Refilling gas cannisters

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

Refilling gas cannisters

Post by petemaz »

I know many on here prefer meths, but I've been following some posts on one of the Facebook wild camping forums, where some folks are using a wee adapter thing to connect a large full butane gas can to fill a smaller one. I'm tempted to try it as it could save a few quid, however part of me thinks I might end up blowing myself up in a gigantic fireball.

Anyone on here tried this? (Refilling cannisters, not blowing yourself up)
Stumpym4

Re: Refilling gas cannisters

Post by Stumpym4 »

yep done a few with that little gadget, works ok , just make sure the receiving cylinder is very cold, it takes the gas better :) .. time to save a few quid
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Also make sure you weigh them before and after so you know how much gas is in there
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I have a said device

Works well
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks all, I might just give this a go!
HUX

Post by HUX »

Yep I do this. Works out about £1 a refill per 100g canister.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Could one of you please post a link to or photo of the adapter and the donor gas bottle? At nearly a fiver each for a 100g canister, this looks well worth doing! Thanks
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Just search eBay for "gas valve canister shifter" and you'll see the small adapter, cost about a fiver. They all seem to be located in either China or Hong Kong (but state UK supplier). Here's a link to a pic:
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/794463190493544765/

It appears pretty easy to do, but you'll find instructions and demos on YouTube.

quote=Retiredtester post_id=180869 time=1556752697 user_id=4696]
Could one of you please post a link to or photo of the adapter and the donor gas bottle? At nearly a fiver each for a 100g canister, this looks well worth doing! Thanks
[/quote]
HUX

Post by HUX »

I just use 1 of these and a pack of 4 227g go system butane/propane canisters. You get at least 8 full refills 100g

RIP

Post by RIP »

Thanks for this thread - useful. I've gone against my flimsy principals and got this from China for £1.16!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153331854194
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
HUX

Post by HUX »

Just remember not to overfill. A 100g sized gas canister should weigh about 198g when it's full. I never fill mine to 100% I just make sure there's enough for the trip.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I do this. Saves a lot of wastage as a nearly empty canister is as good as useless.

But...

Be aware that your filling the canister with butane. The canister probably had isopropane-butane mix in it originally, which burns much better at low temperatures (which is, ostensibly, why it was more expensive). Butane is fine as long as it's not too cold, so I keep a separate, labelled container for warm weather use. If you're planning to use it in the open in cold weather however, take propane.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks all
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

its boiling point is -2 so its good to pretty low temperatures and fairly easy [ if not that pleasant] to warm a cartridge if cold - obviously it will cool quickly in use so good for a bru kit probably not for 30 mins use
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

What are the donor cartridges? Those tall thin ones that look a bit like standard aerosol cans?

Are they recyclable?

Sounds interesting but I’m not keen to generate more landfill for the sake of saving a few quid.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

ianfitz wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:23 pm What are the donor cartridges? Those tall thin ones that look a bit like standard aerosol cans?

Are they recyclable?

Sounds interesting but I’m not keen to generate more landfill for the sake of saving a few quid.
Well I was planning to use the screwtop type cannisters, refilling a smallest with a largest, probably Coleman cannister. Plan is to buy one of those puncture tools, then I can chuck the empties in the metals recycling.

However I'm not sure if the aerosol type cans mentioned by others are recyclable....
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

ianfitz wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:23 pm What are the donor cartridges? Those tall thin ones that look a bit like standard aerosol cans?

Are they recyclable?

I am with you this. I was hoping for a way to refill the Coleman canisters from my 5kg patio gas, as shown by this friendly yank. Adaptor available on eBay here. Anybody made this work? I hate the idea throwing the Coleman canisters in landfill.

[edit] the photos in the eBay link show the refill with the patio gas upright, which seems wrong as it needs gravity to fill the small canister. And I think that's a US style threaded canister. Maybe this one would work? :???: [/edit]

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

you want the last one not that i have used it. I assume the plastic capped end screws into a calor gas type bottle
You certainly want to do it outside and away from ignition sources.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I refill from the large c500 isobutane/propane mix cylinders
Slightly more cost effective
—-

Is patio gas 100% propane?

If so, be very careful using 100% propane in a standard camping gas cylinder

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.co ... i.html?m=1

Edit:
Just google patio gas
It is 100% propane
Be VERY careful if doing this
As in, DON’T

If you do, underfill (by weight)
Don’t let the cylinder get warm
If the concave base of the cylinder starts to become not concave release pressure from the cylinder
Use a large cylinder, has more internal volume for gas expansion
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Eeeesh, I don’t have the appetite for that level of gas hackery. I guess I will have to look at the other options. Such a shame as the canisters are not easily recycled. See advice from MSR here:

https://www.msrgear.com/blog/recycling- ... canisters/