Component weights (by sensible folk)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Component weights (by sensible folk)

Post by redefined_cycles »

:-bd not trying to make it a Weight Weenie house. But many of us do love a good component weight reference. So just add it here for future reference please... if you wouldn't mind...

Might help someone else out aswell, whilst they're trying to get their iron horse ready to win that WRT competition...

(no needs to go to shed and find where you wrote everything else down either in future as its all in a lovely jumbled file here :grin: )
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Thu May 02, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Component weights

Shimano Dura Ace 9001 shifter (right/left): 186g each
Shimano Ultegra 6870 Di2 shifter (right): 158g
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

redefined_cycles

Yes... Fair point Zippy. I hang my head in shame for starting such a thread... will just keep populating it myself (as theres always something they never have whenever I needs it :grin: )...

Now... I'll go to naughty corner and hang hwad in shame and change title :smile: ...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

IMHO it makes more sense to give real weight measures of bikepack specific kit,[ I have no idea what my components weigh.
if this is a goer i can do it for all my bags, sleeping bags, mats and toolkit
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a spreadsheet of my bikepacking kit :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: Measured after any mods I've done and rounded up to the nearest 5g - I'm just using kitchen balance scales rather than digital ones.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Johnnie. Yes, thats right. Real world weights thats relevant to us sorts (who've not got money to chuck and would lile to see their gear work in many environments for more than 250 miles and also dont have a Sunday Best bike as such)...

Bob... I think this thread to me is kinda your spreadsheet but more a wildWest dyslexia (organisational difficulties :-bd diagnosed) kinda equivalent.

The backstory to this thread is as follows (as brief as poss)
redefined_cycles

Re: Component weights (by sensible folk)

Originally my first proper (not including the Condor which was my introduction to road bikes and before that I used to have a fear that my wheel would fall into a drainage gutter on side of the road) road bike frame was the Canyon (Earnie) and it was boight with careful contemplation on weights. Could have got a Boardman frame in medium weighing less than 750g but I wanted robustness as well as being light so the Canyon was a good compromise at 950ish grams)...

Now I'm building the heavy steel Bertoletti (Legend he calls his company but we all know the only legend in our neck of the woods is Dee :-bd ... so I refuse to call it such) which is weighing in at 2100g for the frame. So decided that its time (if am gonna have such a heavy bikepacking bike) I may as well see how light I can get the Canyon down to without sacrificing its usability and making it one of them Sunday Bests (what on earth!!). Aiming at 6.5kg...

During the buiilding phase I've been looking at kit for Earnie (and using weight weenies as its always been a good 'goTo') but some items are just rediculously expensive (obviously) and others rediculously weak.

The last thing I looked at was losing weight on the cage and WWs referenced some cages down to 5, 8 and 11g. But quite frankly, aside from the price, they would be so risky that I dont think even Scott (Scattama) would use them. Hence have found a Supacaz in alloy at around 18g (weight to be added here once I end up buying/weighing it) which 'normal' people are using without issue...

So here we are. A weightweenies thread for erm, sensible - 'money is an issue'; 'I'd rather not risk it ta very much' - kinds of people.. Namely... you (all)...

Thread name changed accordingly... :grin:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

A big saving on sram can be the cassette, the XX1 is silly light.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:16 am A big saving on sram can be the cassette, the XX1 is silly light.
Thats v true BDS. But as soon as i swapped out my sram (on a shimano drivetrain mind) silly light cassette (which sold for good money and was still going strong after many miles with me being second owner) back to shimano. The shifting improved exponentially... Which in actual fact was only a fraction but that fraction meant I was back to slick perfectly shifts...

A weight saving that i therefore decided to forego (is that a word) and one of Hambinis vids explained why (probably)... Their (SRAM) manufacturing tolerances are a bit shoddy when compared to shimano which he described as 'almost felt as though their produced in a (sterile) lab...

:shock:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Light, durable, cheap, pick any 2 :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As light as needs be but no lighter :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

My lads deore shifts better than my sram drop bar setup. If I was on flat bars shimano all the way.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:54 am As light as needs be but no lighter :wink:
Thats the words I was looking for :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

After weighing my new genesis longitude and then adding a sus fork I've decided not to bother too much about weight. It would take a lot of bits and money to get the weight down so not worth it for me.
FLV

Post by FLV »

For today ill offer the following

Nordest sardinha ML steel frame is 2.76kg

Dt 350 148x12 on and arch rim, dt butted spokes with rim tape is 1.03kg