me: Down this trail, along the road into Llanerfyl, then up this little track here…

Reg: Don’t do that, it’s steep!

Me: And then along this little track here…

Reg: Don’t do that, there’s probably not even a track there!

Me: Then along the road to here, which is one of Stu’s grid references…

Reg: This is the way you want to go, look, along here… through the woods…

Me (to Steve): I’m not sure if Reg is telling me this because he’s been up there and it’s actually a tussocky death-march or if it’s because it’s steep, or if he’s just really keen about his route or…

Steve: It’s a death-march, bound to be.

So, I had a little think about it, and a check of the various maps, and I went for it anyway.

And it was glorious.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxSjYA4lL0m/
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah it's cos I was dead jealous and dismally failing to put you off :smile: . My original 'loner' scheme was to bivvy up there. Next time. What was the terrain like after the lake? The b'way looked pretty Welsh on the map. Anyroad, you dropped a good ladder on the WRT snakes n ladders board there so fair play to yez :-bd .

In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

FAO Reg: the previously discussed double bagging method

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Reg*, the metalled** track went pretty much as far as it shows on Google maps. Then there was a couple of hundred metres of grassy track, then about a hundred meters of tussocky stuff past Llyn Lort, but not so bad as to be unrideable. Suspect it could get boggy, but fine at the time.
I tried to keep an eye out for bivvy spots, but kept on getting distracted by the cracking views. Plenty of flat spots, and a few craggy outcrops that could provide a bit of shelter from the wind.
One thing that did catch my eye was a little hut by Llyn Hir. A bit too far off the track for me to investigate, but could be worth a nosey?
The BW round Stoneshed Covert was a case of following the line on the map around the fence, but after that it was soon back onto decent track before regaining the road.

*And/or anyone else who's interested
**Gravelly land rover kinda stuff
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta, yep will squirrel that one away then.

'double bagging' - ta InRev, yes I remember, I was fascinated. Of course nobody will understand what we're on about (no change there for me then) and will probably think we're talking about some sort of dubious public school initiation rite..

benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

My Wrt. Just riding my bike

My journey started with classic mishap blagging, due to me not being able to read months, the critical chainring for my bike was due end of May so I could not ride my bike to the station. No bother, I loaded it up, took the wheels off, used two heavy duty Velcro straps free with an ikea mattress to make my bikepacking bike into a backpack bikepacking bike with the wheels also strapped up and set off on the 5km to the station. Couldn’t do it indefinitely, and would not like to try any hairy descents, but it was remarkably stable and comfortable considering I had a full bike on me back. I did get love tapped by an overtaking lorry cutting in early and not accounting for my wide load which was a tad terrifying but a few swear words to their number plate sorted that.

Managed to only forget crank bolts and rear axle to build up my backpack at Jacks that evening, but a spares box and trip to a bike shop Saturday sorted that out for an eye watering penny or four thousand.

After doing the TNR last year and only realising on the last night we had had this ticking clock inside our head pushing us on we consciously planned a route well within our limits with plenty of time for appreciating Wales in all its glory and so glad we did.

After leaving bear bones towers we had barely rode our bikes before we were pushing up a steep hill, but we had plenty of catching up to do which is easier when not having to concentrate on balance. Crossed our first bog and both got a wet shoe, no bother, it was lovely and sunny. Upon entering Hafren Forrest Jack boldly claimed that was all of the climbing of the day done. Almost, but once that has been said a 30s grind in bottom gear feels like a slap in the face.

Arrived in Llanbrynmair a bit early for dinner so had a sunny shandy before a banging mushroom pie then steamed chocolate puddings cooked at our camp spot. Forecast was for reasonably cold but no chance at all of rain so we set up our den blocking off the wind with an expansive groundsheet. Decided when I woke up shivering at 1am that the 200g quilt compromise was not worth it but scoffed a malt loaf which sent me into a couple more hours of nap.

Had hoped on second breakfast in Newtown but apparently Sunday means something out here so had to settle for a selection of Greg’s pasties which was a great excuse for an 8am doughnut, even if at the expense of a full Welsh.

The morning to night bivi felt so liberating. It was like those summer evenings you told mum you were just off on yer bike and promised to be home for tea, then ended up squeezing in before sunset with the widest grin and biggest appetite all covered in mud to stressed out parents and cold pasta. This whole ride felt that exact attitude of doing things because you wanted to with no external responsibilities. Brilliant way to be.

The beauty of bikepacking over any other cycling is the control you have. Want to stop for a brew? Go on then. Not ready to stop pedalling tonight? Keep going. Equally if you find a good spot but it’s the middle of the afternoon then why not? We regularly took unplanned detours, but seeing as the entire ride was one big detour, it didn’t bother us.

Despite the detours, and our pencil route estimates being wildly optimistic, we made it to the pub in Caersws way before dinner so stocked up on bread, cheese, and bara brith and kept going. Looking at the imminent rain and my inadequate sleep system we decided to head to a bird hide we had passed on the first day. Had a luxurious dinner sitting on actual benches before a rugged twitcher came and moved us on at 8pm to lock up.

Was remarkably hard to find a spot to sleep in the Forrest as everywhere seemed to be on some slope or full of roots but eventually found a flat mossy bit to build our den. Even after two thorough inspections a sneaky stick managed to stab through the spongy moss and puncture my mat. Not at all phased by this kit failure, I rolled over and calmly applied the glue then patch by head torch and was asleep within half an hour.

Had burned through our fuel making hot water bottles on the first night so had to settle for overnight soaked porridge and hope the Star Inn would provide the goods. Riding the mountain road there we were flagged down by a fellow Welsh rider from across the valley. Had a well earned brew and beans on while discussing our trip with our new friends Barney and Matt.

This last off road detour back to Bear bones towers was the best riding of the weekend with some steep slate singletrack that felt like we were on the edge of the world. Fast looping bridle way and river crossing we were having another brew and slice of delicious cake.

Many thanks to Stu and Dee.

Fantastic part of the world with great planning in all the right places without feeling all organised and prescribed.